• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Untitled work in progress mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trege

I'm actually being very experimental with Srb2 while posting this,
considering I'm unsure if it's a good idea or if it will even work with Doom Builder limitations and the video I have of it so far is very old and I haven't touched the map in a long time, this also won't work with netplay unless it's possible for the map to restart when anyone at all dies; It originally started out as a joke idea but I actually wanted to turn it less into a joke and more of a Tails Adventure style mod with secrets to find and such, and like Tails Adventure would have metroidvania style area changes but without the world map.

This isn't intended to be a port or anything like that, It's intended to be an original mod or map mainly in the style of Tails Adventure with the skin locked to Tails.

(This is a very old video and a lot of things like the beginning timer and all Cecho will be removed except the area names, Tails might not even start in the same area, and the scene change effect in the intro of the map will probably be removed, as it seems kind of unnecessary.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHl0TMrJMUc&list=UUAtNFXW7sGO1OGhxzhyQgvg&index=10&feature=plcp

My current main plans are. (Which may get bigger.)
1% 1 Build the huge main maps. (Probably the hardest part so far.)
0% 2 Add the story.
0% 3 Add secrets for the checklist.

I don't have that many ideas for the story yet as it's still a WIP and I'm still unsure if this is a good idea. I could make the story simple like Tails Adventure which seems to be the most logical choice for srb2.

(The ice area will probably be changed since going from a library to an ice area isn't natural, when you enter the library from a wasteland.)

Almost all custom music the video shows will be changed and the map shown will likely undergo mass changes and improvements.

While the level didn't look visually pleasing, I certainly liked how clever you were with the transition from a happy-go-lucky forest to a desolate wasteland. I say you should work a bit more on the visual aspect of the level; (add more scenery, some hills, areas to explore) I kind of want to see a depressing atmosphere for something like this. You should also take the time to alter the font/artwrork to fit the gloomy theme, in my opinion.

Also, kudos on the inspiration from Tails's Adventure; it's a nice touch.

Oh, hello Trege! I wasn't aware you were on the forums. Cool seeing you here!

But concerning your level there. It certainly looks to play in an entirely different way than classic SRB2. That can be a good thing, or a bad thing. I applaud you for your efforts to branch from the usual, but frankly, I'm not sure I like, or would enjoy playing what you have there.

Now, I'm not really sure what sort of introduction you had to it, if any, but from what I see, the level throws confusing and downright silly obstacles at you. The first thing I notice is the footsteps room. I'm sorry, but what? 10 seconds to find a foolishly disguised breakable exit from the room? Now, obviously it isn't hard, the room being so tiny, but it is still ridiculous. In fact, the challenge itself makes little sense. It's not even like you can make something come and kill you, you just have a space countdown that magically kills you when your ten seconds are up. After that, the level proceeds to be bookcases and hallways. You appear to have some items, like the crystal table, that act as keys or parts of the story, but the watcher, and seemingly the player, is given no hints.

On thinking, it looks to me like you're trying to make a Myst type gameplay. And honestly, that's not a good idea. Myst was an interesting game at all, but puzzles without any logical way to figure them out are uninteresting, unfun, and undoubtedly cheap. But then again, I may have judged wrong. Are puzzles even the focus of it at all? If not, then what is? Obviously not platforming. The only other thing I can think of is exploration. And honestly, your level, though immense and varying, looks pretty boring. As stated above, it seems to be mostly made up of empty rooms and hallways with un-immersive theming.

That doesn't mean you should quit though. Figure out what you're trying to do to the player, and plan the best course of action from there. That may mean scrapping what you have, or it may mean fixing it's problems, if you have the will to.

I am curious about the music though, the library one in particular. The ambience tune is giving me Megaman Legends vibes, am I right about it's origins? And I know I've heard the ice tune, but I can't place that either.

Edit: Well actually I am stupid and my username is not capitalized.
Never mind.

Last edited:
Essentially that's an old video of the map I have for proof of concept, in the new version Tails won't start in that area it's not going to be totally depressing or anything that's just one of the areas, the Dark Library and I will eventually add more areas, the timer will be removed and so will all of the cecho messages except the area names. Essentially it will throw you in a tiny room without the timer or cecho and all you have to do is break that wall, puzzles aren't the main focus (I probably should of explained that sorry.)

I may have minor ones like statue placements and such. (Plus the Dark Library probably won't appear until way later it was mainly me messing with teleporters for metroid style area changes, the whole areas going to be improved visually as well.

I think do away with using invisible teleports to direct the player and instead either let them explore or have actual walls prohibiting them from going places

I could give connected rooms a try instead of using teleporters I mainly use them for the sake of my sanity during map design, and not using them I'm worried it may be easy to get lost in the map, I could probably make some kind of hub world, I may roughly have as many areas that Tails Adventure had.

I could give connected rooms a try instead of using teleporters I mainly use them for the sake of my sanity during map design, and not using them I'm worried it may be easy to get lost in the map, I could probably make some kind of hub world, I may roughly have as many areas that Tails Adventure had.

I meant at the start where you're stopping the player from exploring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back