Resource icon

[Open Assets] Spring Frontflip (v1.3.1)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Demnyx Onyxfur

Demnyx Onyxfur
In the air? Do you have enough speed to launch yourself high into the sky? Have you just hit a spring?

DO A FLIP
attachment.php

But not too low because you might bump your head that that's not good.
attachment.php

These GIFs use both Momentum and FallingAnimations, but they are not required.

I combed through all of the characters on the MB, as of May 18th 2020, and the majority of them work!
yeah im insane

In order to add your own character, you need to add a simple Lua script.
First, you need to find what roll frame you wish them to "uncurl" from, for example Sonic uncurls on frame E. This differs from character to character, which is why we have the frontfliptable!

How simple is this code? Well..
attachment.php

Example: frontfliptable["sonic"] = E

It shouldn't matter if you add the character before or after SpringFrontflip, it should still function properly.

- Both Spyro the Dragon and Spyro the Hedgehog share the same skinname (Don't add both in the same session.)
- ModernSonic, SMS and Spyro(Nero) do not uncurl normally, and therefore are forced into fall state when close to the ground
- OVA Knuckles and HMS123311 don't flip for some reason
- I'm terrible at post formatting

v1.3.1:
- Uncommented Spyro from the table. Considering the skinnames conflicting, I doubt players will add both characters in the same session.

v1.3:
- Removed second check for UglyKnux, he said he's ok
- Changed frame numbers to corresponding letters. Genuinely did not know I could use the letters.

v1.2:
- Amy won't drop her hammer anymore
- Added a NiGHTS check just in case

v1.1:
- Fixed being able to flip twice in one spring

v1:
- Initial release

Attachments

• srb20179.gif
    4 MB · Views: 7,241
  • srb20177.gif
    4.5 MB · Views: 7,507
  • springfrontflip.png
    springfrontflip.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 756
  • springflip2.png
    springflip2.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 3,950
  • VL_SpringFrontflip-v1.3.1.lua
    4 KB · Views: 1,298
Last edited:
Aww man... I was just working on something like this myself, though mine is more focused on making a Spring Flag with function than the animations, so it doesn't look nearly as good.

Should I even finish mine with this available?

Last edited:
srb20000.gif

I dont know if its intentional or not but the spring frontslip only works if you add the momentum and the falling animation

I dont know if its intentional or not but the spring frontslip only works if you add the momentum and the falling animation

I forgot to mention when I originally posted this that I had Momentum and FallingAnimations added. Without FallingAnimations, SpringFrontflip only works with springs, and anything that sets the player's state to S_PLAY_SPRING.

What does "uncurl frame" mean?

The "uncurl frame" in question is the ROLL frame where the character looks like they'll uncurl and stop spinning. Like when you do a flip in real life, you'd "uncurl" when your feet are pointing toward the ground.
Something close to this:
mr6Vt8H.png

Last edited:
The game doesn't like it when you try to mix my Spyro with Radicalicous' Spyro So it's either one or the other. Even then their ideal uncurl frames are both on E...

...Is what I would be saying if front angle was consistent with the other angles but w/e, just another thing to fix. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spyro is also still spinning well after everyone else has uncurled, probably from my arse-about way of avoiding all the Thok shenanigans (and to be able to glide after being springed) by forcing the jumped flag onto Spyro whenever he's in the air

Last edited:
Spyro is also still spinning well after everyone else has uncurled, probably from my arse-about way of avoiding all the Thok shenanigans (and to be able to glide after being springed) by forcing the jumped flag onto Spyro whenever he's in the air

Yeah a certain handful of characters don't uncurl, but should be uncurling right before hitting the ground.
It's very subtle, though.
attachment.php

I'll update the file to remove the commented bit out for Spyro. Shouldn't be much of an issue because I doubt the majority of players will have both Spyro mods added at once.

Attachments

• srb20185.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 2,810
Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back