Official SRB2 Community Discord

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think the community is dead or quiet, please join the discord. The community is actually a lot more alive than you think! And unlike IRC, which was super depressing for some reason, this one is fun!

It's not uncommon to hear "The mb is dead" in there, and it's probs because all the activity really is in there.

Hey now, no need to bash the IRC channel. I had my fair share of fun in #srb2fun and other channels on IRC two to three years ago and met a lot of people in the community through #srb2fun because of it.

Honestly I suspect that a lot of the people around here who complain about the IRC room are only remembering their original experiences from joining it years ago and getting told to shut up for being an obnoxious child. They're no longer an obnoxious child and therefore they'd fit in fine now, but all they remember is that initial experience of being told that we don't care about their stupid fan character or whatever they wanted to talk about back then.

The tone of the IRC channel and Discord are pretty much the same, so if you're loving Discord and hated IRC, I think you simply have grown up and haven't been in IRC since.

You guys may be right... the last time I visited the IRC I was totally obsessed with Shadow the Hedgehog.

Sorry! :)

[Warning: big post ahead, just felt like adding some relevant experiences of mine to the discussion]

The tone of the IRC channel and Discord are pretty much the same, so if you're loving Discord and hated IRC, I think you simply have grown up and haven't been in IRC since.

More to the point, a fair portion of the people on IRC also happen to hang out on Discord too. So essentially it's the same people as on IRC plus some extras! Almost makes you wonder what the difference between Discord and IRC is (no don't answer that).

That said though, I'd also say (to a point) many of the old IRC residents themselves have grown up over the years. When I started going to #srb2fun and the MB myself nearly a decade ago, I didn't exactly get the best start as a newbie. I think I was considered a bit slow or under a rock etc, and perhaps a bit silly. So as you can imagine, at times I wanted to stay away - I remember hanging out in sub-communities such as SRB2 Wadbase (unrelated to Skybase) to do so somewhat.

But as I stayed on, some of the worst people were outed or left anyway, and others became more reasonable over time. And surprisingly, some of the younger ones even turned out to be reasonable people who make really cool stuff! I'd say now the people at the IRC channel, as well as the MB, are much better than they used to be.

I've personally tried to be reasonable and helpful to new people so they aren't put off like I almost was (at various points), but it's not always easy. If I have personally put people off our community, please forgive me. I'm not scary, honest! =(

A monster who doesn't want you to think he's scary? If you're genre savvy, you won't believe him!

I kid, I kid. I remember being a total dingus and being disliked in return, but being nice to new people is a gift that keeps givin' - and makes this a nice lil' cubbyhole of friendship the hedgehog.

Heyo, gonna try to ask politely, I know you guys like Discord and all but you could gush about it without dragging down the places that certain people prefer, thanks have a nice day
True, seems like IRC has a bit less activity going around through but it still shouldn't be neglected, wonder if a bot that forwards the messages could keep both places connected in a bit, although at the same time this could lead to people thinking "why should I be in the IRC if I can be at Discord and get to see stuff", so not sure.
[Warning: big post ahead, just felt like adding some relevant experiences of mine to the discussion]

More to the point, a fair portion of the people on IRC also happen to hang out on Discord too. So essentially it's the same people as on IRC plus some extras! Almost makes you wonder what the difference between Discord and IRC is (no don't answer that).

That said though, I'd also say (to a point) many of the old IRC residents themselves have grown up over the years. When I started going to #srb2fun and the MB myself nearly a decade ago, I didn't exactly get the best start as a newbie. I think I was considered a bit slow or under a rock etc, and perhaps a bit silly. So as you can imagine, at times I wanted to stay away - I remember hanging out in sub-communities such as SRB2 Wadbase (unrelated to Skybase) to do so somewhat.

But as I stayed on, some of the worst people were outed or left anyway, and others became more reasonable over time. And surprisingly, some of the younger ones even turned out to be reasonable people who make really cool stuff! I'd say now the people at the IRC channel, as well as the MB, are much better than they used to be.

I've personally tried to be reasonable and helpful to new people so they aren't put off like I almost was (at various points), but it's not always easy. If I have personally put people off our community, please forgive me. I'm not scary, honest! =(
You call that big? You should see some of my walls of text /s (would also cross it out but I don't know the forum tags for that)
Jokes aside, "people that understand the issue, what is this? Is this the chance of a good Sonic Community", well really jokes aside now, think I could've written that part different and it probably came over as more obnoxious than anything:

I'm glad to see such posts because that's exactly the issue and something that applies to many things in general, I know that especially the Sonic Fanbase can have all sorts of people.
Of course people aren't perfect right off the bat and it's the best to be friendly to them, support and help them out but also point out their mistakes, that way they can learn and also add to the community, should they want to and stay.
Of course there's people that jump from one thing to the other but being supportive to people just increases the chance of some members permanently being here or doing great things.

I do think you're doing a good job at it MI, in a way funny a "Friendly Monster", but like the user title says, Friendly Neighbour-Hood.

I think SRB2 probably benefits largely from the fact that a good deal of the people who were on a decade or so still hang around. We were all naive, immature, or an asshole at some point (I'm definitely no exception), but age and experience helps keep us pretty grounded as a community.

Even though I'm an avid Discord user, I'd actually like to visit the IRC sometime. I just haven't bothered looking for a really good IRC client. Discord's benefit is its simplicity.

avxZp1q.png

one advantage irc has over discord is that it doesn't have a tendency to die

It's a benefit of all decentralised services!

But yeah, IRC is a specific example.

I've been around long enough on IRC to remember dying IRC networks, so it IS a thing that can happen, but generally it's less common than on larger, centralized networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back