This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
[...] I'm getting a "Flat lump xxxxxxxx data format could not be read" error, even though the format is correct. [...]
The format is incorrect. In your screenshot, SLADE lists their format as "Graphic (Doom)", which is for sprites, textures, HUD stuff, et cetera. Flats should be of the "Graphic (Flat)" type (which only works with certain specific image sizes, usually being power-of-two sized with equal width and height like 32x32, 64x64, and 128x128; your 16x112 image won't work in this case).

SRB2 supports using textures on floors/ceilings. If SRB2Kart supports this as well (which I don't know whether or not it does), you can get away with simply removing the "F_FLOOR" and "F_END" markers, then moving the "TX_END" marker to be just above "MAPZZ".

The format is incorrect. In your screenshot, SLADE lists their format as "Graphic (Doom)", which is for sprites, textures, HUD stuff, et cetera. Flats should be of the "Graphic (Flat)" type (which only works with certain specific image sizes, usually being power-of-two sized with equal width and height like 32x32, 64x64, and 128x128; your 16x112 image won't work in this case).

SRB2 supports using textures on floors/ceilings. If SRB2Kart supports this as well (which I don't know whether or not it does), you can get away with simply removing the "F_FLOOR" and "F_END" markers, then moving the "TX_END" marker to be just above "MAPZZ".
Huh. Okay.

Unfortunately, no. I don't see any way to make a texture function as a sector's flat.

Edit: Tried to do so using the SRB2 2.2 config, and... Well...

Attachments

• kart0000.png
    kart0000.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Configurations are just to set Zone Builder's workspace to be mostly compatible with the engine the map is going to be built for.
Setting Zone Builder to use 2.2s config for a Kart map doesn't make 2.2 features immediately available to Kart.

Kart probably doesn't support using textures as flats yet. Try adding your flat texture as a flat, and make sure to follow the required dimensions.

i did all of the 2.2 stuff, but a million errors come up because there are things missing. whats going on?

Have you set srb2.pk3 as a resource for the 2.2 configuration?
Builder_2020-11-10_11-46-34.png
When creating a map, are you selecting SRB2 2.2 as configuration?
Builder_2020-11-10_11-47-37.png

Last edited:
Mono Build?

Hello there!

I was trying to do some map editing unter Linux (LM 20 Ulyana).
However I didn't manage to run Zone Builder under Wine without functionality defeating crashes.

However what I did manage to do was to compile Ultimate Doom Builder after adding the official mono repositories so I could finally run msbuild.
Too bad the Zone Builder Configurations seem incompatible with Ultimate Doom Builder.

7+AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

attachment.php

Would it be possible to make Zone Builder mono compilation possible?

Or in case this would be too much of an effort, could you point me into the direction of other map editors for Srb2 that run stable under Linux?

While I don't plan anything too big and I'm simply playing around help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-11-15 16-10-40.png
    Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-11-15 16-10-40.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 698
Last edited:
SRB2 Configs for UDB - Maybe?

There's a folder in the SRB2 repository that seemingly has UDB configs for SRB2.
Maybe that would help?
EDIT: Although the UDMF config is incomplete. The Doom format config seems to be good though!

Last edited:
I finally started using this tool last night and wanna take a crack at making some levels. I've been reading through the tutorials and watching some on YouTube and they've been quite useful! I successfully created a platform surrounded by a gate that you have to jump over to hit a ring box, lol.

This definitely ain't Mario Maker; it's fun to tool around with though!

Anyone have any advice for a rookie?

I finally started using this tool last night and wanna take a crack at making some levels. I've been reading through the tutorials and watching some on YouTube and they've been quite useful! I successfully created a platform surrounded by a gate that you have to jump over to hit a ring box, lol.

This definitely ain't Mario Maker; it's fun to tool around with though!

Anyone have any advice for a rookie?

I won't say that I have a lot of experience, but I can say something.

This advice may seem stupid and naive, but for some reason many people ignore it. Use the wiki. No really. There is a lot that is written in it. I really like that you can download an example file (for linedefs) and see how it works.

You can also use vanilla cards for training. Just extract them from the archive (attention, you cannot edit in the archive, otherwise you will not be able to launch the game! Just extract the levels somewhere.)
You can find a lot of interesting things and create yourself. For example, how the driving lava is made at the end of the RVZ or how the puzzles work at the ATZ.

Also, I noticed that many people forget about the ZB settings. I do not know why. Be sure to check them out. Also one of the main tabs, which for some reason no one climbs - Preferences. You can customize a lot for yourself. Use this!

Also, one of the most important things that either forget a lot or do not do. This is the setting of Level Header and MAINCFG. Be sure to check it out if you haven't already.

Well, and most importantly - do not hesitate to lay out the levels, even if there is something not very direct. Criticism will only help you. Of course, now it's better to learn something, do something, perhaps study the linedefs or Level design.

Hope to see levels from you. Happy mapping!

̶a̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶l̶e̶v̶e̶l̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶l̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶o̶n̶e̶.̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶u̶n̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶l̶e̶v̶e̶l̶.̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶d̶v̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶s̶.̶ ̶b̶r̶u̶h̶

Hello! Anyone from the Staff, can you add something to the topic? Your username (in the folder that is located C:\User\) should not contain Cyrillic (Russian letters).
If there is Cyrillic on the way, then Zone Builder will not work very correctly. For example, I could not test my level until I saved it, because there were errors related to the temporary file located in appdata.

You can read my post above about this. After updating windows everything broke.

I needed to change the name because some game was not working for me, and I decided to check what happened to Zone Builder - everything was fine!

Just reporting that I have got a "crash" due to "attempt to read or write protected memory" (my translation into english) on version 2.9.0.2501. The Builder still worked fine but it didn't let me edit anything so I had to save (to a different file to test things out) and re-open, which seems to be working completely fine without any lost changes, but I don't know for sure, and I'll rollback to my last saved version instead of trying to find out if something is broken.

I can't seem to find the tool to search inside a thread anymore and Google didn't bring anything useful up. If this kind of error has already been reported, then nevermind this post and I'd appreciate if, if more is known about it, someone could tell me more.

Whoops, that's a double mistake: not only are those prefixes incorrect, slope effects 723-725 and 730-735 aren't actually supported by SRB2 yet.

I've just fixed the prefixes in the config, so it will be resolved in the next Zone Builder release. In the meantime, you can always get the latest config from the repository.

Downloaded and installed, and managed to turn that repo code into a working .cfg file.

Everything seems to be working, because I am getting the functional preview of linedef 7 for starters (ie. not launching the game to see the effect). I find it great that the tooling is being improved again, especially since the recent OLDC events have really raised the bar for level design (as this and coming features will make complex and high quality levels easier to make).

EDIT: Getting used to the interface, accidentally banged the 'reply' button to edit at first.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back