Suggestions

Minecarts are way too easy right now IMO. Switching is automatic (you can't over/undershoot it) and the speed they move is sloooooow. They should be affected by slopes like characters already are, and perhaps they should get a little bit more elaborate, with more alternate pathways and speed boosters. The minecart sections of ACZ2 are weirdly linear given how sprawling the rest of the act is.

The Minecart sections in ACZ2 ate all of my lives first time I went through it, don't think it needs to be more complicated tbh.

I would be all for an unlockable bonus level dedicated to more difficult minecart puzzles. Would be a really fun and neat thing for the extra levels level select screen.

Due to the new Luahooks() function only being able to be called once per game session, I would like to suggest that those who use Luahooks identify themselves by being VLH_ (or at least have the H added) to show that they use Luahooks.

(Good thing I changed the prefix to E for EHA maps...)

Do you mean reserveLuaBanks? Because that requires the creation of a custom savedata to use, and you can't stack custom savedatas already, so...

CA_BOUNCE doesn't use actionspd for anything. Why not use it as a toggle for whether the character should have their momentum halted upon activating it or not? Or maybe use actionspd to modify how much it should be changed.

(tried to have multiability bounce but tapping the button repeateadly makes it double as a pseudo slow fall due to it zeroing z speed so that's a no go)

I would be all for an unlockable bonus level dedicated to more difficult minecart puzzles. Would be a really fun and neat thing for the extra levels level select screen.

One idea for way later in development--i.e when all the main content is complete and they're just polishing the game--I had was a separate "challenge" mode of, say, 20-40 super hard microlevels, each focused on taking a particular gimmick (minecarts, gravity switchers, etc.) to its absolute limit in a way the main stages can't due to their scope and variety. Probably unlocked after beating the main campaign at least once.

I'd like to request lua resources for creating and managing bots. Specifically: I need a way to enable/disable traits like the SP bot respawning, taking damage behavior, etc. I also wish for access to a function that allows for the creation and removal of bot players within the game.

I think a very basic drop shadow underneath the player character's sprite would be of benefit. Nothing fancy or rendered with opengl or anything, just something like this old add-on from TehRealSalt, which simply renders a static circle underneath the player at all times.

I feel like this would better ease in new players to SRB2's control scheme, as most 3D platformers have a basic drop shadow which serves to let the player know where they'll land when they hit the ground. Implementing a simple drop shadow like this would give players a more visual way to gauge and get used to how characters move and interact with each other, and the speed and the way 3D space is presented in the game.

(If this has been suggested as a feature already I apologize, but I did search around the forums first before signing up to post this)

Second Color in Vanilla SRB2. That would be cool since Fang now is playable and has cowboy stuff on him. That would be cool since that it'll give more customization to others in multiplayer.

Last edited:
Increase the speed cap for ground speed movement. Right now it's ridiculous that you cannot gain any speed as Amy or Fang when hitting a side-ways spring just because the cap is so ridiculously tiny. I shouldn't have to constantly do frame perfect jump button inputs to maintain my speed on those things.

Increase the speed cap for ground speed movement. Right now it's ridiculous that you cannot gain any speed as Amy or Fang when hitting a side-ways spring just because the cap is so ridiculously tiny. I shouldn't have to constantly do frame perfect jump button inputs to maintain my speed on those things.

Following this up to say that momentum should also be gained when running down slopes. Characters that can't spin are unsatisfying to play because they have no beneficial interactions with slopes, all they do is slow them down when they have to go up them. Running down slopes feels both unnatural and extremely unsatisfying:
srb20137.gif

Furhtermore, I feel like any momentum earned from sideways springs (or ANY OTHER SOURCE, for that matter) should also be kept on the ground, in the above gif, I used Amy's hammer on the springs, and the tiny bit of speed I originally gained from it was instantly deleted by the ground friction which will INSTANTLY DELETE any speed above your normalspeed when running. It makes the physics feel extremely stiff, whereas if momentum could be kept and gained down slopes, Amy in particular would be way more fun to play as, seeing as her ability hardly has any use at all when interacting with springs:

srb20138.gif

As for Sonic, he could finally be moving fast through the usage of a single thok without needing to be constantly mashing the jump key like a braindead idiot:
srb20141.gif

tldr: the only limit normalspeed should have is how much you can accelerate, not how fast you can actually move

To single out one point without commenting on the rest:

As for Sonic, he could finally be moving fast through the usage of a single thok without needing to be constantly mashing the jump key like a braindead idiot:
srb20141.gif

This in particular makes Sonic even more overpowered in any multiplayer game mode, AND makes speed shoes practically worthless. The one thing that attempts to balance thok in that case is that you can only keep that speed in the air, where you have less control.

