Suggestions

Yeah it would be if it was made by your average member, which people would rarely look into, but it wouldn't. Remember it would included in the srb2 installation, and it would be perfect to include it on one of the game's updates, that way players would have to go and install the new version. So now that that's done, all players have the program.

Also there should be info about having it there in one of the intros and it also should come with a guest log in.​
I don't think you understand the inherent problem here. The devs probably aren't going to spend time making a program that already exists. Look how often they release already when their only focus is SRB2! If they stopped to devote time to some silly little program, that's time spent away from making the core game.

You must understand that people probably rarely ever uses any of those other chat site/programs because people are not aware of its existence and.
It's not hard to say "hey guys there's this program called skype/mumble and we should get it so we can talk to each other!"

Look at the PS3 for instance, the game comes with a messaging and friend system (PSN) weather you want it or not. Those that seem pointless at all? Ha! I guarantee that if you were to ask any PSN user if being able to tell whether or not a certain friend, who plays certain games with you, online is pointless or whether if chatting with any one is pointless, they'll respond something similar to "hell yeah it is!"
I'm not quite sure what your point is here? It sounds like you're saying the PS3's community features are worthless which is the opposite of what you're trying to convince me.

Before you post "Its pointless." think about it!
Obviously I have if I'm spending time posting all of this.

For those who can not do so:
You're saying I can't think now? What the hell is this?

I know for a fact that some of you guys meet someone on SRB2 that you've enjoyed playing with and would like to mean them again. With the program (I'm pretty sure this would have been added into it) you could click on the master server, scroll to the server that player is in (easier done if they are in the server you're in), click "view players in server", and add. Almost like adding players met on the PS3, shit, if worked on a bit it could have that included. I'm pretty sure that a lot of SRB2 players would love it and "probably" been longing for it.
I haven't actually. I have no love for anyone I've met playing SRB2 online. This doesn't really count considering I hate SRB2's netplay, but my point is that there would be no purpose to this program despite what you're saying. Skype and Mumble both already exist and do exactly what you want them to do sans SRB2 integration which isn't necessary! I really don't know why you're trying to push this all new program that nobody except you would use.

I don't think you understand the inherent problem here. The devs probably aren't going to spend time making a program that already exists. Look how often they release already when their only focus is SRB2! If they stopped to devote time to some silly little program, that's time spent away from making the core game.

Um...guy who said they had to make it right away? And how could the messaging program I've explained, that is to be made specifically for srb2, already exist? Also who are you to say what their only focus is? I'm pretty sure they do work on other things in there spare time they like to work on.
And I know that you know they do not work on srb2 24/7 at the same time.

It's not hard to say "hey guys there's this program called skype/mumble and we should get it so we can talk to each other!"

HAHAHA! I i expected most of what you were saying(in cluding the first quote and have already prepared a response. I find it funny that you didnt think i have tried that, considering that my Skype name is in my sig. The answers i get from that are:
I can't download that
Nah I don't feel like it
Ask me later. (forgotten)
The last two are usually said because players are to into the game, and who would want to wait till they are done? That's why i say include it in installation that way they could check their mail after u sent a request.

I'm not quite sure what your point is here? It sounds like you're saying the PS3's community features are worthless which is the opposite of what you're trying to convince me.

Sorry, lol, It was a typo, but I fixed it.

Obviously I have if I'm spending time posting all of this.

You sure? Because it seems to me that you didn't think about how the players in srb2 would feel rather than yourself.

You're saying I can't think now? What the hell is this?

I thought you realized that one quote up.

I haven't actually. I have no love for anyone I've met playing SRB2 online. This doesn't really count considering I hate SRB2's netplay, but my point is that there would be no purpose to this program despite what you're saying. Skype and Mumble both already exist and do exactly what you want them to do sans SRB2 integration which isn't necessary! I really don't know why you're trying to push this all new program that nobody except you would use.

