Letting your PC run 24/7 vs. turning it off at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll Begin said:
It actually came out of the box with Windows ME. We upgraded to XP a few years after we got it.

Yes. I'm using a 9 year old computer. :P Just look at my specs (on my xFire profile)
Nine years old? Windows ME?! Holy crap, that explains almost everything. Although that's a really decent machine for its age, I have an almost 9 year old Win98SE PC in my room, and it can barely play the Mystic Realm at 320x240. XD
Flame said:
When I was using Ubuntu, I grew pretty fond of it's appearence and etc... The only problem I had is that it would start to slow down and freeze at times when I'm loading or working on something. Shortly after, it would create a weird clicking noise for unknown reasons and wouldn't go away till I restarted. But when I restarted, I had a chance of the GRUB loader not being able to boot Ubuntu and reading it as a "Read disk error".
Those are seriously strange problems, Flame, O_o you might want to post that on the Ubuntu forums and ask the users there what's going on. I bet most of your problems have something to do with Power Management.
Simsmagic said:
I just put it on hibernate so it uses less power and allows me to quickly resume what I'm doing.
I thought hibernate takes longer to resume, because it saves the RAM's contents to the hard disk. I think you meant Sleep (or Suspend to RAM) Mode. :P

On my XP,I usually avoid sleep mode.

Sometimes in Sleep mode,it freezes. O_O
I move the mouse like crazy but it doesn't want to wake up.

Autosaver said:
On my XP,I usually avoid sleep mode.

Sometimes in Sleep mode,it freezes. O_O
I move the mouse like crazy but it doesn't want to wake up.
On my computer, i just have to hit a key to wake it up.

Dr.Pepper said:
Those are seriously strange problems, Flame, O_o you might want to post that on the Ubuntu forums and ask the users there what's going on.

Or you could maybe try #ubuntu.

Dr.Pepper said:
I thought hibernate takes longer to resume, because it saves the RAM's contents to the hard disk. I think you meant Sleep (or Suspend to RAM) Mode. :P
No, I use Hibernate. That's what the computer calls it anyways, and it does cuts load time in half for me.

My laptop is in my bedroom, so I never leave it on when I go to sleep. I either set it to sleep mode or turn it completely off.

Server 24/7 on, always is. Backup active directory server, also always on. Desktop, I tell it to sleep after 12am if it's inactive to 1 hour...

Turn it off at night, very yes. While not a very loud computer, it is irritating if trying to sleep. Also rather power consuming; to fix a certain problem with my current favourite game (Fallout 3), I've forced the GTX 280 to run at the "Performance 3D" clocks, otherwise it underclocks and lags the game to hell. Leaving it on would draw unneccesary power (We have a "power meter", that we buy credit for periodically.)

Leaving it on would probably even shorten the life of the machine. I want to make the most of it.

Exceptions to switching off are torrents that are going fast (it's lovely!) and are near completion.

We used to leave our computer on at night. But now, we regularly turn it off, which I sometimes hate when me and my online friends have a "longest one online" contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back