2.2 Slope Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... let's visit this probably-dead community I haven't browsed in about 1.5 billion years. It's probably full of tumbleweeds and another one of glaber's old level compil-

rhplog_th.jpg

Yeah sorry haha, I have a lot to catch up on! I've missed a lot since I last came around!

Seriously though, the new textures, sprites and level designs look like something that came from a team of people you'd pay. SRB2's community keeps surprising me with the amount of love and care that's gone into it throughout the years, by new and old members alike (it's good to see a lot of you guys still around!)

Rip GFZ1 sky.

Really though, this is looking neat. My only gripe with slopes, which I've had with them even since stuff like SRB2CB, is that they feel kind of unnecessarily heavy to walk up. Like to get up even a very shallow slope you need to be moving pretty fast, even though the gravity itself is floaty as hell in this game. I guess it probably is actually pretty accurate to the classic games, but I always felt like having weight to a character was handled well in, say, Sonic Adventure 1. It wasn't hard to go up slopes in that game but your character still felt like it had weight to it, if that makes any sense.

Plus in SA1 you could run on the walls and that was neat, not that I think seamless transitions between curve and wall would be easy or even possible in SRB2

Last edited:
The only one powerful enough to incorporate Wall Running into is SRB2 is the MegaWizard known as RedEnchilada

I meant sideways gravity in SRB2 will never happen offically since it requires a whole lot of frames to make for character sprites.

Uh just move the camera if you want sideways gravity, im not for sideways anyways.

Haha "turn the camera sideways", if only:

why_sideways_g_needs_more_sprites_extended.PNG

Yes we'd need to make a ton of new sprites for sideways gravity to work, no amount of sprite rotation software or in-game sprite rotation etc can fill in all of the missing angles that would be needed. (Not to mention the above unfinished example would just be for THE STANDING, THINK ABOUT THE NUMBER OF SPRITES IN TOTAL FOR EVERY ANIMATION ALTOGETHER)

So yes, sideways gravity is almost certainly never going to happen in SRB2.

Top down sprites would have to be made manually, Though i don't think it's the same case for the rest of frames, Can't you just ... Like, Rotate the existing sprites, There are already many softwares that allow you to easily rotate images :

660305PLAYA5Copie.png

809529PLAYA5.png

424463PLAY2.png

559762PLAY3.png

710759PLAYP2.png

500337PLAYP3.png
EDIT : Or do it the same way you did with ERZ2 ?

Last edited:
You guys really want custom characters to be even more of a time sink than they are now, right?

IIRC even Sonic X-treme angled the camera when wall-running to prevent having to render all the associated angled frames/had Sonic curl into a ball while moving across those fancy winding paths.

That only works for the sprites where you're still viewing the player directly from the side, Romio. The issue is all the NEW sprites that have to be made.

Even if you just had Sonic tilted 90 degrees while only able to face forwards or backwards, and assuming we coded in rotating the other sprites by 90 (that wouldn't be impossible at least), that's at least 6 extra sprites to make: 2 top-view diagonals, 2 bottom-view diagonals, and directly below/above. Now considering there's usually something like 33 frames per-character that have angles, that's 6*33, or 198 extra sprites to make for a character total.

When you're going crazy and allowing to face any angle vertically though like in my example image, you may as well give up with spriting a character and just make MD2s instead. Because now that's at least 12 extra sprites to make per frame (5 top-down, 5 bottom down, directly above and directly below, if you're going by my example image), so 396 extra sprites. That's beyond the average spriter's patience most likely for a decently sprited character. =V

That's just for standing on a wall directly to the side. =V

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back