• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

About "fog"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice

Pretty chill guy
Is it at all possible to make the fog in SRB2 look less like a colormap and more like what it looks like in minecraft?

So less like this:
srb20003n.png

And more like this?:
HIjKl.jpg

So that it actually obscures stuff that's far away, but leaves colors and stuff in tact?

No, that's not possible. Yet.

Although, OpenGL has built-in fog. But that doesn't help...

also lol herobrine

Sure. Replace the COLORMAP lump with one that fades to a different color. Bear in mind that this'll mean dark sectors will instead be "foggier" sectors, though.

Sure. Replace the COLORMAP lump with one that fades to a different color. Bear in mind that this'll mean dark sectors will instead be "foggier" sectors, though.
Never thought of that before! SRB2 already has a "fog" system, which makes the colors go darker as they go farther from player's camera. To create white fog, you'd need to make it work "whitening" the colors.

Just take a standard colormap and stick the "near" color in the upper texture, and the "far" color in the lower texture. Control the "near" intensity using the last character on the upper texture, and the "far" intensity using the target sector's light level.

In the example you mentioned, "far" colors are tinted with a really bright aqua, so try sticking something like #BFFFFF in the lower texture. Since the colormap isn't supposed to affect anything "near", stick #BFFFFFA in the upper texture (with the A meaning minimum opacity). Then just control the intensity of the effect by changing the light level on the target sector, with "darkest" being most intense.

colormapfog.png

(It doesn't affect skies, though.)

Last edited:

Which is the most annoying thing about it. It looks terrible for everything else to be obscured, yet the sky is crystal clear. There have been quite a few times where I've tried to use it, but that fact has rendered it ridiculous looking.

Which is the most annoying thing about it. It looks terrible for everything else to be obscured, yet the sky is crystal clear. There have been quite a few times where I've tried to use it, but that fact has rendered it ridiculous looking.
Perhaps creating a custom sky that is the same color as the fog would fix this issue?

Wow Neo, that looks pretty good. I don't think I'm going to really use fog anymore, as it's kind of a hassle to get it EVERYWHERE, but I'll keep it in mind in case I want to use it in specific regions.

I don't think I'm going to really use fog anymore, as it's kind of a hassle to get it EVERYWHERE
Ice, Ice, Ice... I'm disappointed. You can colormap entire map with tag -1. And the fog is more noticeable with light levels lower than 256.

MAPTEST The colormap control sector is near the player start.

(But I noticed the game can sigsegv depending on where the camera is facing to... I don't know why. Here's the thing: EIP=00489f69, confirmed)

There's a sort of workround to this though - just have the Fog FOF(s) reach up only to the top of the non-sky parts of the thok barriers (rather than all the way to the ceiling), then the sky's color will appear to have been altered by the fog as long as you're not actually above the thok barrier's height.

EDIT: And as you can see here, this workaround does sort of work ...to an extent.
srb20175.png

Last edited:
Ice, Ice, Ice... I'm disappointed. You can colormap entire map with tag -1. And the fog is more noticeable with light levels lower than 256.

MAPTEST The colormap control sector is near the player start.

(But I noticed the game can sigsegv depending on where the camera is facing to... I don't know why. Here's the thing: EIP=00489f69, confirmed)

I tried that, ezer. That tag is wonderful for getting it in every sector, but for some reason, it didn't effect any sections underneath FOFs (may have something to do with shadowcasting perhaps?). I tried it with fog that made the level look black and white, and I wound up with colored spots underneath every FOF I had in the level. :/

It was still in every sector, I mean, ABOVE the FOFs was fine, but it just didn't show underneath them.

Use FOFs with no shadow, or... there is a flag to make FOF's not change colormaps below them. I know I've used it before, I can't remember what it is though.

Edit: Not Climbable flag

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back