2.2 Slope Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoganA

Administrator
Administrator
Sonic Team Junior
Posted by Mystic on 11-04-2016 04:19 AM.

It’s been a while since we last posted about 2.2’s progress, but it’s time to finally talk about the major changes we’ve been making. Some of you may remember from previous development discussions that slopes, while cool, would require us to pretty much rethink the entire campaign. This was even put forth as a reason not to implement slopes because of the amount of work it would take to do such a retrofit. Of course, now we do have slopes, so much of our development time recently has been involved in retrofitting our previous stages and figuring out what needs to be done to update them with slopes in mind. At the same time, some of our stages are rather ancient, and have needed a visual update for some time.

I’m happy to say that both of these things are actually very far along, and it’s time to show off what we’ve been doing to you all. As with all previous preview posts, everything you see here is subject to change, and if you look closely at the high resolution version you might even notice a few amusing bugs from the test files these screenshots were taken with.

To start off, Greenflower Zone’s visuals have long been maligned by a large section of our fans. Here’s the new look, straight from the start of the game. You’ll notice that the textures have finally been changed, the flower sprites are also updated, and there’s now a skybox instead of the ancient sprite edit sky from almost twenty years ago.

The visual updates include more than just the textures and sprites, too. Here’s the opening valley of GFZ2, with some extra detail added along with the slopes to make the stage look less monotonous. Some of those alcoves provide helpful items to boot.

GFZ’s gameplay is also being heavily revamped, with significant usage of slopes, both as a teaching tool and just because they’re fun. There’s no way to show this entire concept in a single screenshot, but rolling into the horizontal spring here will send you quickly rolling down the hill and flying off a ramp at the bottom.

Techno Hill Zone has also been given a pass of fresh visual and gameplay paint, as this shot of the Knuckles route shows. Note that slopes can be used for visual effect just as much as they can be used for gameplay, making this room look way better than the 2.1 version.

Here’s an even more dramatic example of using slopes for scenic purposes in the underground alternate route of THZ1. While the gameplay here is still mostly the same, the visual update makes the area feel way more dramatic, especially when going for that emerald token.

Despite its recent age, THZ2 is not being neglected, as shown here with an early version of an entirely new route. Obviously, THZ2 needs way less work to bring it up to date than the previous stages, but it could still use a little additional polish.

Deep Sea Zone is in the process of a complete remake, and slopes have been heavily integrated into it, as seen in this room that would have been unthinkable in SRB2 five years ago. One act of the remake is already completable, and even those of you who hate water stages will likely find something to like in it.

Here’s another example of the gameplay value of slopes. To reach the platform with the emerald token at the top of the hill, you’ll have to spindash up the slope. This screenshot also shows the “outdoor” DSZ areas, with an open skybox of the sea around you.

Act 1 of Castle Eggman Zone is notoriously the worst stage in 2.1, and we’ve previously talked about how we’re completely redoing it. Here’s a neat example room from that remake, which takes slopes and combines them with a zone gimmick.

There have also been a lot of quality of life changes to many of the zones, such as this shot of how the arrows the robo hood fire now have little trails to make them way more obvious. They also make sounds before firing, which should prevent a lot of the cheap shots that they’ve been known for. As a note, this shot is so bright because lightning happened to strike right as I took it.

The special stages are also receiving updates to fix some of the problems that made it into release and make some of them more interesting. Here’s a shot of the current beta of special stage 3, showing the new layout to a room that was previously pretty boring.While 2.2 is indeed going to take a while longer, I hope this at least shows we’re not just sitting here doing nothing. Slopes are a huge game-changer for SRB2. While it’s going to take us a while to fully realize their potential, I’m happy to say that initial results are quite promising.
View on SRB2.org

Last edited by a moderator:
As a reminder to everyone, discussing known information and speculating based on that information is okay, but don't go on tangents or make baseless speculation or absurd claims. To start off the thread, here are the answers to the questions I KNOW half of you are dying to ask yet again:

1. There is no release date. Asking will not change that. Making stupid jokes about how long it'll take will also get you infracted.
2. The netcode is still just as shitty as it ever was.

