Knuckles Discussion

Playing as Knuckles is really fun but I have had some screw ups mainly with gilding and how I forget get that he cannot multi-glide unlike UglyKnux. I think that should have been reserved. I should also mention that when I come down from a glide but don't let go, the crouch stills happens for some reason.

One Big Shame on him is that he doesn't have an accessable superform like Sonic or Metal since well, Super Knuckles exists and we can't do that unless we have super.lua.

This version of the game is also based on the OVA due to the trailer and quit game art so why does'nt Knuckles have his hat? Maybe that be unlockable at some point?

He can't even dig either so I think that would make levels fun but it should be timed when to leave the undergound.

I think I should just mention I enjoy everything about Knuckles, but I must say that the reason I dislike using the glide as Knuckles because of the landing lag. To me it says "hey, don't use this ability. It kills all of your speed"

It's unfun. I don't like having my momentum cut just because I wanted to use a player ability. If the crouch after landing is supposed to be a balance thing because you would "go too fast and maintain glide speed" maybe.. idk, add a speed cap to the glide? Or more specifically, make a speed cap that you slowly fall down too if you go over. Like say if the cap was 60 but you managed to kick up a 90 speed, just make it so you slowly go down from 90 to 60.

Reasonable speed caps just needs to be a thing in general. Looking at you, comically low ground movement speed cap.

I actually really prefer him controlling like this. The S3&K reactions for hits and landing states really adds a lot to how you plan out playing as knuckles (especially when you can use momentum to fling yourself somewhere with a reliable instant stop) He feels heavy like he should and just more tactile in his play. I don't think every character should have constant momentum and I like how Knuckles, Amy, and Fang feel very different from Sonic, Tails, and Metal. You can still get comparable times in a lot of stages with all 6 characters so the balance actually feels alright! (Before knuckles' only balance was being slower than sonic, elsewise he would always have won, but now he feels a lot more well rounded and interesting to play as.) Negative states end up effecting the feel of gameplay towards a strategic flow and path that you don't have as much with sonic or tails.

The delayed turning makes him feel much more awkward. I'd take it over accuracy to the classic games any day

The delayed turning makes him feel much more awkward. I'd take it over accuracy to the classic games any day

I like the current turning because it makes you feel like you’re catching the air. The effect of having some resistance adds alot for me. I dont really like characters to feel too perfect. Overcoming imperfections and working those into routes adds a dynamic element to routes.

From a general control and gameplay perspective, how does it "feel" to play as Knuckles?
  1. How well do you think the game and levels are designed to accommodate for Knuckles?

Knuckles feels pretty good but the one thing I can't get used to is how the camera snaps to face the direction Knuckles is facing when jumping from a wall. I suppose I'm too used to the Adventure/Adventure 2 and (iirc?) the previous versions' wall jumping, but it can be pretty disorienting.

Usually I point the camera where I want to aim my glide at before jumping from the wall. I understand (and *mostly* agree with) the decision to make Sonic's thok always move in the direction that the camera is pointing, so I'm wondering why the same rule doesn't apply here, given when you jump from a wall the camera faces a direction you can't even look at. Not to mention since the camera is solid, the moment you jump from the wall, Knuckles isn't even visible until he moves far away enough from the camera and wall.

Last edited:
Knuckles feels pretty good but the one thing I can't get used to is how the camera snaps to face the direction Knuckles is facing when jumping from a wall. [...]
Try to press the Spin key instead of the Jump key; The latter makes you face away from the wall, the former doesn't change your camera facing at all. (The character selection screen for single-player game modes mentions this in Knuckles' "Tip" section.)

[...] I understand (and *mostly* agree with) the decision to make Sonic's thok always move in the direction that the camera is pointing, so I'm wondering why the same rule doesn't apply here, given when you jump from a wall the camera faces a direction you can't even look at. [...]
The same rule probably doesn't apply here specifically because that you can't look behind you while on a wall. (Also for convenience's sake, too.)

Try to press the Spin key instead of the Jump key; The latter makes you face away from the wall, the former doesn't change your camera facing at all. (The character selection screen for single-player game modes mentions this in Knuckles' "Tip" section.)

Well that just shows I need to read more. This is perfect. Having both options is excellent.

In that case, I'd say Knuckles feels about perfect.

I love Knuckles' new glide, however the landing animation makes him considerably slower to play and basically eliminates using the glide in tandem with regular movement (basically making it so that you have two options which can't be mixed: Walking/jumping OR gliding)

Honestly I kinda wish you could cancel out of the crouch animation just by moving (and honestly, a lot of people I've talked to seems to agree with this), but otherwise Knuckles feels great to play. I love the new gliding momentum and normalising everyone's stats to Sonic's just makes the game feel a lot more fun to play in general. I also really like the addition of being able to jump off a wall without moving the camera too - sometimes you just want to move to a different, adjacent wall. This makes that easier.

I feel like Knuckles is finally a character worth playing. Aside from my early infancy in SRB2 playing as tails, I always always preferred Sonic. The other characters just felt like I was cheating myself out of the experience because their abilities made it so easy to get around.

The addition of so many Knuckles-specific secrets and pathways, and the improvements in the controls, made me change my mind. I've been replaying the campaign with him and I've been enjoying it more than I thought I would. There's a lot of subtle improvements that give you a sense that this is one heavy dude, and that's awesome.

Literally the only thing I wish is that his climb would get faster with speed shoes. That's it. Otherwise I think you guys nailed him.

I love the new changes to Knuckles control! Momentum gliding was a dream come true. However, from my experience the only levels that makes use of what makes Knuckles a really fun character to play is Arid Canyon Zone 1 and Aerial Garden Zone... I mean damn, glide bouncing off of a stray bee or an item capsule and shooting yourself up to the gigantic ceiling is satisfying as hell, it feels as if the level was made for his new mechanics... Which I know it's not because AGZ predates new knuckles mechanics by thirteen years. Other knuckles paths bar for the new Techno Hill 2 path feel rather boring to play and somewhat pointless. The bosses don't seem to accommodate his mechanics whatsoever. Cough Cough Castle Eggman 3 Cough Cough

Momentum is a really big issue. Stopping when gliding is very useful when landing on small platforms or going into a spindash, but I think it would be real nice to hold spin to end glide into a roll. It would make overall gameplay much smoother (and would be a speedrunners dream). Please take this into consideration. I would love if it made it into the main game.

He's hilariously broken in custom levels which are commonly designed just around Sonic (load Knux in Romio's Apalogue pack, it's hilariously broken)… But that's not what you want to hear. Maybe it's because I've played it too much, but I don't really feel a reason to play through it as knuckles more than other characters. Right now the only characters I really play when I want to sit down and have a good time are Sonic and Tails just because of the amount of movement options I get, and Fang because how unique of a gameplay style he has.

Edit: Well, that was embarrassing! I deleted this message because I thought it moved to a different reply thread, but what actually happened is it moved to a second page. Now I just look like a dumbass to the moderators who saw me delete a message and immediately post an identical one to the same place.

Last edited:
I really like Knuckle's movement in the game. One thing that i think is cool is, due to him actually having a turning arc that is a bit more wide than some might expect, his ability to shift to the left or shift to the right while gliding in a specific direction makes precision with his glide much better! (plus if you shift in the direction that you're turning, you make him have tighter turns)

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back