Techno Legacy is bad?

Personally, I'd rather see legacy content stay in the realm of addons, but I'm likely in the minority there.
I agree with you, I mean how many person who knows about SRB2 isn't aware of the tons of mods this game have?

While we're discussing ancient stages that are in the game for no obvious reason, I also don't care for Christmas Chime.
Xmas stages should either be only available around the season (like in December only) like in Christmas Nights into Dreams.

I would even suggest to replace TLZ by the Xmas variation of Greenflower or use a SRB2 Xmas level if you really want to show how the game used to be in the firsts versions.

Big yes to removing Techno Legacy. It's too different from the original to appeal to me on nostalgia, but not different enough from the modern version to give anyone a reason to play it. I'd rather go replay 1.09.4 to experience the old days, so that I have the authentic experience.

Honestly, even with my bias, I'd be against trying to get an indev ACZ2 in as an unlockable. Forest Fortress made sense because the map was already done (at least enough to work in the game) before being scrapped and was of pretty solid quality, whereas old ACZ2 never smoothed over a ton of its rough edges and honestly... doesn't have much going for it. It could definitely be polished into something decent, but that effort would probably be better spent elsewhere. (Also, the old minecart sections are a giant mazelike mess. I wouldn't wish the task of making them enjoyable on my worst enemy.)

Honestly, I wasn't crazy about 2.2's unlockables as a whole, since most of the new content was modified from old addons, but that's perfectly okay coming from a team that's probably more focused on the main campaign. In all honesty, all of the unlockable maps are just a nice bonus, and I can appreciate their existence even if I'm not itching to load them up. (Aside from Techno Legacy, anyway.)

I'm honestly not sure why final demo THZ2 of all stages was picked out to be a legacy stage, I remember it being pretty hated out of older stages.

Purely from a level design standpoint the only pre-2.2 (not including in-dev) I think would be worth including is 2.1 ACZ1. Even with 2.2 ACZ1 being built ontop of it, it's different enough to be interesting and still has some fairly decent level design.

I was pretty bummed upon unlocking it.

I'm also for a "Champion's Road" style finale for the last unlockable level too, tbh. Something that truly tests your knowledge of the game's mechanics and such. That's definitely a lot easier said than done, so I'm not expecting it anytime soon. Regardless though those are just my 2 cents!

The problem is that old Techno Hill just doesn't hold up well, and you have to put in a ton of effort to unlock this short, empty, easy, and generally archaic level. It doesn't really work as a form of preservation because stuff like the slime color had to be changed for consistency with the rest of 2.2, so it's something that would just be better done as a WAD.

Last edited:
Not top mention, everyone thinks it's an old released version that was modified for 2.2 and not an unreleased dev version for 2.1 that was scrapped in favor of the redesigned THZ2 2.1 got.

The game never tells us this. A dev did however. Might have been Mystic

The unreleased dev version for 2.1 rumours don't really have any basis as far as I recall. The change in goop color in THZ2 I distinctly remember being made for the Techno Legacy version, if anything.

I believe the basis comes from on the Discord, Dating back to March 26th to a couple of comments from Unknownlight and Tsukuyomi.

Unknownlight said:
Is Techno Legacy the version of THZ2 that would've been included in 2.1 if Nev3r hadn't remade the level? Is that where the green slime is from?
Tsukuyomi said:
Correct, Unknownlight.

I'd heard it from someone else before that, that's why I asked Mystic directly. I don't remember who originally said it.

Tsukuyomi is Mystic. He changed his Discord username to that after being banned from the SRB2 community (not sure if most people here know that or not).

Also, I don't see why technicalities about Techno Legacy should matter all that much. Either way, it's not much different from the zone's final demo version, and it's not a level worth having in modern SRB2 regardless.

Last edited:
Any nostalgic value it may have had originally is kinda diminished by the fact that the color of the liquid was changed to green for "playability" reasons. Its addition feels confused and devoid of purpose, and it has very little value as an unlockable.

So that means that yes, Mystic Confirmed that Techno Legacy was a THZ2 2.1 beta

It also feel like a knock off of both the old THZ2 and SRB2 the Past at the same time. Witch is ironic as a big inspiration was the Archives of Mystic Realm V4

The reason I originally asked was because I was baffled by the thought that someone would put active work into the old Techno Hill 2 during 2.2's development. The idea that it was actually unused work on 2.1 explained a lot. :P

But nope, apparently someone actively went back to edit Techno Hill 2 for the sake of adding a bonus level for 2.2. Huh.

It also feel like a knock off of both the old THZ2 and SRB2 the Past at the same time.
why exactly would it be a knock off of SRB2TP? forgive me if i misunderstand but it seems like youre implying others cant re-add historical versions of levels (even if edited) because your TP mod did it as well.

why exactly would it be a knock off of SRB2TP? forgive me if i misunderstand but it seems like youre implying others cant re-add historical versions of levels (even if edited) because your TP mod did it as well.
For starters, Techno Legacy as a port kinda pales in comparison to THZ2's port in Final Demo Zone and SRB2 The Past.

For starters, Techno Legacy as a port kinda pales in comparison to THZ2's port in Final Demo Zone and SRB2 The Past.
i mean, still doesnt seem like a knock off to me. bad choice? yeah, definetly. i mean, the game can handle final demo zone i guess, so theres no reason to not contact its creator and ask for permission to include it. but a knock off seems..... wrong. its just the devs deciding to do the porting themselves and doing a bad job at it.

The quality of the port doesn't feel like it's high enough. Without the context of being a 2.1 candidate, Techno Legacy feels like a bad or incomplete port of THZ2 from 2.0 using 2.2's textures and missing badniks, and lacking historical context. Like the info cards that both SRB2 The Past and Mystic Realm V4 (Archives unlockable) used.

Levels in SRB2 the Past are ported in a way so as to retain their identity and feel while also giving you historical context of the era they're from.

I'm not saying, nor implying people can't re-add historical versions of levels because of my mod at all. Demo 2 remastered exists as well as other ports of past levels and I've said nothing against them.

Since I played this on 2.0 back then it was something else but right now... Doesn't feel like it...how do I say this... Doesn't give that 2.2 quality that the normal levels have. I think I would prefer that if this was removed or at least having a remake to kinda match the 2.2 levels

Even as a long-time player of this game unlocking Techno Legacy was very underwhelming for me. Imagine how it would feel for a new player who has no reason to know or care what THZ2 used to look like, and they finally get their 100th Emblem and are rewarded with...just this incredibly barren and trivial stage. That's it. There's nothing left for you to get out of the game from there until you get all 200 emblems for the cheat menus.

Personally, I'd rather see legacy content stay in the realm of addons, but I'm likely in the minority there.

The reason why I think legacy content works is because you want to reward players who get a lot of emblems with something... but not necessarily with something good. You don't want to lock real quality content behind 100 emblems because very few people will get that far.

In that respect, Techno Legacy "works", but it feels too pointless. Stuff like Final Demo Zone and in-dev museums I feel strikes a good balance between being interesting but not particularly high-quality.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back