• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Lilly Icelet in SRB2

Smoke-le-Bloke

The Unseen Fool
So... I got a question for ya.

You like cute animals?

Ya do? Cool.
(you might just be here due to curiosity, but let's say you do.)

Here's a wolf pup for you:

88a4f785-a1e7-11e9-a523-077549d5bf4e.gif

This girl here is Lilly. She's six, shy, but has a few tricks up her sleeves.

As of right now, the current progress is 10%

Attachments

• srb20045.gif
    srb20045.gif
    5.8 MB · Views: 527
  • srb20046.gif
    srb20046.gif
    2.7 MB · Views: 405
  • srb20050.gif
    srb20050.gif
    186 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
I'm curious, what are her powers? What's her gimmick?

Inazuma has electrokinesis, Dirk has cryokinesis, etc.
I'd love to see her have a cool gimmick that puts her in with the group of characters that truly seems like official SRB2 characters.

Why do characters /need/ powers? I mean, the only characters with elemental powers (in canon) Are Blaze and Marine, both from her world.

In any case, don't feel forced into doing something you don't feel is right for your character.

I'm curious, what are her powers? What's her gimmick?

Inazuma has electrokinesis, Dirk has cryokinesis, etc.
I'd love to see her have a cool gimmick that puts her in with the group of characters that truly seems like official SRB2 characters.

...i'm not a lua scripter.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Why do characters /need/ powers? I mean, the only characters with elemental powers (in canon) Are Blaze and Marine, both from her world.

In any case, don't feel forced into doing something you don't feel is right for your character.
i don't even lua script and don't know who would for me, lol

This is looking promising! The walk animation is especially nice.

Although there's banding and pillow-shading at the top of the head and the shoes look pretty basic compared to the rest of the sprite.

From what I can tell from the gameplay gifs, it looks like the hands are also pillow-shaded, but it can be hard to tell with the small resolution.

Those are the only two noticeable issues I can find, everything else looks good!

This is looking promising! The walk animation is especially nice.

Although there's banding and pillow-shading at the top of the head and the shoes look pretty basic compared to the rest of the sprite.

From what I can tell from the gameplay gifs, it looks like the hands are also pillow-shaded, but it can be hard to tell with the small resolution.

Those are the only two noticeable issues I can find, everything else looks good!

It's simply a part of my unique style... with a bit of borrowing from Chrispy with the hands... notice they're just spheres?

(excuse the large post :>)

It's simply a part of my unique style... with a bit of borrowing from Chrispy with the hands... notice they're just spheres?

Okay, let me educate you a little bit about banding :^)

Banding is bad.

It can be considered a cardinal sin with some pixel artists, and is typically frowned upon by any sprite/pixel artist.

Up close, it gives the picture an unnatural, blocky look.
Afar, it makes the picture more grainy, blurry, and less fine.

Here are some pictures to help illustrate what I mean
W2ULcuu.png
x1SVec4.png
banding.png
SAYNOTOBANDING.gif

...And on a side note:
furc_port_tips__pillow_shading_by_nekkers-d4fd1aw.png

Okay, let me educate you a little bit about banding :^)

Banding is bad.

It can be considered a cardinal sin with some pixel artists, and is typically frowned upon by any sprite/pixel artist.

Up close, it gives the picture an unnatural, blocky look.
Afar, it makes the picture more grainy, blurry, and less fine.

Here are some pictures to help illustrate what I mean
W2ULcuu.png
x1SVec4.png
banding.png
SAYNOTOBANDING.gif

...And on a side note:
furc_port_tips__pillow_shading_by_nekkers-d4fd1aw.png

Is this banding?
D_DwfvJX4AIHPTw.png
[Look at the hands]

Yes and No

Outlines are TECHNICALLY banding, but are usually acceptable bc. they make sprites more readable and visible (and you can make em look good if you're skilled enough)

Especially when juxtaposed against a variety of backgrounds

All the other types of banding I showed tho, ARE unacceptable and should be avoided.

Yes and No

Outlines are TECHNICALLY banding, but are usually acceptable bc. they make sprites more readable and visible (and you can make em look good if you're skilled enough)

Especially when juxtaposed against a variety of backgrounds

All the other types of banding I showed tho, ARE unacceptable and should be avoided.

Don't expect me to be a TOTAL MASTER AT SPRITES OF ALL KINDS BECAUSE OP
or anything. cuz I'm just a guy on this message board doing wad things and replying to posts

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I'm not a perfect op godlike spriter either (ill happily admit that some of my pieces have sucked before :v) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But I know you can do better, I already see a lot of positives about Lilly, all you really need to do is to iron out those problems, and then, your sprite can become something really magnificent~

I already gave you some reference when it comes to stuff that should be avoided, and it really isn't that hard to remove some errors once you understand it :>

Please continue with your art, I know you can do it!

Hey I'm not a perfect op godlike spriter either (ill happily admit that some of my pieces have sucked before :v) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But I know you can do better, I already see a lot of positives about Lilly, all you really need to do is to iron out those problems, and then, your sprite can become something really magnificent~

I already gave you some reference when it comes to stuff that should be avoided, and it really isn't that hard to remove some errors once you understand it :>

Please continue with your art, I know you can do it!

Thanks for the support.

Don't expect me to be a TOTAL MASTER AT SPRITES OF ALL KINDS BECAUSE OP
or anything. cuz I'm just a guy on this message board doing wad things and replying to posts

Criticism and commentary is something that we allow and encourage around here. Your attitude here is unacceptable. If you don't like that, you're free to leave, but bitching at other people because they're doing what is totally fine is unacceptable.

Criticism and commentary is something that we allow and encourage around here. Your attitude here is unacceptable. If you don't like that, you're free to leave, but [insert b-word here] at other people because they're doing what is totally fine is unacceptable.

I was just attempting to state a point.
Not trying to be a jerk or anything. Maybe it was the way I said it?

Wrong. The point you are attempting to make is counter to the environment we foster here. When you post your work here, that work is subject to peer review. That means that we actively encourage people to review and comment on your work, tell you what they think is wrong with it, what needs improvement, and even to start from scratch if necessary. If you can't handle the criticism, don't post your work in the first place. Telling other people to not criticize your work is unacceptable.

Last edited:
Wrong. The point you are attempting to make is counter to the environment we foster here. When you post your work here, that work is subject to peer review. That means that we actively encourage people to review and comment on your work, tell you what they think is wrong with it, what needs improvement, and even to start from scratch if necessary. If you can't handle the criticism, don't post your work in the first place. Telling other people to not criticize your work is unacceptable.
I don't think that's in his nature, if I may.
Red has been known to use the wrong set of words or say things in the wrong way, but he's not a person who's rude to anybody like that or is against criticism, at least not on purpose.

I know you're a person who enforces the rules and I respect that, someone's gotta do it or this forum would've never gotten this far, I'm just saying that there was a bit of a misunderstanding, knowing Red.

I apologise if I myself shouldn't have barged in here, but I've seen the talent
Red can do and the last thing I'd want is him to be suspended or worse.
I wouldn't do this to any other person, but I see something special in Red, and I don't want him to have his SRB2 career end before it has begun.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back