2.2 Slope Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will it finally be possible to also make that annoying drowning music shut up?

Just mute the music and the midi channels. All you get is the drowning sound effect. Tbh i dont play with music and midi on, just sfx and have windows media playing the background. :T

Looks like the slopes will really be worth the wait when they come out! Everything looks great and I'm liking the visual overhauls and tweaks. I look forward to checking out the new levels whenever they are ready.

There's no trail when you're charging, it's literally just when you're rolling and thokking now - and considering you have the same sprites for rolling as when you're jumping, there's plenty of opportunity to appreciate the sprites in the air AND symbolise how heckin' fast you're going on the ground.

But I mean. It seems to be a very common problem with the gif shown off, so we'll look into improvements there. I just don't think framing it as a spritework-appreciating thing works.

Last edited:
Actually I think it would be much more tolerable if the spin trail was more transparent (like 70%?) and that the transparency didn't stack with multiple spin trail object. That way you would still have the trail showing how much fasts/s you travel and you can still see around you as well while rolling down a slope.

Wow, All those changes are Amazing, The GFZ walls are neat, plus with slopes it will make it better.

I think that we should have a larger default cam_dist and cam_height. More specifically: a cam_dist of 325, and a cam_height of 50. I just feel like that gives you more of a look of what's around you rather than having your character take up a lot of the screen.

(For anyone that remembers, those camera parameters are SRB2CB's default cam_dist and cam_height. I've been using those camera parameters ever since it was released long ago, and I feel like that would be much better for the game.)

Comparisons:
tV0MCk9.png
itm566i.png
Also, more of on topic, this really is fantastic work! SRB2 really looks extremely beautiful. Can't wait for 2.2.

Last edited:
I think that we should have a larger default cam_dist and cam_height. More specifically: a cam_dist of 325, and a cam_height of 50. I just feel like that gives you more of a look of what's around you rather than having your character take up a lot of the screen.

I actually agree that the default camera is too close, but I think your suggestion overcorrects and places it too far away. After fiddling with it a bit, a cam_dist of 200 and a cam_height of 30 feels like a happy medium to me.

eTktCb9.jpg
But I think a better idea might just be to add a few presets for the camera. Near/Medium/Far that you can toggle between easily.

A
cam_dist of 325, and a cam_height of 50
A
cam_dist of 200 and a cam_height of 30
and
Analog's cam_dist of 192
ether way you can still change both of those in the console as well as making a TXT document to set as an exec bind if you don't like cam_dist 128.
my camera settings are cam_dist 128 (if i use analog) and cam_speed 0.8
so to me this sounds like a personal preference thing.

If you mean the layering issues when you intersect slope planes within a sector, no and there are no plans to fix it. It's been said multiple times before, but computing possible intersection lines for every combination of slopes in a sector would add too much processing overhead and/or be too much hassle to implement, for something that can easily be worked around in most cases and isn't really worth dealing with the rest for.

Computing possible intersection lines for every combination of slopes in a sector would add too much processing overhead and/or be too much hassle to implement, for something that can easily be worked around in most cases and isn't really worth dealing with the rest for.

This wouldn't be an issue for a quantum computer!

SRB2, Quantum Edition, where you landed that jump but probably didn't anyway.

Whoever designed the new textures for the walls in the game, and whoever redid GFZ, are those with the gods, I can't wait to replay those zones now.

I would like to remind you with the fact that the camera distances more away from you when you start moving your character forward. You want to be able see your character, so you know what angle you're trying to go at. The real issue comes when you go back towards the camera at high velocities, in my opinion. Ironically, the quickest solution to that problem is, well, making the camera further away. Then again, I usually have cam_speed set to 0.9 when I play...

Last edited:
I don't even know what impresses me the most out of this update. Everything looks high-quality as fuck.

Regarding the camera thing being further back, I think it would be a lot easier for the camera to get stuck behind walls if it was back farther. Also maybe the mouse turning would be a bit funky, but maybe it can be playtested to see if either of those would be an issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back