Resource icon

Classic.wad: Classic Physics and Animations Recreated in SRB2! 2.2.3

Alright it has now been about another month and I have a new version!

-Moved the skin blacklist up to be above the stat settings, this way anybody who's not supposed to have momentum/changed stats doesn't.

-Removed JUNIO Sonic support.... I didn't realise the internal skin name had changed as well.

-Fixed the hold spin when landing fix to not interfere with Knuckles' landing animation after gliding

-Reverted spindash behavior to vanilla for Feels

-Modified Boostmode to use vanilla Dashmode as a base, drastically improving performance on levels with high object density. This also means that Dashmode works with all characters (existing and new ones) that use the vanilla Dashmode ability as a base. Metal Knuckles fans rejoice!

-Added AltSonic to the blacklist, there's just too much going on there that I don't wanna deal with

-Knerfed Knuckles, Kno more Knonsense with momentum retaining sheKnanigans using his glide, but his glide still accelerates faster than before.

-Knuckles also no longer swims, thank you to Lach for help with this.

-Boosted cross compatibility with Cross Momentum, if you like the spindash from Classic.wad but enjoy the mechanics of XMomentum, try loading them both at once!

-Since Sonic isn't going to have an ability for a while, I've decided to limit shield abilities to only work with him.

-Changed Attraction Shield to work more like a traditional homing attack in that you can now chain together attacks

-Removed the modularity checks for skins like player.isclassic and whatnot, as they weren't really functional anyway. I plan to reimplement these in a better way soon.

I promise I will be adding the ability to disable and enable animations on your own but please hold out for a little while longer!

I feel like this mod is getting a bit too big, especially considering how many characters are now blacklisted. Maybe it should be split into a bunch of smaller mods which are packaged in a zip. This way, the momentum modifications could be applied standalone in order to get Junio working decently (It seems that the only problem was the conflict between the peelout and the custom spindash); if you already have a physics modifier, you could just change the spindash; you could keep the thok in a no-save just for kicks; you could have the new spindash but with the old spintrail; finally, you could revert any feature you don't like on your own. I feel like if a mod is getting big enough that more than five characters simply are not compatible, some modularity should be introduced in order to disable the cause of the problem.

Hey, I played Sonic Advance and I really like the Hammer Jump in that game, so could you perhaps modify the Hammer Jump to be like Advance's hammer jump (since Advance is a classic game more than Adventure) and have it be activated by pressing jump after pressing spin, and it would cap your max speed to a small speed for as long as you are in the air while doing the move, but goes like 1.8x Amy's normal jump height.
Just an idea since the current hammer jump is kinda broken imo while it is fun, I think taking Sonic Advance's hammer jump would be better for classic.wad. For the speed i'm thinking like 1/2 max run speed.

I may also add that Sonic Adventure is my favorite Sonic game tied with Unleashed.

May I add that this works well with the cobalt drop dash and double jump script, and that I think slopes accelerate the player a bit inaccurately quickly. I understand that it probably is hard to find a balance between slopes being too strong and them being too weak, and that you may think this is a good balance. Just my two cents.
This "inaccurately" is just under the assumption this is trying to be as close to the classics as possible, i assume this due to sonic being in his walking animation when falling. (rip fall sprites)

Last edited:
This "inaccurately" is just under the assumption this is trying to be as close to the classics as possible

Prior to 2.2, I did try and translate the physics and slope acceleration as accurately as possible (using the Sonic Physics Guide on SonicRetro) but due to acceleration being heavily tied to how well your character can climb a slope, and the fact that there are now a buttload of slopes in the game, I decided to amp both the character acceleration and slope acceleration up to match with vanilla's current stats. If you want an idea of how it was previously: From anything less than a run, you could probably not climb anything steeper than the slope at the start of GFZ2. I could probably fix that with a lot of effort and conditionals but it's easier to just rely on the normal physics built into the game.

What does the hammer jump have to do with classic? Is it due to it being her main ability in Sonic Advance (which imo plays similarly enough to the classics that i'd consider it a classic game)

What does the hammer jump have to do with classic? Is it due to it being her main ability in Sonic Advance (which imo plays similarly enough to the classics that i'd consider it a classic game)
Partly that. The main inspiration came from having to fix the spindash when 2.2 first released which was also right about the time that I unlocked Amy, and found that mindash and maxdash are both tied to her hammer height and speed, it reminded me of other acrobatic abilities that she's had in the series as well as making her feel a bit more fleshed out than vanilla Amy, so I decided to add it.

Partly that. The main inspiration came from having to fix the spindash when 2.2 first released which was also right about the time that I unlocked Amy, and found that mindash and maxdash are both tied to her hammer height and speed, it reminded me of other acrobatic abilities that she's had in the series as well as making her feel a bit more fleshed out than vanilla Amy, so I decided to add it.
Thats very interesting, I didnt know mindash and maxdash were related to her hammer ability.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back