• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

ACZCMFZ Level pack:(Work in progress)Alpha is here!!

So what do you think of the Alpha?

• Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SWP (SRB2)

Edit: So I decided to update a few things on the front page for this level pack, first of a new link, and well that's about it. Not much work has been done on it recently, but I will try to release the betas and the final when I said I was going to do it.

Beta Demo: June 2007 (This month)
Beta Version: July 2007
Final Version: August 2007

The new link is here:

http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/download.php?file=f0d3a31a2d2fd962df39c461d4a98f02

Last edited by SWP (SRB2) on Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:36 pm; edited 4 times in total

ACZCMFZ level pack: Progress: Inspired by camoman. (Edit)

Altered Canyon Zone: 95%
Altered Canyon Boss: 95%
ACZ-CMFZ Path: 5%
Cold Metal Factory Zone: 5%

Note: 95% means that is done, or really close to done, that 5% is for possible edits or changes that may be made to the level before the final version is released. Also these are estimates to give you a general idea of how complete a zone is. (EDIT)

Edit: You have been waiting long enough, so here is the Alpha demo for my two level level pack, I didn't register at sendspace, not yet. So without further ado here is the download link for my first level, yes it has bugs.

Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/7ajow9

Topic change: Altered Canyon Zone (Single-Player) Preview.
Now called: ACZCMFZ Level pack:(Work in progress)Alpha is here!!

A bit of a preview for my first level, not including my tutorial level, I still need to do some work, and am awaiting answers to some of my questions before release, but here is a preview with some screenshots. It's long, designed to have 1 long act and then a second act with is basically the boss, with a path leading to the arena, so without further ado, here is some screenshots.

1:
srb20006.png

Trippy crinkled wall, really trippy.

2:
srb20007.png

Nothing says water like a blue cave, a mistake at first but decided to keep it, it's cool, and makes the room feel cool, and humid.

3:
srb20008.png

Midway terminal, about halfway through the level.

4:
srb20009.png

Roll through the illuminated climb to the top, Samus Aran style.

5:
srb20010.png

What perilous challenges await sonic past this here ridge, play the level to find out.

A few things, the level is almost done, so I figured before release to put things here as a preview, cause I always wanted to do so, also it's designed to be like your standard first level, lot's of rings, not so hard, linear, it's supposed to get noobs used to things that you might find in my future levels, it's my first map, so some first map stereotypes may apply. Also I may not completely debug it before release, so if you find a glitch, well too bad. That's all tell me what you think, and be ready for release soon. (Edit: Number repair.)

Ok, I can't believe it.

This level looks cramped. Space it up a bit.Also, way too many AFALLS. Does it have a thok barrier?

I am getting really annoyed by all this crap coming along here from the newbs. Why? It's never good. You can make great maps with only the preliminary understanding of what actually makes levels good, no FOFs required. I would love to tell you what good maps actually have, but there's quite a few stickys in the editing forum that do a better job than I ever could.

A few problems. More screens. And a lost connection.

Lost my connection, anyway to answer blue zero.
A: It is cramped, but in some instances it's meant to be.
B: The afalls are not a mistake, if they are there, then they are there for a reason.
C: No there is no thok barrier yet in the main level, in the second part of the level there is a thok barrier, but the second part of the level is just the path to the boss, and the boss, and it's not complete.

Oh, here are some screenshots, as the final version is almost done, it shows some new areas before the canyon in the fifth screenshot, as well as a few issues that is keeping it from it's final version, the main level map is done but has some glitches, act 2 which is pretty much the boss fight is far from finished, so here is 10 new screenshots. Sorry about leaving the console on.

1:
srb20011.png

The title card, this is clearly not greenflower zone 1, it looks like it could be a different version of it, but this is definatly not greenflower zone 1.

2:
srb20012.png

No thok barrier means a trippy trip though the wall.

3:
srb20013.png
[/i]

A cool cave, note the starpost.

4:
srb20014.png

No, I did not hit that starpost, it was already hit.

5:
srb20015.png

An invisible wall, yes this is intentional.

6:
srb20016.png

Those were all rings, silver rings.

7:
srb20017.png

How did I lose rings, the new ring draining floor, new from srb2tech, takes those rings from wherever they may be, and vaporizes them, yours free with the srb2 doom builder.

8:
srb20018.png

Am I in that wall?

9:
srb20019.png

The turret of doom, you can't see it here, but it just shot 200 something rings gone, designed to help people deal with anger.

10:
srb20020.png

Act 2, this is all there is right now, but hey at least it has a thok barrier.

There it is more screenshots, the final release will be out soon, once I debug it so you guys can play it, and without bugs, well at least some bugs will be fixed, don't want to be held reliable for false advertising by saying it will be bug-free. Anyway be on the watch for it.

Edit: Sorry about the double post, I deleted it, it was an accident, for all those who saw it.

Re: A few problems. More screens. And a lost connection.

SWP (SRB2) said:
A: It is cramped, but in some instances it's meant to be.
B: The afalls are not a mistake, if they are there, then they are there for a reason.
C: No there is no thok barrier yet in the main level, in the second part of the level there is a thok barrier, but the second part of the level is just the path to the boss, and the boss, and it's not complete.

A: No.
B: No.
C: No.