My personal opinion on how to solve this is that characters moving above their normalspeed (scaled up for things like speed shoes, to keep those worthwhile) would have less horizontal control than normal. Braking should still be as responsive as always so that they can save themselves, but by gradually reducing the player's ability to turn as they go above their normalspeed, it would add a natural-feeling challenge to maintaining high speed.

I don't mind either way, though. I like the nospin characters being deliberately slower-paced and harder to go fast with than the others, since it gives them a nice contrast.

Well I suppose I should've elaborated more on the thok, simply put, it should just be weaker to go along with this (45~52 fracs?), this enables Sonic to run faster than average if doing so is a good idea. In turn, I do think thok should allow you to redirect all of the momentum you have above its default speed, that way, it will give Sonic an incentive to want to charge a full 70 fracs spindash so that his thok can keep the 70 fracs thrust for as long as Sonic is able to keep his speed up as the thok right now makes the spindash an utterly useless redundant, slower alternative in 99% of the scenarios. The extra 10 fracs aren't worth losing 2 full seconds in charging time.

Here's a quick mock up of what that could be like, allowing Sonic to redirect all of his momentum quickly.
srb20147.gif

The catch is that any character with the spindash could also just run at those speeds (Tails is clearly keeping up with me there!), they just wouldn't have the thok to be able to easily keep that momentum while making ridiculous turns.

Personal feeling of mine, but I've also lost any care for multiplayer balance in favor of how a character feels to use. The multiplayer gamemodes are fundamentally flawed to begin with IMO and that's the root of the problem, so while I certainly don't claim to know how to even remotely fix these, I wouldn't butcher characters to try and give them some kind of weird even playing field in those side gamemodes.

To single out one point without commenting on the rest:

This in particular makes Sonic even more overpowered in any multiplayer game mode, AND makes speed shoes practically worthless. The one thing that attempts to balance thok in that case is that you can only keep that speed in the air, where you have less control.

My personal opinion on how to solve this is that characters moving above their normalspeed (scaled up for things like speed shoes, to keep those worthwhile) would have less horizontal control than normal. Braking should still be as responsive as always so that they can save themselves, but by gradually reducing the player's ability to turn as they go above their normalspeed, it would add a natural-feeling challenge to maintaining high speed.

I don't mind either way, though. I like the nospin characters being deliberately slower-paced and harder to go fast with than the others, since it gives them a nice contrast.

I thought you guys didn't care about MP being unbalanced since it's not the main mode and half of you wanted to just get rid of it anyway.

"You guys"? I'm not on the team any more. I just care because I like the game being engaging to play. It's why I've gravitated away from playing as Sonic lately; thokking around isn't a particularly fun mechanic for me any more.

Perhaps something that might be worth playtesting is this idea: Make it so if you use a thok without having much prior momentum, it's actually quite slow (though still fast enough to be worth it for the instant speed over just holding forward). However, if your horizontal momentum has you moving faster than that speed, it redirects your momentum into the direction you are pointing when you use it without losing (or gaining) any speed.

This way, you are rewarded for skillful, fast paced gameplay, but aren't handed out those speeds for nothing. As with the classic games on Genesis/Mega Drive, speed is earned.

This would work really well with physics allowing you to gain speed down slopes while running, especially if you could use it to redirect your momentum after jumping off the edge of a ramp. The main downside is that the speed of the thok would no longer be consistent, and this might mess with muscle memory hardcore.

Really, we could solve a lot of balance issues on the thok by just giving Sonic a double jump instead.

Really, we could solve a lot of balance issues on the thok by just giving Sonic a double jump instead.

I'm not really a fan of it. The problem would go from the thok being too fast to Sonic gaining too much vertical height. If entirely changing Sonic's ability was going to be a thing, I would rather have a drop dash that bases it's speed on your momentum when using it.

Preferably though, Sonic should keep the thok. It's too iconic to SRB2 at this point to entirely replace with something else.

What if.... and I know I'm gonna sound crazy here, but what if we made it so that all characters, except maybe Fang because his run animation doesn't look like he could keep up and he's the most... "different" character in the cast, had momentum and slope acceleration? And instead of Sonic having a thok, he had, like.... no ability whatsoever, or a drop dash or an instashield?

What do you guys think?

EDIT: On second thought, nah. It'd never work....

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 7, Members: 0, Guests: 7)

Back