• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

RBSonic - A thread.

lnferno

Blazing Creator
I'm aware that the community has had a Sonic overdose, but this has effectively been in development under 3 different titles for the past like 6 months, so I might as well show off what I have.

RBSonic is basically a Jack-Of-All-Trades Sonic, who can both gain height and speed rather quickly, but with drawbacks. I don't have his entire moveset and all of his extras set up, but Il show off what I currently have done.

srb20519.gif

Based off SRB1 1.4's Thwick, and CobaltBW's Jump Thrust, this is a heavily momentum-based jump thok which also is refreshed if you kill an enemy. Use this to either increase speed or as a quick height gain option.

srb20521.gif

The Drop Dash returns from Sonic Mania, with another trick up it's sleeve. Not unlike KRework, the Drop Dash has 3 levels of charge, and, brand new, if you charge up a Drop Dash and hit a wall, you perform the "all-new" Wall Dash, where you gain height based off the charge level, but you are forced to be vulnerable for a bit. This is your slower but more effective height gain option.

srb20520.gif

This move is a fusion of Sonic Chaos'/Sonic Triple Trouble's Strike Dash and the good old Peelout. This gives you a lot of extra speed, and you enter the "Strike State" where as long as you maintain a speed above your normal cap, you maintain invincibility. Beware, though, hitting any walls or making sudden turns will screw you over.

srb20522.gif

Straight from Sonic Triple Trouble, if you aren't in a ball mid-air, you can recurl using the Spin button. This can also be used to chain straight into other moves.

srb20523.gif

Whilst this is very unfinished, in the end, this will be a Boost Mode variant where you gain the ability to run on water, have unique running sprites (assuming certain circumstances), etc.

These are little things I've added for the heck of it so far.

OPTIONS! Yes, you can toggle some stuff.
srb20166.png

Elemental death animations!
srb20473.gif

Victory pose!
srb20524.gif

Yes, I have plans for some sort of XMomentum support.

All ability code is from scratch, any reused sprites I will ask for permission to use before release.

Hopefully this is interesting for y'all.

Last edited:
srb20541.gif

Hmm... what is this?

Well, this is just a random new move added to this Sonic, the typical Stomp carried over from the Modern games and the Elemental Shield.

srb20542.gif

It preserves your momentum as you dive down as well, for maximum speed gain potential. Use for aerial movement or in combo with the Drop Dash!

srb20543.gif

Oh yea, stomping into a vertical spring also enhances it's strength, so far.

It WILL also break strong bustable floors, but I have yet to set that up.

Also, as a trait carried over from the Hammer Drop of Mighty, this also will hurt enemies close to you when you land from a stomp.

Custom 2, mid-air.

Well, uh, got floor breaking working...

srb20544.gif

And just to show the true power of RBSonic...

How many of you know that emblem where Fang needs to take Knuckles' path in AGZ?

srb20545.gif

Only cheats here are using RBSonic and infinite lives.

Really neat character, but the only major concern I have is the moveset controls. Sticking the other abilities to stuff like multiple custom buttons may bring some problems with handling all of them in a smooth manner. Have you considered button combos? (ie. Jump (Thwick) > Spin (Dropdash) > Spin (Stomp))

tf does rb stand for

Really neat character, but the only major concern I have is the moveset controls. Sticking the other abilities to stuff like multiple custom buttons may bring some problems with handling all of them in a smooth manner. Have you considered button combos? (ie. Jump (Thwick) > Spin (Dropdash) > Spin (Stomp))

tf does rb stand for

I get the concern, but, uh... not entirely sure how I'd do that without making RBSonic either less fun or less able to chain all the moves presented.
Double-tapping Spin might work for the Stomp, I guess? I don't know.

EDIT: Reanalysizing this, I think my main fear is just that going for button combos will just make RBSonic more clunky than if he just used the Custom Buttons. Trust me, I've tried playing SMSReborn, which uses a lot of button combos, and it felt way too clunky to me.

For clarity: Only the Strike Peel, Stomp, and Super Cancel are on Custom Buttons.

Last edited:
Made unique sprites for the Stomp.

srb20552.gif

And fixed an issue with killing enemies preserving the Stomp:
srb20553.gif

Also, all spring types work properly now.
srb20554.gif

I really like this, and I really like how fast you're pumping out updates about the development. I would never be able to develop addons if any kind this fast... (especially considering coding is one of my big weak points.)

RB maybe stands for Radically Better Sonic

Also that Stomp move of yours looks a lot more like the Hammer Drop now

Last edited:
RB maybe stands for Radically Better Sonic

Also that Stomp move of yours looks a lot more like the Hammer Drop now

Yea, the design is of the Hammer Drop, it's basically a combination of the regular Stomp and Hammer Drop, I just keep calling it the stomp, lol.

To-do list:
- Possibly readjust controls.
- Add Hyper.
- Add Insta-Shield.
- General adjustments.
- Testing to see if everything works fine with every option.
- Closed beta testing.

Possibilities:
- Spindash tweaks exclusive to RBSonic.
- Uncurl.

Last edited:
Yea, the design is of the Hammer Drop, it's basically a combination of the regular Stomp and Hammer Drop, I just keep calling it the stomp, lol.

To-do list:
- Possibly readjust controls.
- Add Hyper.
- Add Insta-Shield.
- General adjustments.
- Testing to see if everything works fine with every option.
- Closed beta testing.

Possibilities:
- Spindash tweaks exclusive to RBSonic.
- Uncurl.

Can I be one of those beta testers? >u<

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back