Alright, firstly, a level that is cramped is bad. A level that is meant to be cramped is even worse. Cramped levels are what break the flow of Sonic and it's something we get far too much of these days. So many first wads end up being cramped and many of the maps from people who just aren't good at wadding end up being cramped. Don't purposefully make your level cramped, it'll come out bad.

Second, the Afalls, while I normally wouldn't complain, come in far too much quantities. It doesn't necessarily look natural. In fact it looks very wrong. GFZROCK would be a better texture to use, or something similar.

Finally, before you get to releasing this, you should put a thok barrier around the entire level. It's essential almost and one of the foremost basics of level editing. If you don't include a thok barrier in the final release, you will see a lot of people complain. It's something everyone here is a bit picky with.

Also, if you type BIND [KEY] SCREENSHOT and replace the [KEY] part with a key on your keyboard into the console, you'll make that key take a screenshot everytime you'll press it. If you want to learn more, the SRB2 Wiki has more information, just search for Console and Autoexec.

Also, please view this as constructive critisism. I'm mearly just trying to help you improve (Though it might not sound like it a bit) and help you make better levels. I'm in no way attempting to flame you, sound rude or anything of that nature. Also, it might help you to view the level making tutorials here on the MB and at the Wiki. They will help a lot.

Its weird how people always make levels too small. I always end up making it too big, and I have to resize it to fit with the other parts of the level.

Oh come on people thork barriers are not hard to make!
All they are is a sector around the level with its ceiling height the same as the floor height, its as simple as that. I am getting annoyed also but I started here at this skill level too. It is hard to get started I will admit that but if you read it will turn out good. That's why I usually want input to improve my levels.

Or better yet, test your levels before you release them. If you don't or hardly like it yourself, how would someone else like it then?

The basics of level wads:
A Exit(If coop/non-circuit race wad)
Thok barrier
Know what stuff you need to deaf.
Be able to control textures and stuff

More advanced skills:
Be sure that you've gotta be in the level 20 seconds before you can finish
Be able to make obstacles and stuff that make the map fun
Know how to make things like water and FOFs.
Make a good item placement
Know what makes a good map

Proffesional skills:
Know nearly every trick with the map maker you use.
Make levels great to play with as any character.
Be able to make caves, realistic trees, and know exactly what the size of a map should be.
Etc.

shadowysonic said:
Oh come on people thork barriers are not hard to make!
All they are is a sector around the level with its ceiling height the same as the floor height, its as simple as that. I am getting annoyed also but I started here at this skill level too. It is hard to get started I will admit that but if you read it will turn out good. That's why I usually want input to improve my levels.

But it's not that easy, I go to install my thok barrier and it's unclosable. See topic in suggestions or help for further info about this map. It shows some of the problems with this maps repair and release.

If you know anything about wadauthour, you can do some finagling to close the sector, but I won't go into the oh-so confusing detail.

1. Make a large sector that is large enough to enclose your map and all the extremeties outside the map.
2. Copy all the linedefs outside the sector.
3. Paste them inside the sector.
4. Delete the originals.
5. Move all the objects. Remember you can drag a box around them and drag.

Voila! Now you just have to fix those textures.

Boinciel said:
1. Make a large sector that is large enough to enclose your map and all the extremeties outside the map.
2. Copy all the linedefs outside the sector.
3. Paste them inside the sector.
4. Delete the originals.
5. Move all the objects. Remember you can drag a box around them and drag.

Voila! Now you just have to fix those textures.

Mymap.jpg

What, what do you mean copy the outside sectors line defs and past them in the holes and delete the originals, can you rephase, I don't understand what you mean. I don't think this map is releaseable, i can't export it or fix the thok barrier, or edit the level header, maybe I can't be released, it seems to buggy, I'll keep trying though.

Well, the thing about thok barriers is that they mess up your textures. It might be best if you ditched this and made a new map from the ground up, inside a thok barrier.

BlueZero4 said:
Well, the thing about thok barriers is that they mess up your textures. It might be best if you ditched this and made a new map from the ground up, inside a thok barrier.

Not gonna happen, I put like 14 hours of effort into this and I'm willing to fix every texture, the main problem is when i make the thok barrier it says it's not closed in the places inside the map that used to be empty space I'll show you some examples.

Edit:
Mymaperrors.jpg

Code:
 __| |
 ____|

Code:
 A________D
  |__| |  |
  |____|  |
 B|_______|C
Draw a Sector around your level using Sectors mode. Start from point A, procede to B, then C, D, and come back around to A. None of the linedefs should overlap. Set floor and ceiling heights to 0. Texture apropriately.

Note: Make backups.

BlueZero4 said:
Code:
 __| |
 ____|

Code:
 A________D
  |__| |  |
  |____|  |
 B|_______|C
Draw a Sector around your level using Sectors mode. Start from point A, procede to B, then C, D, and come back around to A. None of the linedefs should overlap. Set floor and ceiling heights to 0. Texture apropriately.

Note: Make backups.

So I just go over all the points in the level, starting with the first ones, how do you draw a line def from an existing point, whenever I try to it always trys to select the line def, and wont let me draw any line defs even close to an existing one for some reason.

The point is not to draw any linedefs that connect to any others, but to draw a sector completely surrounding you level.

So I have to draw a sector around the level that surrounds it, and not just a big square around it, but something that takes the shape around the level, but a few spaces out, I'll try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back