• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Crumbling Canyon.wad - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NitemareDT

Like Jesus, only not dead.
Hey all, new to the forum, and map making for that matter, and decided to give this a shot. I have a very, very early version of a map that a started work on yesterday after feeling a sudden urge to actually learn how to create levels for the game.

EDIT: The map is neeaaaarlly finished...I'll add my custom music track and any more when it's done. It's really a 're play' map since there's around 5 different paths you can take and each one leads to the goal. Also, the map is definitely much better when played as Sonic. Tails and Knuckles tend to make it too easy, as they do to most maps, really.

2012-05-07_00001.jpg

2012-05-07_00006.jpg

2012-05-07_00008.jpg

There's a few secrets if you can be bothered to find them :3

Anyway, here's the download, just curious as to what people think and any help is appreciated. :D

Crumbling Canyon Zone v0.9:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lv5wgb
http://www.mediafire.com/?7bmnddd7c9ia3gi

Last edited:
You know it's too early to post a level in Editing if three screenshots cover the entire wad.
Progress on it more next time before making a new topic, at least a level that you can call a beta of it.
Now onto the level...
---
The finished parts of the levels look nice, excluding the halls of mirrors. (parts where there is no texture)
Enemy placement is nice, not an insane amount of them coming at you or just three blue crawlas.
I like what you did for the start of the higher path, but you might need to make it more noticeable.

Basically, it's a nice piece of a level, but all it is right now is a small building block of a much bigger level. I seem to not get this far in level making because it usually ends up looking like hallways instead of great plains, dry deserts, or maze-like forests. Try to make the branching parts not confusing, like make them all get to a checkpoint and then put a couple arrow-signs down from time to time.

And by the way, most new mappers usually end up posting a pretty bad level compared to this.
Nice first try.

I agree with Filio. If you just started building maps you show a lot of promise.

as a critique I should tell ya I personally have a bias against the ACZ theme. I never liked the textures to begin with and I find them overused (this is just my opinion and doesn't really reflect how I feel about someones construction) but I like where you're taking it. I noticed parts of your map are made of fine, small intricate features growing out of the ground while other parts have larger, less defined features. If I gave any advice on it, it is to find a better balance between your small and large features.

A small warning about the triggers you want to employ. For a fist level their cool to use for hiding secrets but they probably shouldn't be part of the main quest. Also, I don't know how much you know about FOFs but you might want to look into those and get some working in your map. Keep up the work. I look forward to this being finished.

I also like the music your writing for it.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking a look guys, I'll definitely look into FOF's and try to keep a more consistent look throughout the map.

Also, I suppose unless I was doing an emerald hunt theme, the triggers would probably frustrate the player a bit, so perhaps I could use them to open up a portal to a special stage or something, Mystic Realm style. :P

Uh, Sendspace Somehow Doesn't load for me, Can You Upload it somewhere else? Or put it in the attachments?

Sure, I'll upload the newer version, it's not got my song in it any more. I'll put that in when I've finished it. I've replaced it with another song that suits the theme :D

Check the first post for the new download.

This map is rubbish, I know this because i'm a pro map designer and from playing quite a few maps in my time.

(nofiocow received a warning for this post: Only give constructive criticism.)

Ever heared of sarcasm?

Well, sarcasm isn't that bad, but there are people stupid enough to have meant what he said legitimately. :P

Great job, pretending we would understand what you meant from your facial expression... OH WAIT.

Also, just keep on working on it, Nitemare. It's looking good.

Thanks for taking a look guys, I'll definitely look into FOF's and try to keep a more consistent look throughout the map.

Also, I suppose unless I was doing an emerald hunt theme, the triggers would probably frustrate the player a bit, so perhaps I could use them to open up a portal to a special stage or something, Mystic Realm style. :P

You'll never forget your first FOF:D
Here's some light reading to help ya out.

http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/FOF#Creating_FOFs
http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Water_Design

I would also like to personally extend my gratitude toward your open-mindedness, your willingness to explore new ideas and your maturity toward criticism. Coupled with a fantastic start to map building, I think you'll do great things here... You'll also be a worthy adversary come contest time. It's on!

For a first map, I should say it's full of creativity. It's not really long, but it has potential.
It has some difficult challenges, like the falls of rocks. You were good at adding things (crawlas, cactus, etc), but don't overuse the cactus : sectors can also be used as a décor. You can give them some shapes. However, the textures you chose for these sectors fit. And also, I found 4 speed shoes boxes... that's too much, you should reduce them, and place them where there aren't too much sector variations and/or badniks, so Sonic can benefit of the speed.
Ah, one last important frustating thing. When the player uses a spring, the player is in an instability position. Watch out by putting some badniks or hurting hurdles on the board of a sector when a spring is used to reach that sector, it's a demonic trap that you use there.
2vmy5q1.png
I'm also glad to see that you like adding custom music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back