Sonic Robo Blast 2's 20th Anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how to write a post here without restating what everyone else here has already said (and what I myself have said in other news threads), but I've been persuaded to anyway because bread warmers make for extremely nice people, so here's the most original thing I can think of.

I don't have a nostalgic attachment to this game—I'm 18 years old and I've only had the game since about 2.1.11 or so, but even then I didn't really start playing it regularly until September of 2016. That's just about a year and a half of SRB2. Compared to the majority, I'm an extremely recent member of the community—and yet today I somehow find myself deeply intertwined with it. I spend a lot of time (admittedly more than I should) chatting with many other players on Discord and creating my own modifications—often doing both at once by means of collaboration projects. (As a side note, about a week from today will mark exactly 1 year since I started Lua scripting for this game). Honestly I don't know whether that's healthy for me or not, but I definitely don't regret letting this game take over my life. It's amazing to be a part of such a dedicated and creative community, and I've learnt so much from it. SRB2 and its fanbase motivates me to create things I never thought I would get to make. If 10-year-old me knew that he'd be able to program characters for a Sonic game in the future, he'd go flippin' nuts.

All this is to say that SRB2 is quite literally a work of art. 2.2 is such a big milestone not only because of the absolute marvel of a project it's turning out to be, but also because of the way in which it touches its players. Your hard work is inspiring to us, not in the least to me, and in my opinion that's one of the greatest achievements anybody can make. It's weird saying that about a Sonic fan game, of all things—but if my life can be impacted so much by SRB2 in as little as a year, I can't imagine what significance it holds to its long time players.

Everything looks fantastic, but I'm not a fan of the music. It's trying too hard to be intentionally retro, which seems all the rage nowadays.

The original soundtrack was built with synthesizer equipment from the era that SRB2 actually represents, and is a better reflection of 'what if it was on the Saturn' than any square-lead backporting can do.
If it has to be redone, my vote of confidence is to CobaltBW.

So, the new shield abilities.

Force gets an Air Brake, Electric gets a homing attack, And Elemental gets a Stomp... which might be a bounce if not under slime? I don't know.

Now I'm questioning if the Whirlwind Shield now has a passive ability. Then again, if it was immune to air currents, it probably could end up breaking some older maps, and that's the only power I can think of off the top of my head.

I also have to echo that I dislike the new music. Both the trailer and GFZ1 themes just feel... empty? It's hard to think of a better word.

Wow. Just WOW!

I don't comment much here, but I've been playing this game since Demo 2, and you guys have done it again. Each release improves SRB2 dramatically. It was already the best 3D Sonic fangame out there since the beginning, but from 2.0, I personally think it's the best 3D Sonic game. When I personally think it cannot get better, you guys do it again and improve it even more.

Thanks for doing this awesome game to everyone involved! I'll surely spend again a lot of time once 2.2 comes out, and every minute will be worth it. Thank you!!

Edit: I've just realized that SRB2 is the oldest webpage I still watch daily just in case there's any news, from more than 15 years ago!

Last edited:
I actually really like the new GFZ music. I do agree with who-what-where-whale that the piano makes the melody emptier since it doesn't sustain like the old "bwahhhhhh" instrument. However, the new feel is really nice and super appropriate for the new visuals and level design. The sound is a lot more varied and retro, while sounding fresh and new. The word "colorful" jumps into my head.

I am sad to see the old music replaced. That GFZ1 tune especially carries so much nostalgia for me. No one can deny how cheesy it is, though. I imagine coming into the community with fresh ears, and the new one sounds much, much better.

That being said, I'm in awe at that new trailer. It just keeps looking better and better! This game forever holds a special place in my heart. Watching it expand is like watching your child grow. I'm so proud of what it has become.

Just listened to that new GFZ music and I thought it was pretty meh to be honest, too Chiptune-y and that 8bit beat is blegh, at least we know this isn't the Final version, If I were to choose between this and the old GFZ track I would definitely go with the old one, also I hope you're not changing the music for Act 2 :<

Feelings on individual tracks aside, the aim is to replace the entire soundtrack (or at least as much as possible) to match the increased production standards everywhere else.

Starting with GFZ was probably not the best choice, considering everyone has strong (and sometimes contradictory) opinions on that zone. You'll get opportunities to hear other tracks for a more representative picture of the new direction soon enough.