Dude, I'm starting to question your intelligence now. If you never enjoyed playing with a player or, as you say, "have love for anyone" on srb2 then how can you tell whether it pointless or not? How the hell can you even say "I really don't know why you're trying to push this all new program that nobody except you would use.", huh? I dont know what in your right mind made you even think that any of that would even be 1% true. Remember you said that you have no favorite player to play with? Well If you would have THOUGHT on that then you would understand that you wouldn't have a clue on whether or not other players would use the program or not and that every one isn't you?
I've been playing SRB2 long enough to know that there are lots of Friendly srb2 players that would love to play with certain players and stay in contact with them. Not every one is ALLOWED to download other programs pal. So, once again you need to think about both the advantages and disadvantages of the program before you post "its pointless."

Okay, not only "I'm starting to question your intelligence" an unacceptable response", this argument is getting out of hand. Here's the thing:

If you want to stay in touch with people you met in a netgame, ask them to visit the #srb2fun chatroom. If they can't or don't want to download a program, they can use an online IRC service such as Mibbit. If they don't want to do that, tough luck. Regardless of whether or not the program you requested would be useful, there's simply no need for it when you might as well use IRC. Even if there were, I doubt anybody would be interested in making such a program.

I'm with SpiritCrusher on this. There are plenty of different ways to stay in touch. For one thing, I remember constantly seeing the same people in servers. I mean, if they visited the server once, you're bound to see them there again. There are also multiple things that can be used to stay in touch. E-Mail, Skype, MSN, Steam, IRC, YouTube, Ect. While it's possible for something to be created like that, it's not needed. If you truly had fun with someone, and they have NOTHING that I described, they're probably hiding their identity for a reason.

Currently, I think emblems disappear once you get them. I'm sure it will be the same with the emblem update.

How about making the emblems act like the Red Rings from Sonic Colors/Sonic Generations? A faded version of the emblem would appear the next time you play the level. If you collect it, you get an added bonus to the score. I'm not sure if people care about score in SRB2, so I might suggest giving a 1UP instead.

Every 50,000 points, you get a 1-UP. So each emblem could give you somewhere around 10,000 points, so you don't just get free 1-UPs every time you play, but you can still build up a few lives if you wanted to.

And I agree with Spirit and Simsmagic on the program thing. I wouldn't want an unwanted chat program on my computer - I use Steam for that. Having a built-in chat program for a sonic fangame seems like bloatware more than anything. I don't want it and it's just wasting space.

Okay, not only "I'm starting to question your intelligence" an unacceptable response", this argument is getting out of hand. Here's the thing:

If you want to stay in touch with people you met in a netgame, ask them to visit the #srb2fun chatroom. If they can't or don't want to download a program, they can use an online IRC service such as Mibbit. If they don't want to do that, tough luck. Regardless of whether or not the program you requested would be useful, there's simply no need for it when you might as well use IRC. Even if there were, I doubt anybody would be interested in making such a program.

Sigh, the main reason this program isn't cared for is because money involved. I might as well admit you guys were right, unless the producers are getting something in return from the consumers they wouldn't care for little needs like that. Btw I've been asking people about it and they agree that its a good idea.

I'm telling you people would love a easier friend system. Seriously though I don't think kids would like to sign up for a forum or do anything complicated. Just make finding friends easier and simple enough for even a 10 year old is what I'm aiming for.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Every 50,000 points, you get a 1-UP. So each emblem could give you somewhere around 10,000 points, so you don't just get free 1-UPs every time you play, but you can still build up a few lives if you wanted to.

And I agree with Spirit and Simsmagic on the program thing. I wouldn't want an unwanted chat program on my computer - I use Steam for that. Having a built-in chat program for a sonic fangame seems like bloatware more than anything. I don't want it and it's just wasting space.

Steam does the same thing I'm explaining.....give you a built in chat program you can't refuse. but you feel ok with it because its part of steam right?

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

Wow has anyone ever noticed how the forum users are very diferent from srb2 users? Its hard to explain.

Jeez i get more wants and likes when i ask about this in srb2 but less on the forums.

Let me ask this to STJ, do you guys even care for the srb2 players needs and wants? Is it only the forum users who count?

Wow has anyone ever noticed how the forum users are very diferent from srb2 users? Its hard to explain.

