Bland LRZ2 Texture

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueZero4

(not a palindrome)
BlandBlandBland.png

Okay, so I've expanded the stone tile accents from the original S3&K enough to almost be able to use it as its own texture set. The problem is, this texture sucks. It's really bad when it tiles a lot, and even when it's used alone there's still that big gaping blank spot in the center.

In case you need a reference, this is a sprite sheet of the original LRZ2 texture set. The "stone tiles" are the turquoise stuff that Sonic walks on, as well as the supports which run through the foreground. The image above uses the colors I've picked from the SRB2 palette, if you were wondering.

I can't think about how to fill that open space myself, so I turn to you guys. I know we've got a bunch of pixel artists in the forums, so I'm hoping that you guys will have some ideas as to how to fill that space. I'm mostly looking for something subtle that repeats well. If you've got something that looks good but isn't either of those two, post it anyway. It might fit my needs regardless.

Last edited:
Sorry. Links busted.
EDIT: Found it. Try adding rocks in the middle?
EDIT 2: I would try but I have no clue how to make good textures.

Last edited:
Add some diagonal shading stripes to the middle, maybe? I dunno, look at some of the SRB2 tiles. A few of them are kind of blank in the middle, but they compensate with shading.

I tried something diferent with this texture, see:

blandblandbland4.png

blandblandbland1.png

blandblandbland2.png

blandblandbland3.png

I don't know if they are good, but if you like of someone...... here it is. XD

Okay, so apparently the MFZ hates hotlinking of whatever you call it. The link in the first post has been changed to TSR, but you can get the link right here if you're too lazy to scroll up to the first post.

Fawfulfan, the biggest problem with DSZ3's diagonal shading lines (the texutre, not the act) is that they don't show up at long distance. They work up close, just not far away. And there's also that nasty moire thing.

Spherallic, save as a PNG before uploading please.

Also, those are pretty much the colors from the original LRZ2 that I used in my texture. Now that the link is fixed, you can see for yourself. I'm very conservative with my texture importing.

PHCC, you're not using the palette. I'm not sure if you've ever tried importing a graphic which isn't in the palette, but what happens is the lump editor tries to pick a color in the palette which is close to the original color. The textures you've posted don't nearly have as smooth color transition when imported. But I did import all of them, and I was pleasantly surprised.
  • The first seems the best to me. The design is subtle but noticeable, which is exactly what I was looking for. I'll toy with it myself to see if I can make it fit in the palette and still look nice.
  • I like how the second texture implies a shape to the tile, but it tiles poorly.
  • The third texture is too dark for my needs, and importing makes the colors screw up worse than the others.
  • The fourth I must've imported wrong, because the level sigsev'd on load. Again, it's too dark for my needs. It looks really cool, it's just I'm not making a dystopia.

Yes Neo, I'm being lazy by making this topic. I realize that I'm asking other people to do most of the work. Unsurprisingly, I'm only getting fancy filter effects from fancy image editors.

I HAVE put in the work for other textures. Just not this one.

willyashutupnow.png

Have a texture, redone with MSPaint.

I had to edit the colors on some parts for shading purposes, though. Cyan doesn't have quite enough colors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back