When will we get Discord RPC?

You possibly haven't heard, but it was deprecated in favor of Discord's GameSDK.

But even then, I think that integration isn't needed yet, for SRB2 or SRB2Kart.

There were some experiments with RPC loooong ago but it wasnts really carried on

Stone dead because of Discord's SDK licensing being incompatible with open-source GPL-licensed software. Blame them for being hostile to independent developers.

Stone dead because of Discord's SDK licensing being incompatible with open-source GPL-licensed software. Blame them for being hostile to independent developers.

Viral licenses are a crock of shit anyway. It puts horrendous restrictions on what you can use in your software. It's fine in the fact that you have to open-source your modifications but having to only use libraries that are also compatible with its incredibly restrictive terms just hinders development - like with the above.

I believe you can sidestep it by writing a GPL shim or something like that, and perhaps shipping with a stub DLL that can be swapped out?

However it's also worth noting that Discord RPC is just not being added to any more, the RPC mechanism is still going to work for the foreseeable future as per the below. So you can still use DiscordRPC as it's MIT.

Is my stuff gonna break?

Nah. The tech behind this SDK—connection to Discord via IPC/unix sockets and sending commands/listening for events—is how the new SDK works as well. So you should not expect your implementations to break. But, if you wanna be safe and future-proof and get cool new features, you can upgrade to the new SDK.

https://github.com/discord/discord-rpc/issues/290

Last edited:
Hi! Just saw this thread, thought I'd shed some light on it. I made a fully-working implementation of Discord RP for SRB2Kart right a couple months before its release. It showed you the person's character, the level they were on, the game type, even going as far as letting you join the person's server if they were on a public one.

I don't think it's as black & white as anyone here has said. The issue was actually just about how it was a huge grey area, so it's been left in a bit of a limbo. I couldn't figure out if we were allowed to push the Discord Application ID/Client ID to the codebase. Being able to freely provide it and let anyone who compiles use our Client ID would be most ideal, but I couldn't find anything on if that was allowed or not, and I couldn't get an answer from Discord Support on that front. I saw documents saying that you couldn't hand out your Client Secret, another ID that's meant to be handled extremely carefully; however, we weren't using that. There was no solid verdict on the Client ID.

If we weren't allowed to freely give the Client ID in the source code, I also couldn't figure out if not including it would violate the GPL license. Last time I researched it though I was leaning more towards "it's not allowed", though.

If anyone can give me examples of other open-source Discord applications in a similar situation to ours, then I absolutely would resurrect the branch in a heartbeat and put it in the next SRB2Kart patch :)

Last edited:
Hi! Just saw this thread, thought I'd shed some light on it. I made a fully-working implementation of Discord RP for SRB2Kart right a couple months before its release. It showed you the person's character, the level they were on, the game type, even going as far as letting you join the person's server if they were on a public one.

I don't think it's as black & white as anyone here has said. The issue was actually just about how it was a huge grey area, so it's been left in a bit of a limbo. I couldn't figure out if we were allowed to push the Discord Application ID/Client ID to the codebase. Being able to freely provide it and let anyone who compiles use our Client ID would be most ideal, but I couldn't find anything on if that was allowed or not, and I couldn't get an answer from Discord Support on that front. I saw documents saying that you couldn't hand out your Client Secret, another ID that's meant to be handled extremely carefully; however, we weren't using that. There was no solid verdict on the Client ID.

If we weren't allowed to freely give the Client ID in the source code, I also couldn't figure out if not including it would violate the GPL license. Last time I researched it though I was leaning more towards "it's not allowed", though.

If anyone can give me examples of other open-source Discord applications in a similar situation to ours, then I absolutely would resurrect the branch in a heartbeat and put it in the next SRB2Kart patch :)
Minecraft Java uses Java and Open GL and it has the Discord SDK. So I guess it could work?
EDIT: It uses it barely though. It's just a verified game.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back