[Open Assets] Quick Attack (now configurable!)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OtherChen

The other one
Pikachu best fighter 2002, Falco and G&W are scrubs

Press Custom 1 (by default) to unleash the Quick Attack -- an all-directional double dash that follows your movement keys.

You can customize the behaviour of the Quick Attack using the console variables below. Note that some of them will have no effect unless the "cheat" variable is also enabled.

For even more customization, use the console variables below:
qa_button: use a different button for the Quick Attack (default is CUSTOM1, can be changed to CUSTOM2, CUSTOM3, JUMP, SPIN, and FLAG)
qa_amount: number of times to dash (default is 2)
qa_dist: distance factor of each dash (default is 160)

qa_cheat: allow the following timing variables to be changed (server/admin only; players can always change the values, but they'll have no effect if qa_cheat is off)
qa_bounce: normally you'll bounce off the ground if you dash downward, but with this turned off you'll simply shoot forward as you land
qa_starttime: delay before initial dash
qa_dashtime: duration of the dash; increase this just a bit for a smoother ride
qa_midtime: time between each dash
qa_holdtime: maximum time that the player can delay the move by holding the button (default is 105 tics or 3 seconds, but holding is disabled if the move is bound to Jump or Spin)
qa_multitime: how long after using the move you can use it again. Set it to 0 for true multiability.
qa_midbrake: how hard to brake while charging the move; higher numbers mean you'll drift in the air more
qa_endbrake: how hard to brake at the end of the move; higher numbers mean you'll come out of Quick Attack faster. At maximum value, it effectively becomes a thok.

Works with analog controls, 2D, and Axis2D (probably).

UPDATE 2.1 (2015-06-01)
  • Allowed the button for Quick Attack to be changed through the console
  • Allowed other timings and variables to be changed through the console, but only if a special "cheat" variable is enabled
  • Lifted some character restrictions now that the button can be changed

KNOWN ISSUES
  • Now that you can change the button for Quick Attack, custom characters such as Greeneyes can now use the ability. That doesn't mean they'll play nicely, though...
  • Doesn't work well with Hover and Air Drill abilities, and may or may not work with your custom character's ability
  • The cvars haven't been tested in netgames yet

Attachments

• quickattack1.gif
    quickattack1.gif
    3.6 MB · Views: 1,834
  • quickattack2.gif
    quickattack2.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,424
  • quickattack7.gif
    quickattack7.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,389
  • quickattack8.gif
    quickattack8.gif
    3.9 MB · Views: 1,215
  • quickattack.lua
    15.8 KB · Views: 870
Last edited:
It's great fun to goof off with this and use it to bounce super-high off of crawlas. Its use for mobility is really good, too. Welcome to Releases!

Hm, a quickattack ability, based off the one from the Smash Bros series? Thank you.
srb20003.gif

Edit: noticed a random error, or so I think it's random. But the error is that the player after getting shot up into the air uses their thok ability. Not sure why it happens, but it happened to me quick usually.

Last edited:
The image you are showing doesn't appear, TheDoctor.

Also, I really like this ability. Good Job recreating the most spammable move in SSB.

Sonichu...
IT HAS TO BE A JOKE WAD. Seriously.

Story: Pikachu and Sonic suffered a mutation, and they fused into one hero, Sonichu! (Very unoriginal story, i think)

Ability: Quick Attack. Same as SSB, use it to propel you with a Double-Air Dash towards anywhere!

Tip: Use Quick Attack carefully, because if you aren't used to it, you can propel accidentally to your death!

Sonichu.jpg

Or somethin' like that.

For some reason, when I try doing the spindash bounce attack, I just do a bounce, without a spindash. Do I need to be super to perform this?

Are you holding Spin the entire time? You have to be holding it as you touch the ground the second time, or it'll cancel.

I noticed that this ability is bugged with Axis2D.
Then, I made a fix for it.
cger10W.png

This makes it where the player has Normal Quick Attack off-axis and Easy Quick Attack on-axis.

Now, this is of very big concern, since this wad tends to be used for all characters except specifics, but my concern now is that if its possible to attach this to one character only? If anything, I would recommend a character modification file as well... or an easier way to assign to a single character.

Sonichu...
IT HAS TO BE A JOKE WAD. Seriously.

Story: Pikachu and Sonic suffered a mutation, and they fused into one hero, Sonichu! (Very unoriginal story, i think)

Ability: Quick Attack. Same as SSB, use it to propel you with a Double-Air Dash towards anywhere!

Tip: Use Quick Attack carefully, because if you aren't used to it, you can propel accidentally to your death!

Sonichu.jpg

Or somethin' like that.

On it now, I shall now make sonichu! Why not, I must start making sprites for sonichu. Also, i love this ability.

ok, so I got it to work. now for the next order of business: how do I map it to the jump button as an ability? just switching the button for the attack will make it so anytime I use the ability, the character does the dash without jumping first.

another thing, how do I increase the range of the dash without increasing the amount of time the wind up lasts?

Last edited:
ok, so I got it to work. now for the next order of business: how do I map it to the jump button as an ability? just switching the button for the attack will make it so anytime I use the ability, the character does the dash without jumping first.

Replace all BT_CUSTOM1 ocurences by BT_JUMP in the lua lump, I guess. (Use Slade's search and replace tool.)
Even tough I'm almost sure this would break the ability to just do that as it was built for an use with custom1, but you can still try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back