Character wad Sprites are white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katch

The old Donut guy
Recently, I have been learning how to make character wads, so I began to make a test wad (a UFO) for srb2kart to get started. I got everything working, with the help of a some people from the IRC. But, every time I play as my wad, the UFO is white.

The picture of the UFO:
3whw4.jpg
/
35kvriq.jpg

Yes, I'm new to making sprites, but that isn't the point.

This is what it looks like in-game:
a0uiv8.png

I already checked the wiki like a thousand times, but if there is something that relates to this topic on the wiki, please post the link. I actually think the problem is how I set the prefcolor and startcolor, but I am probably wrong.
Thanks for any help in advance.

Here is the beta link, tell me if you find out what's wrong: http://www.sendspace.com/file/wct4yi

Last edited:
That may be something you want to talk to ChaosZero64 about. What you're making the sprite for is for a different modification, rather than original SRB2.

What IS it set to? It's either that or the starcolor messing with it.

Well, after I couldn't find out what was the issue, I set the prefcolor to 2, and the start color to 18. I honestly don't have a good understanding on how both of them function.

Well, I did what you said and the Ufo remains white. I also deleted S_SKIN and rewrote it and nothing changed.

SLADE can handle BMP files.

I'm aware, it's just that in fact SLADE displays anything already in SRB2 wads as PNGs, complete with not displaying any traces of cyan at all.

In fact, I also recall some case back months ago where somehow cyan was made a visible color in a sprite, not long after the SRB2 Community first found out about SLADE 3.

Well, I did save my sprites as .bmp, but I have multiple options to save it as a .bmp file. (In MS Paint)
-MonoChrome Bitmap
-16 Color Bitmap
-256 Color Bitmap
-24-bit Bitmap

Which one? My guess is 256 Color Bitmap.

Last edited:
Every time I save it as 256 Color Bitmap, a pop up tells me that the sprite is going to lose color, is this okay?

...actually, I'm not sure now.

Seems like typical bmps would actually be 24-bit bitmap, but I know I've gotten 256 color bitmaps through editing bmps with the SRB2 palette auto-given (which were sprites in SRB2 wad files exported using XWE).

I'm not sure what to do in this case though. x_x

Well, I did save my sprites as .bmp, but I have multiple options to save it as a .bmp file. (In MS Paint)
-MonoChrome Bitmap
-16 Color Bitmap
-256 Color Bitmap
-24-bit Bitmap

Which one? My guess is 256 Color Bitmap.
I'd actually recommend 24-bit Bitmap. You won't lose color information this way. Then put the file into SLADE and covert it to the SRB2 palette there. Granted, some image editing software can convert the image to the SRB2 palette in smarter ways than SLADE can, but on the other hand, SLADE's smarter about it than MSPaint is.

I'm aware, it's just that in fact SLADE displays anything already in SRB2 wads as PNGs, complete with not displaying any traces of cyan at all.

In fact, I also recall some case back months ago where somehow cyan was made a visible color in a sprite, not long after the SRB2 Community first found out about SLADE 3.
This is because cyan is not actually transparent; it was adopted by common Doom editing software because the palette option was very, very rarely used in the game, making it a fairly convenient option. I'm not entirely sure what is transparent, but it's stored completely differently in the patch format.

My lord guys.

24-bmps for SRB2, MS Paint doesn't save PNG's the way SLADE likes them.
Katch, you've already fucked your sprite by saving it as jpeg, considering you have no clean back-up of it, so you'll have to redo it before you save it in the correct file type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back