Letting your PC run 24/7 vs. turning it off at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Pepper

Like the title says, do you leave your PC running 24/7, or shut it off/use sleep mode whenever you're not using it?

As for me: Because Ubuntu's APM sleep isn't working on my machine, currently, I'm leaving it on all the time. Sometimes, I'll let it download something during the night, so it's at least doing something that's kinda productive while I sleep. :P It's a pretty modern PC, so there isn't any noticeable negative effects as a result of doing this.

Also, I'm kinda curious. Is the above a bad thing for PCs in the long run? :P

I always turn it off when I go to sleep.
You guys are the cancer that is killing the planet.
Wasting energy and resources to get your goddamned animes and whatshitnot during night. I hate you! >:(

It really depends on what my computer is doing. If it's downloading or if my sister can't be bothered saving her work (then leaving it there for several days) then I don't shut it down. Most of the time though I do.

Actually, on my first XP install, i COULDN'T shut down. D: It'd just restart. Reformatting (I had to after a boot sector virus) fixed it.

I'll Begin said:
Actually, on my first XP install, i COULDN'T shut down. D: It'd just restart. Reformatting (I had to after a boot sector virus) fixed it.
I'm shocked Windows would you that kind of trouble. ACPI Power Management usually "just works" right out of the box on Windows XP. O_o'

That's almost the exact same problem I'm having with Ubuntu right now. I can't get it to shutdown, it will only restart or (partially) suspend to hard disk. >_> That's the main reason why I leave it on, 'cause I'm too lazy to boot back into XP and THEN shutdown. I'll figure out how to get APM shutdown working eventually though, just like everything else about Ubuntu. :P

I always leave mine on, cause it's a pain to turn off and on.

Off topic, but...this seems more appropriate for war or general discussion, wouldn't you say?

I turn my computer off at night. Hell, I turn it DOWN when I'm not using it during the day. My Asus motherboard came with a program that reduces voltages and such through a little menu, so I just crank it way down when I'm not using it. Really quiets down the fan, too.

Dr.Pepper said:
I'll Begin said:
I'm shocked Windows would you that kind of trouble. ACPI Power Management usually "just works" right out of the box on Windows XP. O_o'
It actually came out of the box with Windows ME. We upgraded to XP a few years after we got it.

Yes. I'm using a 9 year old computer. :P Just look at my specs (on my xFire profile)

I turn it off. Why leave it on. The cpu gets slower if you leave it on. At least with my cpu it does.

I have a laptop computer, and when I'm done for the day, I just close the lid. It falls into a deep sleep but doesn't turn off completely.

I turn mine off, mainly because I suffer from insomnia and it's right under my bed.

All of my computers go off at night, apart from my Mythbuntu media centre and my CentOS home server, and my machine in my lounge usually doesn't go off because my dad can't be bothered turning it off.

I just turn off my monitor, the reason why is because lately with this monitor acting up, if I turn off the computer for so long and turn it on again, it takes about 15 minutes for the monitor to warm up, leaving the tower on and turning off the monitor makes it turn on at a normal speed. The bad part is it seems to be running up the electrical bill. :<

Shuffle said:
I turn my computer off at night. Hell, I turn it DOWN when I'm not using it during the day. My Asus motherboard came with a program that reduces voltages and such through a little menu, so I just crank it way down when I'm not using it. Really quiets down the fan, too.

Same!
My PC(Vista) from Dell does this.

Through a little "dell" menu,you can crank the enegy/voltage and or make it higher for better performance.

I don't think this is a subject that you can really debate about, moved.
That said, I usually turn my computer off before I go to sleep, or when I don't need to use it for extended periods of time.

I turn it off just to save power, isn't that what you should always do? You guys with high electricity bills wonder, why's it so high? your answer, YOU LEAVE YOUR COMPUTER ON! you should just turn it off when not being used...so to answer your question, Yes, I turn of My Computer, and for it being a bad thing well, It won't hurt your computer if you have Virus protection on, but it will seriously hurt your electric bill.

I leave it on so I can quickly resume whatever it was that I was doing. I take that nobody here actually does any serious multitasking?

I just put it on hibernate so it uses less power and allows me to quickly resume what I'm doing.

FoxBlitzz said:
I leave it on so I can quickly resume whatever it was that I was doing.
This

Also because I'm doing server related things, and the fact that I'm still using my laptop that I've been using for 7+ years that only needed formating; Only three times for Windows installation and somewhere near six for Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10. This laptop also boots up, applies, and loads things incredibly slow which I don't get since I just formatted the thing.

When I was using Ubuntu, I grew pretty fond of it's appearence and etc... The only problem I had is that it would start to slow down and freeze at times when I'm loading or working on something. Shortly after, it would create a weird clicking noise for unknown reasons and wouldn't go away till I restarted. But when I restarted, I had a chance of the GRUB loader not being able to boot Ubuntu and reading it as a "Read disk error".

With XP, I scarcely get this problem.

But yeah, It could also be from that I'm using a Compaq Persario 2200 that was designed for Windows XP usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back