Keep things civil and intelligent, for everyone's sake.

I want to make a single query, in this version the same types of games are preserved or will add new, that's my doubts about this version is to come.

I really like where you guys are going in terms of looks and design. I seriously can not get over how Greenflower Zone and Castle Eggman Zone look now. I'm really excited to play through the levels whenever 2.2 drops.

Just a little question, in the first Castle Eggman Zone screenshot, I noticed that there is fire surrounding Sonic, is that a new shield ability you guys added or was that leftover from spindashing? You guys put in a lot of hard-work into this and it definitely shows. Keep up the good work guys!

The only thing that bothers me at this point is the old spin trail; it's simply OK when not on slopes, but in that GFZ2 gif it blocks your view so badly <:u

...but that's just me being kinda nitpicky; I got giddy over some of the incredibly minor details like the NiGHTS hud using one of the new shades of purple to GFZ2 having that little bridge/alcove over it at the beginning. I love how that THZ1 underground tunnel looks, too; it makes me think of a big super villian lair. I'm really stunned by how much there is to look at in this news post~!! :D

Last edited:
DdrAE5u.jpg
Slopes are a huge game-changer for SRB2.
Pun intended, right?

Honestly I love what these screenshots are showing, because it'll mean a new challenge in record attack. I can't wait to see what the other NiGHTS stages especially will look like, Black Hole Zone included!

Last edited:
Oh shit, this looks amazing!

...I've also realized that with the amount of work you guys are putting into 2.2, it's not going to be done for quite a while. Damn... well, I'm sure looking forward to it!

DdrAE5u.jpg

Extremely funny. Thank you.

This popped up on Facebook for me ("SRB2 just posted for the first time in a while."—also hilarious). And y'know what? I am pumped. I still cannot believe the dedication that goes into this game, and while I disagree with some of the visual changes, I'm probably just a curmudgeon who wishes we were still running 1.09.4a, and that detracts not from the serious love that goes into this game. Devs, you are all amazing, and I thank you again for putting so much time into this fantastic game that has taken so much of my life.

So thank you, and, god damn it, keep up the good work! I cannot wait to see what comes of this.

One thing that didn't make it into the newspost: To those of you fretting about Meadow Match, don't worry. All of the old Greenflower textures, flats and flowers will continue to be in srb2.srb so it can look as old as the day it was born.

Wow, that waterfall in Deep Sea Zone looks amazing, and all the zones being updated with new visuals is something I've wished for a long time now! With slopes being relatively new in 2.1 so much more can be brought to stages now, including better visuals (like in the pictures above), gimmicks, etc. With the addition of horizontal springs it can make gaining speed more easy then it already was.

Could we expect a red variation of horizontal springs for more speed? (and maybe a blue version too?)

Goodness wow, I freaking love the new GFZ Textures, It's already my favorite 2.2 Stage, looking forward to play all of these, keep up the good work guys .

The horizontal springs.... just. yes!

But the thing that really made me smile is the attention to detail on the little things, such as redone sprites for the Spikes, air bubbles, rings and other deco sprites.

Also, i am glad the GFZ sky is a different shade of blue rather than a plain sonic blue.

Makes me even more hyped to see these screenshots

EDIT: also are those new GFZFLR textures? They seem a bit more bezeled

Last edited:
I love everything about this newspost but the spintrail in the GFZ2 gif. Sure it looked ok with no slopes, but it just gets in the view and masks everything now, which is kind of a shame because you guys even made the old dull Greenflower look so much better with these new textures!

EDIT: And I shouldn't forget, toaster did an awesome job with Tails, I'm looking forward to see all of the other frames when 2.2 comes out! :D

Everything looks neat, from the characters sprites to the amazing levels. I cant wait to play Green Flower for the first time with all of that new changes. Congrats SRB2 team!

I wonder if the bosses will also be revamped/edited?

The textures and slopes make the game look way more vibrant and I love it.

AND THAT WATERFALL.

The game's looking great. Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back