A Big Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoganA

Administrator
Administrator
Sonic Team Junior
Posted by Mystic on 04-01-2017 04:00 AM.

It’s been a while since we had a proper update, but we have something special for you today. Over the years, we’ve received a lot of community feedback. Of all the things the community has suggested over the years, extra characters is by far the most popular. Today, I’m happy to announce that along with slopes, 2.2 will feature a fourth character: Big the Cat!

That’s right! Big the Cat has made it to SRB2! The first thing you notice is right in his name: he’s almost double the size of the rest of the cast, which is obvious even with the analog camera in this shot. Big uses this bulk to deal extra damage to foes and have a base jump even higher than Sonic’s.

However, I’m sure that’s not what you’re thinking when it comes to Big. Of course, Big’s primary feature is his ability to fish! Pressing spin while standing near water still starts fishing, allowing you to hunt for the one that got away. Your biggest catch in the stage is displayed at the top of the screen instead of score.

However, fish don’t just live in clean water. Big can fish in slime, mud, and even lava! If it’s a liquid, cast a line and see what you can pull up! To complete the stage, you need to find Froggy, but there’s tons more to find! Along with fish, you can also fish up junk, rings, or even super sneakers.

Finally, Big has been fully integrated into the game overall, including exclusive emblems! Fish up a big enough fish in each stage for the fishing emblem, which can get really difficult as some of the later stages require finding a very huge fish. There’s nothing like the thrill of finally landing that lunker after several hours in GFZ1.That’s all for this update, but join us next time when we introduce you to our fifth character, Charmy, complete with voice clips!
View on SRB2.org

Last edited by a moderator:
tumblr_ok0wfkDMF61w1kerio1_r1_400.gif

Holy crap, I'm so excited my nose is bleeding! Please send help. Also you guys could work on the level design some more.

EDIT: How does one cast their line into THZ Goop?

Last edited:
A bug we're facing with Big is that Froggy seems to get caught in waterfalls. We'll have that fixed before the release, of course.

Holy crap, I'm so excited my nose is bleeding! Please send help. Also you guys could work on the level design some more.
We've added a school of new paths to each level to ensure that playing as Big nets you a whale new experience through the game.

Looking around these screenshots, we can see that we have more GFZ, DSZ, and THZ visible, as well as close ups of the new sunflowers and hd gargoyles... But there seems to be something... Interesting in the final shot.

srb20446.gif

Everything I know about SRB2 is a lie. If you asked me a few years ago which announcement seemed more fake—Big as a playable character or loop physics in Software mode—I think I would have answered the loops.

Last edited:
Just when I thought I was out, they reel me back in.

I've bawled at people about this for years now. Finally, they come to realize SDURFishing as the character ability that was sorely missing from the vanilla package. Bless you all

I thought it was a very important thing that each character's goal would be the same, being to only get to... the goal. (Or beat the boss or something.) What made you change your mind on this and give Big a completely unrelated objective, and how is the normal goal blocked off for Big, and how does that exit-block work in multiplayer (whether there's no Big, a few Bigs, or only Bigs)?

Currently what happens in cooperative is that if one player is Big and hasn't caught Froggy, the normal character exit will be blocked off entirely. This is to ensure that everyone actually works together - Tails players can help carry him (with reduced flight time for realism) to the best fishing spots in order to increase the likelihood of a catch, Knuckles players can break open their paths so he can get exclusive drops he'd be unable to pick up in the singleplayer campaign normally, and Sonic players can homing attack all the badniks in order to keep his fishing spots safe.

Whilst we haven't finished prototyping Charmy, the intent is to make sure that everyone serves their true overlord at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back