Last edited:
Everything looks fantastic, but I'm not a fan of the music. It's trying too hard to be intentionally retro, which seems all the rage nowadays.

The original soundtrack was built with synthesizer equipment from the era that SRB2 actually represents, and is a better reflection of 'what if it was on the Saturn' than any square-lead backporting can do.
If it has to be redone, my vote of confidence is to CobaltBW.
A thousand times this. Synths mixed with high quality audio can work in some cases,
but for this it just sounds slapped on because "lol genesis".
It's also especially weird because it's just GFZ and not a techno level where it'd make sense, like ERZ.

CobaltBW's work was really great and I was entirely ready for if it was going to become official, but in this case I genuinely prefer the original.

Damn, 2.2 is looking hot. Is been a long time since i feel hype for SRB2 and wow, you bring the hype onto a new level

Anyway, 2.2 looks awesome and Happy 20th anniversary STJR!

Watching the trailer made me feel nothing but "what the fuck did you do to the engine, you absolute madmen". The new environments look mind-blowing and holy shit is that shield abilities!? Did Knuckles just use one!? It's beyond any description, really.

I guess I'll pitch in and say I'm not feeling the new GFZ1 either, and think that CobaltBW's rendition would have been a better choice. I am really feeling the song used in the trailer though, now that's a fucking song. Is it for Arid Canyon? Because it reminds me of the ACZ1 theme. Looking forward to see what you guys do with the more "meh"-sounding pieces of the current soundtrack like the boss theme and CEZ1.

2.2's lookin fuckin amazing from what I saw in the trailer, the spruced up GFZ textures, the revamped level design, everything's got me hyped! The overall rise in quality between 2.1 and 2.2 has me kinda shook tbh.

Also is that song used in the trailer a new Arid Canyon theme or something? It sounds really cool.

Every new incremental upgrade to SRB2 just keeps getting more and more astounding, and that's something to be proud of. It's proof of how much the developers and this community have grown over the past twenty years, even if the majority of us weren't around for all of it.

I can't wait to play 2.2 when it finally does come out, what with all the new improvements shown off in the trailer. You better bet I'll be there to watch the hype skyrocket when the time comes, too.

Here's to a great development cycle!

Looks like we will be getting a new intro to 2.2, considering what we saw here.

And I'm a fan of the new GFZ1 song - yes, it seems a bit empty at times, but you need to remember, this is GFZ, which doesn't have as much going on compared to the later zones.

I'm still wiping tears from this, shield abilities, new music, I came with a force of a thousand angry midgets.
I love you guys for making my childhood a blast, a Robo Blast, if you will

Honestly I'm about at loss for words when it comes to this. It's amazing and surpasses by far all my expectations for 2.2. Nothing in the trailer felt overlooked when it came to visual detail, the sheer amount of visual polish makes me wonder how exactly the renderer manages to keep up with all of this, y'all are wizards.
I'm especially happy about seeing shield abilities as well as a new soundtrack coming up, SRB2's music was waaay outdated and it was about time it recieved some fresh coat of polish. That way people won't feel obligated to use music_remade or to edit music.dta :P

But in any case, congratulations for having the willpower to still work on this game after 20 years, still bringing us material to save in our wet folder for further use.

And dear lord thanks for making the HUD use snapto flags, this thing alone made my day better, and made tons of people think srb2 had widescreen base resolution or something lmao

I don't really like the new GFZ1 music because of the blatant PSG and FM instruments used as if it's trying to imitate the Genesis. Sorry, but it just doesn't work for me in my opinon as I'd prefer mainly orchestral music rather than the hideously retro music.

I'm still questioning whether this is a dream or not, cause holy moly everything in this trailer had me overwhelmed even to the point of tearing up a little. Thanks everyone for having the motivation to make one of my all time favourite games the best it can be.

Now about the new Greenflower OST, I like it, but I wouldn't call it an improvement over the original and it instead comes across as simply a refreshing alternative to me, mainly cause it still sounds kinda empty and it doesn't really build of of what made the original memorable to me and many others. I know I'm far from the first person to say this, but if I had the choice to pick a new song for Greenflower I would easily pick Cobalt's rendition of the song, as it add's a nice variation of instruments while still retaining that Srb2 charm and improving on the original melody while sounding a lot less empty.

But those are just my two cents on the matter, fantastic work nonetheless guys!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back