• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Blue Heaven is being updated for 2.0 - details inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks pretty nice Tets. I like how the place looks now, but why didn't you use BMZ textures instead?
I mean, they ARE made for a mountainous feel.

That screenshot looks boring and repetitive. All the walls look alike. Try having at least two wall textures you can mix and match with.

An idea that I've been toying with recently is using the fake floor special to make the mountain setting more believable. What this does is extend the walls of the mountain further downward so they don't simply end where the death pit begins, so it looks like you're actually on top of a mountain but you don't need to fall for ten seconds before you die and respawn.
This sounds like it could cause some pretty incomprehensible deaths for anyone playing with Tails and Knuckles. I'd appreciate if you kept death pits looking like death pits.

Good luck with the whole project, I eagerly await a release.

I think you misunderstand me. They do look like death pits. If you're playing as Knuckles or Tails and think it's a clever idea to jump off the side of a cliff, then you're tempting fate and deserve to lose a life.

srb20001.png
Hmm... I kinda like the new texture set, but then I also don't. The previous BCZ had a more original feel, I think. I still can't wait for this to be finished, though. This is my second favorite level pack, right under Mystic Realm. That’s why I’m attempting to combine them with my Mystical Heavens. That was kind of off topic. Getting back on topic now. Good work, Tets!

I think you misunderstand me. They do look like death pits. If you're playing as Knuckles or Tails and think it's a clever idea to jump off the side of a cliff, then you're tempting fate and deserve to lose a life.
You're Knuckles, you jump off the cliff and you grab onto the wall. You start going down the wall, and halfway in you suddenly die.

If you're really going through with this, you might want to throw in a visual cue, like a different texture for the outermost walls of the level.

Well, what about half-light blocks? Heck, even some cloud-looking things could work if it's a high up place.

I don't honestly see why you would do that, Neo, but I can compromise with a visual cue. I like D00D64's idea, and I think if done properly it would really improve the look of the level.

Half light blocks would totally ruin the point of it looking like a tall mountain... They work for a pit in the literal sense of the word and that's it. It could end up looking cool if you did some fog block work to make the level seem shrouded in clouds, though. But Aero Shrine already kinda has clouds as its own thing...

I can't wait for Arid Ruins. I can't wait for Undecided Water Zone. Heck, I can't wait for the whole thing to be complete. One question though: Is Incredible Crisis Zone actually going to be in BH? Or is that just a hoax?

Last edited:
Half light blocks would totally ruin the point of it looking like a tall mountain... They work for a pit in the literal sense of the word and that's it. It could end up looking cool if you did some fog block work to make the level seem shrouded in clouds, though. But Aero Shrine already kinda has clouds as its own thing...

I just said that :/

Heck, even some cloud-looking things could work if it's a high up place.

Transparent FOFs with fog blocks inside could do the trick.

In fact, Neo, that's exactly what I'm trying to do right now. Half light blocks didn't make much sense after I remembered how they work. The only problem with this idea is that it'll be very noticeable when the "clouds" stop at the thok barrier. That's something I'll probably just need to deal with though.

The only problem with this idea is that it'll be very noticeable when the "clouds" stop at the thok barrier.
You could try to make the clouds fade out as they approach the thok barrier. Lower transparency and all that.

The old snow textures are showing their age... this could be my own prejudice against 1.09.4 textures speaking, but I think you may want to use one of the newer, more contrasting versions of the snow flat. (there's the variant used in IFZ, and a brighter one) At that level of brightness, it looks like its totally white.

Also, I also recommend finding a secondary texture to keep things interesting. Other than that, the level translates surprisingly well to the new textures. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

EDIT: Also, also, redundant statement is redundant, so I edited the post to point it out...

I did record this in XG. And the computer of mine that does have XG? Totally broken motherboard. Crashes immediately after Windows is finished loading, every time. That has my XG-compatible soundcard in it, and I haven't bothered to take it out.

I also don't know where the heck I managed to find the XG MIDI synth driver anyway.

Hmm... I kinda like the new texture set, but then I also don't. The previous BCZ had a more original feel, I think. I still can't wait for this to be finished, though. This is my second favorite level pack, right under Mystic Realm. That’s why I’m attempting to combine them with my Mystical Heavens. That was kind of off topic. Getting back on topic now. Good work, Tets!
I agree. BCZ now looks a little bland.

all I get is "Error 429 in load configuration: ActiveX component can't create the object"!

As ridiculous as it sounds, you need to install IE6. You can do this manually or use the winetricks script. I did the latter.

Keep in mind, if you do get it working, 3D mode is hit or miss. Up until a couple days ago it would not work consistently for me. The framerate was randomly decent or unbearably slow, more often the latter, and it never worked in a window. I was only able to make it work consistently (albeit at a sub-par framerate) by enabling Radeon KMS in the kernel. This is a far cry from a stable setup, KMS is still experimental for Radeon cards, but it does work. I'm keeping regular backups in case everything goes horribly wrong though.

In other news, here's how my experimentation is going with Frigid Peak. I like how it's turning out, but that's just me. Opinions?

srb20002.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back