Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this would probably never happen but I would actually like NiGHTs and Reala from NiGHTs Into Dreams go appear in the game. (and Waluigi)

Considering echoes, I could see a few more characters making it in simply because they would be easy to produce. Dunno how many more we'll see in practice, but it would be really easy to just set up some unique animations and voicelines for someone like Funky Kong, Blood Falcon, Ken, etc.. In particular, the last Direct set up the precedent for more villains and rivals making it into the roster, and Shadow hasn't shown up as an assist trophy, so I'd honestly say his odds aren't that bad.

I don't know how to speculate beyond that. I still think we're due for at least one more major reveal, which could be either another fan favorite, or Monster Hunter or some shit.

Skull Kid was one interesting theory for a character that I could see happening

Last edited:
I'd expect a couple more myself, although nothing third-party beyond this. I still hope we'll get another surprising nostalgic one like Duck Hunt and Mr. Game and Watch were.

That would be cool. Duck Hunt and Pacman were the biggest surprises for me in Smash 4. I don't know a lot of old characters (only knew Duck Hunt from the internet), but it is a cool way to celebrate gaming history.

So, the last Super Smash Bros. Direct before Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's launch has come out now. ~Link~ The rest of this comment contains a lot of spoilers about it:
Make sure to see the Direct before opening the next spoiler!
I'm slightly let down by that Shadow the Hedgehog has been confirmed/shown to be an Assist Trophy, especially after the flame particles when Inceneroar first jumped looked a bit like Shadow's golden spin-aura to me. I was not expecting Shadow the Hedgehog to be playable, but I was "not not" expecting it either.

As for Ken and Inceneroar as fighters, I have no opinion on them other than just "more fighters, more fun".

About Piranha Plant, I'm not sure whether that character will be acquireable for free until a certain time and then paid-for later, or free until a certain time and completely unacquireable afterwards. While I'm definitely getting the game as soon as I can (which includes pre-ordering it from Nintendo's eShop in my case), thus making that irrelevant for me, I still hope that it's the former, as an only-available-before-some-day fighter is not a good idea in my opinion.

Oh, and Spirits (Edit: And/Or the "story" mode)... I'll probably like it more than I'm expecting myself to, but it doesn't seem like something that I'm really interested in right now.

Last edited:
Less than I was expecting on the fighters front, but still satisfied.

Spirits looks fun. Their take on the story mode seems like a three-way compromise between SSE, Smash Tour, and Event Matches, where the story and the world map ties everything together, and the altered enemy fighters make the battles more distinct. I honestly like the general idea of NPC "spirits" supporting the main fighters with different skills. Not only does it add a certain RPG element that I know SSE was trying to go for with the stickers, but it seems like a clever way of representing as many characters as possible; even if they're technically just icons in practice.

I didn't see any platforming stages a la Melee's Adventure mode, so that's a little sad.

Smash 4 had a platforming stage hidden in the Wii U edition, and 3DS had smash tour.

If you're suggesting Ultimate will have a sliver of platforming hidden somewhere in the game... that's certainly possible, but where? It's not hinted at anywhere; my only guess is that it could be a small sideshow in Classic mode or the new "Adventure", but that's only speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back