What do you think about the overhaul of the official website?

CloneFighter

Mediocre Lua scripter
I know it's still WiP, as some of the screenshots have yet to be taken and some of the pages have yet to be remade, but so far we have a glimpse of the page's new design. What do you think?
So far it's great! Although one of the separation bars spoils an unlockable character. Might have to replace that with... Eggman? idk

Btw, click here to visit the website

The new website design is great! It was long overdue, to be honest. On the Discord, a dev member (I believe it was SeventhSentinel) said that Amy's presence in the separation bars was meant to make people wonder what she's doing there, since the website doesn't mention her by name anywhere else. It's similar to how Fang and Metal Sonic have silhouettes behind Eggman in the characters page, which similarly foreshadows their presence.

As I understand it, the current updates being made to the site are temporary until the real total redesign is made, which may take a while.

Looks fine to me, but the nav needs to sit in a collapsed top bar when on mobile really, that’ll also give a bit more space for the content.

What desperately needs tweaking is the vBulletin container width and post it profile placement, because the MB is a nightmare on mobile

Minor nitpick about the forum but Impact Blue forum style shows users custom titles twice, not a big deal but figured I might as well mention it here in case you feel like tweaking this style:

Untitled.png

It still has that mid-2000's look but honestly I want it to keep its retro and simple look.

I like the updated pictures tho.

So, couple things regarding the website:

- My job is to update the main pages' content, not the look. Shane will be taking care of the styling work later. It'll be much easier to navigate on mobile by the time he's done.
- We will be migrating the message board from vBulletin v3 to the latest version of Xenforo. That means no more broken voting system and a different addon/resource submission process, as well as making the MB easier to navigate on mobile.
- We may also end up with a new Wiki. Please let me know of any wiki software we should be looking into! Currently we use MediaWiki.

I'm glad to see you guys are excited about this. SRB2.org has been seriously neglected for about a decade now, and it's my pleasure to help bring it into the 21st century. I hope it'll attract new players!

I don't think the new style looks that much different. But as it will be renewed anyway I am excited.

Maybe something with responsive design?
It is quite bothersome to browse the MB on a mobile device so I am looking forward to see improvements with the deployment of XenForo

I haven't worked with many wiki systems besides Atlassian Confluence but it is great as a knowledge base and for user manuals and it integrates quite nicely into the rest of the Atlassian ecosystem but it is quite costly. Maybe something more FOSS would be better for a nonprofit organization.

We will be migrating the message board from vBulletin v3 to the latest version of Xenforo. That means no more broken voting system and a different addon/resource submission process, as well as making the MB easier to navigate on mobile.
That's very good news. This forum has been in dire need of an upgrade for many years. Hopefully it works out better than the previous attempt did.

As for the wiki software, MediaWiki is pretty standard but if you're looking to move away from it I'd suggest DokuWiki.

So, couple things regarding the website:

- My job is to update the main pages' content, not the look. Shane will be taking care of the styling work later. It'll be much easier to navigate on mobile by the time he's done.
- We will be migrating the message board from vBulletin v3 to the latest version of Xenforo. That means no more broken voting system and a different addon/resource submission process, as well as making the MB easier to navigate on mobile.
- We may also end up with a new Wiki. Please let me know of any wiki software we should be looking into! Currently we use MediaWiki.

I'm glad to see you guys are excited about this. SRB2.org has been seriously neglected for about a decade now, and it's my pleasure to help bring it into the 21st century. I hope it'll attract new players!

Many good news... This is amazing!

Good to hear it’s moving to XenForo, vB’s newest iterations suck pretty bad. XenForo is basically the new go-to for forum software

Just means having to redo a lot of the custom stuff really, but it’s also a lot easier to work with then vB

im going to miss the old website design lol, very cute and simple. but as far as it doesnt look like a generic minimalist 2020 website ala deviantart and twitter, im fine.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back