My Wii sometimes makes a grating whirr when I turn it on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WAD master

It's this loud humming sound that kinda sounds like a... Erm... I don't know, actually. I think it's the disk drive. Well, if I give it a quick whack, the whirring stops, then starts up again. It's kind of scaring me; is my Wii overheating?? This has been going on for a while now, but only happens every other time I turn my Wii on. I usually just reset it, and the whirring doesn't happen the next time I turn it on, but.... It's still scaring me.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

I am sure I have.

It's been going on for a few months now.... Actually, a whole year. Ever since Christmas 2007, it's been doing that when I turn it on. Not always, though.

Should I let the whirring run it's course, or should I just reset it before something bad happens?

Draykon said:
It does that if there's two or more messages in the day's message board. That's probably the cause.

It does? Eh, thanks. Now I can leave my Wii running.

Thank you Draykon.

If it was making a noise back in 2007, you're a fool for not phoning up when you actually could have had it repaired for free.

My friend's Wii used to make really loud whirring sounds when reading discs. It eventually stopped reading several games and he had to send it in for service. Check to see if it is a sound when a disc is in the drive, or if it is just some random sound.

Mine makes this sound too, but it also has the Super-Mario-Galaxy artifacts, so I'm just going to use it until it dies and then replace it. It'd still be cheaper than buying a new console. (unless I want the Xbox Lite)

Can you replicate the sound and hold your computer mic next to the Wii? If we hear the sound, it may help in the diagnosis process.

My wii's pretty much had this problem after a fewm onths of buying it. It'd be constant whirring when running. And like 1-Up's friend, it's having difficulty reading several discs now.

Funny thing is, I know about 3 or 4 other people with the same issues. From the sound of things, Nintendo forgot to mention that the extended use, cigarette and dust smoke issues that may cause problems with the lens when reading dual layer discs doesn't just apply to dual layer discs.

I've got a similar problem. My Wii randomly shuts off sometimes, it whirrs when standing tall-ways, and it murdered my MySims disc. And when it shuts off, the power light actually goes out instead of red and I have to unplug it and plug it back in.

I'd take out the disc and see if it still makes the sound. Would you mind making a youtube video showing it?
Offtopic:
Username Not Found said:
My PS2 always goes HMMMMMMMM and WHRRRRRRR. No matter what, it goes in.
My Dreamcast happens to do both at the same time in that order when it loads an iso.
HMMMMMMWHRRRRRRRRRR

Mine made whirring noises, refused to read disks, and when I tried to restart it it would just shut down oddly, I uninstalled homebrew and it fixed it. The Wii has major odd problems x.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back