Tips for multiplayer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet Explorer

IT'S NO USE
Hello to everyone.
I need tips for multiplayer. Other players may be able to benefit .
So I wonder: how do they have 3000 points after a game of CTF of 5 points ...
All people hurt me with Explosive, but when it's me I don't touch my ennemies.
When a guy jump over me and send me a Rail Ring just below ...

Brief. I can only use the grenade (very easy to use) and maybe normals rings..., but for all other weapons that are "direct", I can't use them.

Something else important. The controller is divided into 3 parts:

- Mouse
- The arrow keys
- The left keyboard keys (S, A, etc.).

Where are your left hand and right?
For my part, left hand ==> left touch (S,A...)
Right Hand ==> arrow keys

I'm asking:

- If there are some techniques to use with some items, can your say them ? (especially for the explosive)
- Which keys do you use to play ?

Thanks for your help. I have already consulted wikipedia, I know what is the multiplayer.

Use mouselook if you aren't already. It helps A LOT.

As for the 3000 point thing, those players are most likely focusing on shooting people rather than getting the flag.

I use left shift/left mouse click to shoot, space to jump, 'c' to spindash, and 12345 to switch weapons.

Well, first of all, I highly recommend playing with a mouse + keyboard. I started off playing with keyboard only, and I just flat out sucked. I decided to start using the mouse, and it took a while for me to get used to it, but once you master using the mouse to aim it makes you 1000 times better. Especially when you use the rail ring.

Here are the keys I use to play:

WASD to move
Mouse to aim
Space to jump
Tab to look at scores
Click to shoot
Right-click to spindash
Mousewheel to switch weapons
"F" to throw flag

For info on the weapons check out this article if you haven't already. It contains lots of useful info and advice on weapons. Again, I HIGHLY recommend using the mouse and getting used to it. Just use the advice the article gives you, keep using the weapons, and master them!

It could also help knowing where every weapon card is located on each map, so try playing alone by yourself and look around the maps. That should help you so you can find certain weapons quicker. (Keep in mind that the weapon card locations in CTF are very similar in both of the teams areas, each side is nearly identical to each other. There ARE a few exceptions though. For example, Silver Cascade Zone has bounce rings located only at one side in the center of the map.)

Also, you should know the strong random monitor locations in every map, as that could be useful as well in case you're collecting emmys or you just want a shield in general.

Last edited:
Well, I was basically gonna say that, but I got beaten to the punch because the database error didn't allowed me to post.

Also, as an additional tip, avoid servers with more than 200 ping, while looking for servers that have less than 100 ping. Believe me, your skills are amount to nothing if you are playing in a server with more than 300 ping.

I use left shift for spin, wasd for movement, space for jump, and f for flag toss. Left mouse button is fire, right mouse button is fire normal, middle mouse button is centerview.

...and of course, I'm using mouselook.

I use the following:
WASD to move
Mouse (Left-click to shoot, Right-click to jump)
Space for Spindash
And the normal commands.

And in Capture the Flag, it's best to try and avoid any fray that's going on that isn't for the flag. You'll be a greater help if you can grab the flag before the other team has a chance to score.

Sonic is best for retrieving the enemy flag.

Knuckles is good for guarding the Team's flag.

And Tails is good for sharpshooting or sneaky flag captures.

Get a USB gamepad for race, and coop.
This is not a good idea either. For serious play you require a mouse, and this includes race, as a mouse lets you turn entirely around on a dime, which is essential for getting extremely fast times.

This is not a good idea either. For serious play you require a mouse, and this includes race, as a mouse lets you turn entirely around on a dime, which is essential for getting extremely fast times.
Gamepads make strafing a piece of cake. Strafing and turning at the same time out-do mouse-look turning.

You DO realize that when you use mouselook, you set strafe keys to the keyboard so you can strafe and turn at the same time. It's generally called "WASD and the mouse" because the normal way to do this involves using W and S to move forward and back, and A and D to strafe left and right.

The ONLY difference between using the mouse and not using the mouse is that with the mouse you can turn faster. It is a strictly better control scheme, and using it will make you a better player.

It's harder if you have a laptop and you have to deal with your mouse pad. Unless you have a Mouse for your laptop. I know I've had to adapt since I have a laptop and no mouse. So my controls are a bit different. I somehow still manage to play well. I wish there were controls that appeal to laptop users. I've tried the default controls but they don't help to much.

If you have a laptop get a USB Mouse.

WASD for strafing is essential, and memorize where weapon rings spawn. If you can get a feel for your best weapon ring, find it and use it a lot.

I generally just use my single-player controls. A/S/D is toss flag/spin/jump, arrow keys for movement, Z and C for strafe, and X for camera reset. Left control for fire ring, left shift for fire normal, Q and E for weapon switching. Of course, I'm notedly awful at Match. Nobody uses the arrow keys seriously unless they're weird like Spazzo.

As for techniques, use monitor bouncing and shoot the opponent from above. A lot of players only think on the horizontal plane.

Last edited:
The only annoying thing about m-look is that because Software mode is funky, when you look up or down the textures get all skewed and stuff.

Wow, thank you infinitely for everyone, you're all a great help. There are a lot of answers !
I can not comment on each individually, I'll speak in general.

- I had not seen this link wiki "Strategy Guide". It looks very useful method of use of arms. I'll take a look.
- I will not take "USB keyboard" or whatever it .. it'll be too new, and then I'm too lazy to find it ... it looks to me as a bit too complicated game mode, sorry.
- Ping server: I take what is available. If there is one bug that really too much, I leave it.
- It seems that WASD (I have a French keyboard, my keys are WASD, but they are at the same location.) Is the best combination to move. I'm going to train with. Maybe because the left and right arrows do not move S / T / K.
- Change the items: I will keep the 1234567.

About the launch attacks:

Aim : OK, even me, I used it, it is unquestionably the best way: the mouse. I still find it difficult to aim with rail against people who steal or those who are at 3-4 feet away from me. I'm going to train, it will pass.
Shoot: Left click the mouse ... hmm, yes.
Jump, very important : I lean toward the space bar. I will also try right-clicking the mouse, but I do not think it will be interesting. As said Prime 2, I'd rather use it to make normally. I'll have a normal shot, defensive, the ring normal and left-click a shot harder to control.

Control items ==> I'll see on the wiki.

Thank you very much guys, I feel I am much better myself !

Last question,sorry : is the mouse or WASD which should allow me to change direction?
I have a reflex that makes me use only the W to the left hand to advance, and it makes me change direction by moving the mouse ...

W is forward, S is back, A is strafe left, and D is strafe right. You turn left/right and look up/down with the mouse. Strafing is absolutely essential to being any good, as the ability to shoot in one direction while moving in another is insanely important.

Last edited:
Actually, considering his/her keyboard is french (or in other words, a AZERTY keyboard), to move forward would be "Z", to move backwards "S", to strafe left "Q" and to strafe right "D".

As for myself, I actually use "S", "W", "X" and "C" (AZERTY keyboard) as the directional buttons because it's closer to the spacebar than "Z", "Q", "S" and "D"(and because I don't have to stretch my arms as much), but that's your choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back