Jeez i get more wants and likes when i ask about this in srb2 but less on the forums.

Let me ask this to STJ, do you guys even care for the srb2 players needs and wants? Is it only the forum users who count?

You mean the people who play SRB2 netgames on the MS? Some of them actually do go to the forums, you know.

Don't get wound up just because other members here don't feel your suggestion is neccessary - the dev team can't go about accepting every Tom, Dick and Harry's ideas for SRB2, otherwise it's be in way more of a mess than it is now.

Now please can we not continue this silly argument, so I or any other moderator don't have to hand out infractions? Thanks.

You mean the people who play SRB2 netgames on the MS? Some of them actually do go to the forums, you know.

Don't get wound up just because other members here don't feel your suggestion is neccessary - the dev team can't go about accepting every Tom, Dick and Harry's ideas for SRB2, otherwise it's be in way more of a mess than it is now.

Now please can we not continue this silly argument, so I or any other moderator don't have to hand out infractions? Thanks.

Yeah, some. I got offended when they said it was pointless. I don't care if anyone doesn't like it just don't be rude about it. It is to easy to get an infraction on here that its just crazy.

And out of my whole 3 years of srb2 i've only ran into 5 or 6 forum users, I'm guess most of them play solo

Last edited:
I think 10,000 is a tad low. There are only a couple emblems in each level and finding them can be time consuming and difficult depending on where they are placed.

I say 25,000 points is a better #. Since there about 3 in each level, you could think of it as an extra 1UP box. They might be easier to find in earlier levels, but you might not stumble upon them as easy in later ones. Which means I don't think the points will have a huge impact on giving you free lives.

Sigh, the main reason this program isn't cared for is because money involved. I might as well admit you guys were right, unless the producers are getting something in return from the consumers they wouldn't care for little needs like that. Btw I've been asking people about it and they agree that its a good idea.
Nothing could be further from the truth. No money is involved in SRB2, on purpose, and for very good reason. There are no "consumers" in the traditional sense of the word, and we are not trying to get you to use a chat system if you don't want to.

However, there are a number of things that make your suggestion absolutely not going to happen. Here is a basic run-down:

First off, the SRB2 Master Server is just a list. In case you weren't aware, all the master server does is maintain a running list of independent servers for you to join. When you host a game on the master server, you send the MS some information about the server, and then the MS lists it. While your game is running, every once and a while the MS checks if your server is still running, and delists you when you don't say you're still there. When you join from the master server, the MS does even less. You ask for a list, and the MS provides it. You then join the server you want directly. The MS doesn't even get to know that you joined someone else's game. Once you're connected to the server, you aren't involved in our MS at all. The server and all of its parts are completely owned by the guy who's running the server, and the only connection it has to the MS is that little check to see if the server is still there.

This means that in order to do what you suggest, we'd have to completely tear the master server apart and build a new one from scratch. We'd need to build a method of generating user accounts as well as a client to reach the chat you're suggesting from outside the game. We'd also have to completely redo the entire in-game chat system to make you have to log into your user account, lock your user name in-game, and generally keep control over the whole system.

However, this isn't even the damning part to your suggestion. Assuming we had the programmers, time, and drive to put forth the effort to do it, we could theoretically do that, but then the issue becomes maintenance. The Master Server as it currently is requires very little work on our part to maintain. With the exception of occasional server reports when people break the rules and someone brings it to our attention, the entire system is self-sustaining. Once we turn it on, it keeps going until we turn it off without us having to do anything. If we made it a proper chat client with user accounts, that all changes. Suddenly we'd have to actually provide support to people who are having problems with the system. Forget your password? Someone harassing you in private messages? Account hacked? We'd have to deal with all of that. Even worse, we'd have to deal with chat moderation on a global scale, something we don't currently do at all. These issues are a problem for even large companies like Valve, and they spend massive amounts of time and resources to try to keep these issues under control. You can bet that tons of companies other than Valve would LOVE to make their own Steam and make millions of dollars off of it, but do you see them succeeding at doing it? If they can't do it with millions of dollars of budget and massive amounts of manpower, there's no way we could with our small team of volunteers.

