Bustable walls unreliable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice

Pretty chill guy
So in my level I have more than a few bustable walls, and they don't always work. Like, the player will spin right into them, and they won't do a thing, and then only on the second or third time ramming into them will they actually, y'know, bust. As far as I can tell, I set them up perfectly (sector tagged to an FOF with action 254 - FOF (special): Bustable Block), and indeed sometimes they work perfectly. And sometimes they don't.

This is frustrating, mainly because various parts of my level depend on the player's speed and angle coming into and out of a bustable wall, and it kinda messes things up when I can't predict the damn things. So my question(s):
Is there any way to fix this? Or are there any precautions I could take toward making failed busts less likely? Is there anything I could be doing wrong?

As far as I've heard, this is an inherent problem with object collisions in SRB2.

You say there are parts of your level that depend on the player's speed and angle coming out of a bustable wall. Perhaps you could try making the walls crumble on touch only, if that's an acceptable compromise. Hopefully, those types won't mess up the player's movement.

Nah, crumble on touch would ruin some important mechanics.

This kind of stinks if it's a problem with SRB2 and not my level. Are there any ways to minimize the chance of failed busts?

The issues tend to involve the corners, so if you make it so that the player is always busting the block from the center of a linedef instead of near the vertices, it should minimize the issue. Think about how you stop dead when walking diagonally in the block room in DSZ2 and that should give you an idea as to how the bustable block code is broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back