This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

MK.exe

The one and only!
Kart Krew™️
This version is Outdated.

Heres my attempt at a Kart map. It can be quite challenging for beginners but it has a nice Flow for more experienced Karters.

Report bugs and all that jazz to me, Enjoy!

Music - Cosmic Carnage - Sound Test 9

Some assets were used from the textures.kart file

Changelog
v1
- Initial release

v2
- Added an Invisible wall on the 1st spiral to prevent fall off on the bridge
- Fixed Checkpoints so they work more constantly
- Fixed End signpost
- Minor Level tweaks

v3
- Checkpoints and waypoints fixed
- Now has a Encore Pal

v4
- Now in delicious .pk3 flavour!
- New Map layout added (don't worry the old layout is still in the file!)
- 2nd spiral is now much wider and has no slope physics
- Speed boosters are now easier to see
- The S turn midway should be a little more visible
- Added new MusicDef
- Other minor level tweaks

Attachments

• kart0006.png
    kart0006.png
    189.6 KB · Views: 1,260
  • kart0007.png
    kart0007.png
    223.2 KB · Views: 1,075
  • kart0011.png
    kart0011.png
    229.6 KB · Views: 1,064
  • kart0005.png
    kart0005.png
    234.5 KB · Views: 1,001
  • KR_LakeMargorite_v4.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 956
  • kart0044.png
    kart0044.png
    293.6 KB · Views: 749
  • kart0045.png
    kart0045.png
    263.7 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
So, yeah...

This shit is REALLY good!

Your course design, attention to detail, and slope play makes the course really dynamic and engaging, it feels like it came straight out of one of our best level designers. Great road width and a bunch of shortcuts ranging from easy to advanced make this a ton of fun to play. Sloped spirals are not easy to pull off but you nailed that first 360 degree turn perfectly. It has tons of room to adjust your drift angle and the textures help visualize the turn so players don't get lost. You're scenery does a great job of not obstructing the track any more than it needs to and it really pays off. I love the small touches of CLIFF near the tighter turns as an indicator that you need to slow down, while also giving the player a bit more space to adjust their drift before they hit off-road.

It still has some quirks that hold it back from online-play, however. Most importantly are the Waypoints/Checkpoints. We tested online and they're not placed correctly, ca using positions to swap to random numbers that aren't indicative of your actual place. Check my Waypoint/Checkpoint tutorial to help troubleshoot them

Next are actual map issues, doing this checklist style:

KG8rk1U.png

This last set of item boxes should be removed. They're both too close to the last item set, and too close to the Finish Line. You want players to go about 12 to 15 seconds before they reach another set of item boxes, so I'd just delete the whole set.

eWPpqkZ.gif

Using a speed boosting item on this slope can sling you off of the bridge and back down to the 360 degree turn. Consider adding an invisible FOF to stop players from flying off.

Zo5mtgq.gif

I'm not entirely sure why this deathpit is here. It's completely blind considering you're going downhill, and it's easy to get bumped into from just the wall, let alone 7-15 other players. Add some off-road here or close off the area with more wall.

GvbXosi.gif

I haven't opened up your map, but based on the netgame we had, you don't have an endlevel sign placed near the Finish Line. Without one, the sign defaults to the player's position, and if that's under a platform, the sign vanishes as it lands on the floor. Place the sign in front or behind the finish line sector so that it's out of the way of any ceilings.

vBb2tuM.png

This S-turn is completely invisible. The slope bends down right as the turn converts from one quick curve to the next, but the angle of the road is telling you to head towards that shortcut under the overhang. You'll need to slope the road downward as you turn into this area so the player has enough time to view the S-turn ahead of them.

Those are all of the major issues. I really hope you'll look into these, because it's an absolutely amazing course, and it could be even better if these issues get fixed.

Thank you, im glad you enjoyed it! I'll have a look at this issues tommorw and fix ASAP for next

Update to reflect Chromes response above more details in OP changelog

Chrome's enthusiasm has got me hyped for this map. I'm going to get it uploaded to our server, nice one :)

This map is really cool! I have a couple of complaints, but they're pretty minor overall:

- The S turn Chrome mentioned above is still somewhat blind and hard to follow. The arrows really help, but I'd consider maybe extending the slope all the way back to the turn preceding it (and bank the turn itself to match) so that you have plenty of time to see the road itself.
- The spiral after that is really difficult to navigate without bumping into walls, mostly because it banks outward and the road's pretty narrow (both of which are hard to see until you're right up on the turn). I think either would be fine by itself, and if you asked me I'd go for keeping the banking and widening the turn a tad. I get if this turn is intentionally designed to be tricky, though.

Other than that, really cool! It's a bit big to download from a server, but I understand that that's because of some large textures that you can't do anything about. Can't wait for Kart 1.0.2 so maps like these can be converted to PK3 for a much smaller filesize! Maybe you can wadzip it for now, even if that makes it harder for people to poke at the contents and see how the map works...

Last edited:
Thank you fickle,

A banked sloped to connect into the S turn is a great idea, i'll have a go at that to see if it improves.

Whilst the track is ment to be slightly challenging i do agree the 2nd spiral is a bit tight, i'll have a look at widening that part and probably make it a smoother slope gradient or just apply no slope physics.

I'll definitely look into the wadzip option too.

I enjoyed the new, extended version of Lake Margorite, but I do have one issue with it. Whenever I load the Dreamscape Gardens set of tracks, Lake Margorite C will override Nuclear Nova Zone (and vice versa) as both maps share the MAPK4 slot. This can be an issue when wanting to have both packs being loaded for a server.

. . . . Whenever I load the Dreamscape Gardens set of tracks, Lake Margorite C will override Nuclear Nova Zone (and vice versa) as both maps share the MAPK4 slot. This can be an issue when wanting to have both packs being loaded for a server.

Damn it! I wanted to have all the map slots in between K0 and K9. Thanks for pointing that out though, i'll have a talk with the creator of that map pack so we can sort out an agreement on what slots to use.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back