Finally, this is all a hell of a lot of work for something that already has a perfectly viable alternative: all of those chat programs that already exist by third party vendors. We even provide an official solution in the form of our IRC channel and forums. These are much easier to maintain than our own system because a bunch of parts are run by third-party vendors and we don't have to do it ourselves. By doing this we make sure that we can actually keep running SRB2 a year or ten years from now if we still are interested in the project.

This is likely because most of the forum users have been here a while and already understand the stuff I outlined above. When there are already things that work just fine to do the job, your suggestion just sounds completely absurd to anyone who understands how much would be involved in making it happen. This is why you got such strong negative responses to your suggestion.

No, it's only the people that make practical, realistic suggestions that count. Your idea is not possible, so we disregarded it.

Sigh, the main reason this program isn't cared for

Because 87% of the MS are illogical 9-year olds that demand SRB2 become a DOOM port of 06 with every suggestion and pipe dream in their mind under the sun?

EDIT: 87%, excluding all the "Sonic"s apparently.

Last edited:
I think 10,000 is a tad low. There are only a couple emblems in each level and finding them can be time consuming and difficult depending on where they are placed.

I say 25,000 points is a better #. Since there about 3 in each level, you could think of it as an extra 1UP box. They might be easier to find in earlier levels, but you might not stumble upon them as easy in later ones. Which means I don't think the points will have a huge impact on giving you free lives.
Or we could give you more points for each Emblem you collect,like for exemple 1 Emblem collected = 5000 Points, 2 Emblems = 10000 Points,3 Emblems = 15000 Points,and like this 10 Emblems collected = 50000 Points. (So 20 = 100000,worth 2ups,30 = 150000,worth 3ups,and 40 Emblems = 200000,worth 4ups)

Last edited:
Or we could give you more points for each Emblem you collect,like for exemple 1 Emblem collected = 5000 Points, 2 Emblems = 10000 Points,3 Emblems = 15000 Points,and like this 10 Emblems collected = 50000 Points. (So 20 = 100000,worth 2ups,30 = 150000,worth 3ups,and 40 Emblems = 200000,worth 4ups)

.. That's exactly what we said. Except instead of your 5,000 per emblem collected, we had it at 10,000 (or 25,000)

I think it shouldn't be as high as 25,000. Points could be farmed VERY quickly then. 20,000? [so in total there would be up to 2 bonus lives per level, assuming there are 5 "in-level" emblems and 3 "special" emblems, as shown on a preview.]

What he's saying is that you get more points each emblem. Every emblem gives you more points than the previous one.

I have a new suggestion, how bout making it so that SRB2Doom Builder does not to close every time i run into a new random error, or is there already a fix for it.

Doom Builder is quite a picky program. I'm not sure if it's because the program is so old, or something entirely else, but there are countless errors. I swear I'm the only one that gets a lot of the errors I get. There is a new one, SRB2 Doom Builder 2, but I've never had any luck getting that to run on this computer.

Say, whatever happened to SRB2 Workbench? I remember hearing about some building tool called that that someone was making, but I never heard about it again.

I think it shouldn't be as high as 25,000. Points could be farmed VERY quickly then. 20,000? [so in total there would be up to 2 bonus lives per level, assuming there are 5 "in-level" emblems and 3 "special" emblems, as shown on a preview.]
Oh! Never mind! I totally forgot that there are 5 emblems per a level now.

I'm fine with 10,000 since it makes sense now. Perfect number.

The problem with making emblems provide points is that we have an emblem that you get for a high score. I'd prefer not requiring the player to know where the other emblems are as a necessity to get an emblem. It kinda defeats the purpose of the system in 2.1.

Do we still do prunes on this topic? That's a suggestion.

Also, has anyone ever considered an option for two point perspective in OGL? I know that's one of the main reasons for it, but architectural photography often uses corrective filters to make the photos look like two-point. Buildings taken in three-point look like they're leaning backward. If I wanted to take some facny screenshots of my work in OGL mode, I'd like two-point as an option.

And water should act like a light block, rather than a half life block.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 7, Members: 0, Guests: 7)

Back