How do I create art that looks the same as SRB2 2.2 art?

They use drawing programs and port those drawings to slade3. I don't know what program they use (maybe PS or something), only if they see this post :/

I mean, usually people use programs like MS Paint, Paint.NET, Gimp, or other types of programs to create their characters. If you wanna make art that has a similar art style to SRB2’s then it really just takes practice to perfect the style. The ones you’ve listed (and many others on the MB!) are really talented and their skills allow them to perceive their characters in a art style based off SRB2.

I mean, usually people use programs like MS Paint, Paint.NET, Gimp, or other types of programs to create their characters. If you wanna make art that has a similar art style to SRB2’s then it really just takes practice to perfect the style. The ones you’ve listed (and many others on the MB!) are really talented and their skills allow them to perceive their characters in a art style based off SRB2.
Oh ok. I usually use MS Paint and Paint.NET. lol

Because some of the people who work in the game, assist them. Sometimes people just know digital art and understand how to emulate a style.

If you're asking how to emulate an art style, the answer can get a little technical. In simple terms, you need to examine how a particular artistic technique comes together and then figure out how to replicate that for yourself.

Would I be right in assuming you're talking about the in-game character sprites specifically? That uses a technique called pixel art, which essentially involves drawing at a low resolution with a sharp, non-antialiased brush. Tools like MS Paint and Paint.NET work great for this actually, others like GraphicsGale are made specifically for pixel art, though I personally developed my technique in Photoshop.

Pixel art can seem daunting due to its limitations, but i find it helps to sketch out what you're looking for using your usual techniques, and then reference that when creating pixel art. I usually take a large sketch, scale it down and trace the pose from that.

In fact, I just happen to have some backups of one particular piece of mine so you can see, vaguely, a character sprite in various stages. Don't let the gif fool you though, it's a process like any art is.

7pgWRUM.gif

Oh, and here's that sketch at full resolution so you can see what I started with. And here's the finished pixel sprite, alongside another I did with different limitations.
5paLi3T.png
Other than that, the character sprites in SRB2 use a lot of the same artistic techniques as the character portraits, title screen and other artwork, and assuming that you drew your own profile pic, it seems to me like you already have a pretty good handle on SRB2's art style. The thick black outlines, the sharp lighting and shading, the bright colours. It's the same for the character sprites, just at a smaller scale.

Last edited:
A bit off-topic, but I gotta know. Is that girl just some OC or does she come from a game or something? I like her design!

A bit off-topic, but I gotta know. Is that girl just some OC or does she come from a game or something? I like her design!

Yeah, she's an OC! Though not this particular sprite, the character is from a game my partner and I were making! Her name is Mira and she's a magical robot girl who gains new abilities by wearing different outfits, sort of like a crossover between Mega Man and Cardcaptor Sakura.

In the interest in staying on topic, do feel free to message me if you wanna chat about it.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back