Resource icon

[Level Pack] R. A. Extended v3.1 - "SUPER! GBJ! HOTFIX!" Edition

v.2f: (Quality of Life Edition)
-Changed the rolling start trigger to only disable after all players have crossed. (The start should now be consistent for everyone.)
-Lightened up the last tunnel for better item vision
-Made all signs bonk proof (The one with the ramp in front.)
-Removed balloons near the two ramps for less airtime punishment
-Fixed an issue where players were bonking invisible walls leaving the first quarterpipe.

Last edited:
Stardust Drive has now been moved to the 'R.A. Extended' pack along with a new map called "Monster Monarch Zone".

Stardust Classic will be moved to development Hell to turn into a longer sprint map as the original design was going for. I appreciate your patience!

The changes have generally been for the better, the long straightway having jumps helps break things up. Less track-wide boosters make shoes and other items more useful (and keeps Grow from being so dominating at the end).

My only complaint at this point is the sheer number of spinning spike balls; it's probably more of a personal thing but I've never been a fan of them (perhaps because I hit my head against Toxic Palace for hours as a new player for the Time Attack there). They force super wide corners to be safe, but there's enough leeway that you still feel obligated to play the odds lest you fall behind more daring racers. On a track called Stardust Speedway, having a large number of obstacles feels a little counter-intuitive. Maybe reduce the chain length so you can safely squeeze between the spikes and the walls if you're hugging it? That's just my personal opinion, though; I tend to be anti-obstacle.

Lots of big changes!
v.1.2:
Monster Monarch Zone
-Complete overhaul of Monster Monarch! There are WAY too many changes to mention, sadly.
-But there's a little bit of something for everyone in there.

Stardust Drive Zone
-Stardust has received another set of bugfixes across the board!
-Items and SPBs now work properly on the straightaway start
-there's a wall sector so people can't drive backwards and grief players
-Fixed any and all darkness to discourage item hiding
-Respawn-key'd over all checkpoints to make sure they work properly
-Cut the new quarter pipe exploit and all other skips (except one intended one)
-Combi now works properly!

Reposting review from Discord here, for posterity's sake!

[10:47 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: @「Fayt」 @maple I have collected my data
I used an old version of monster monarch for the fun of it, because I think it should be interesting to see which things have already been fixed, and which haven't -- although it doesn't take into account the possiblity of new issues!
[10:47 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Lots of text incoming
kart0180.gif

10:47 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: The very first thing I noticed about your map was this pfffft
[10:47 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: It's a small chance you'll get stuck in places like this, but
[10:47 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: there is a chance
[10:48 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: a stray orbi knocking you around, may hit you wherever
[10:48 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: It's why I hammer on closed circuit level design: if you can get there, should you be able to? And if you can, make sure you can get out
[10:48 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: I always try to poke around the scenery objects in a map, just to see how much they can screw you over
kart0181.gif

10:49 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: I felt the same way about things like this
[10:49 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: (gosh, why does srb2 save gifs and pngs out of numbered order? it makes it such a pain, hold on)
kart0048.png

10:49 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: I just have to say
[10:49 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: the inside of this looks so cool.
[10:50 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: You have fantastic usage of lights and darks, and I like the way the main road uses a checker pattern, while the tiles are diamond
[10:50 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: (hold on, battery running low)
[10:52 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: And your portrait idea! SO awesome. It's such a neat community sourced sort of thing. It's the kind of level that gives you some extra enjoyment just strolling through and seeing them all.
[10:53 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Your level has a lot of sharp turns, and you get a lot of mileage out of my crimson core arrows. This is great!
[10:53 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: So what completely baffles me is:
kart0183.gif

10:54 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: How those arrows wouldn't be enough to indicate a u-turn, but you haven't even tried them here
[10:54 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: u-turns are very hard to communicate, but important to. An arrow doesn't really do the job, unless you're going to make some special u-turn arrow
[10:54 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: I know Toxic Palace doesn't even try, in the vanilla rotation, and it's a great map
[10:55 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: but, these ARE still issues, and I think the ones in here are more exascerbated by all the turns in this section looking the same, making it very hard to grasp and memorize on even the third or fourth time through.
kart0050.png

[10:55 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Even very close to it, you still can't tell it's a u-turn. What you NEED here
[10:55 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: is to cut out that wall
[10:56 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: and replace it with a nice staircase banister.
[10:56 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: So that you can SEE the path on the other side, continuing.
kart0184.gif

[10:57 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: This entire spot in your level has most of the worst problems, so I'm going to spend a lot of time, here
[10:58 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: First of all, full on flat walls in your face are a huge no-no in kart. There's VERY few legitimate applications. But even moreso, ones with so little warning? Definitely not okay. It reminds me of that awful fence in Final Mall right after the escalator, which speeds you right into it. :ytho:
[10:58 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Additionally, that texture does not register as "fence" upon initially seeing it. On my first playthrough, I thought it was a ramp over something.
[10:59 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: And you have speedpads which point right into it which further makes it look like something of the sort, anything but a flat out stop to your momentum.
[10:59 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: The player, in a racing game, is drawn to the center of the track, and you've been teaching me up to this point that the red carpet is the track. Randomly throwing a wall in the middle of this feels completely wrong.
kart0058.png

11:00 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: And in fact, look how little of the road there actually is to drive on!
[11:00 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: The tile is offroad, that tiny stretch of carpet is the only safe place to drive.
kart0051.png

[11:01 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: The arrows pointing down into the fences are just another cue telling me to hit it
kart0053.png

[11:02 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: In the midst of all this confusion, you have treasure chests, too!
[11:02 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Which means that even if you don't smack into the walls, you have a high chance of smacking into these.
[11:03 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: This might all be better if you had some more time to react to it, and it was cued clearer, but this is all happening immediately after a right angle turn, and by the design of the course, while you have a speed boost.
[11:03 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: There's one more ugly sin there, too, and that's those item boxes
[11:03 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: I almost didn't even notice it, but why is there item boxes in only one single, easily missable gap, of this section?
[11:04 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Item boxes are VERY important, so they shouldn't be so easily missable like this. It's okay to have a few "bonus" item boxes around, but there is actually three sets like this in the level, which I'll show ya later
[11:04 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Items are really important, especially for players who have less of a mastery of the course -- they'll depend on them for invulnerability and rocket shoes.
kart0185.gif

[11:06 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Right after those gosh darn fences, you throw this at me, a very puzzling rectangle surrounded by the exact same border as the fences
[11:06 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: which might be a hazard?
[11:06 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: But nope, it's just a normal thing you're supposed to go through
[11:06 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: but it DOES send me the message "the water, this color, is safe"
kart0186.gif

11:07 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Which is then broken, albeit obviously, in the very next step
[11:08 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: (me slamming on that wall like an idiot is not a relevant part of the criticism, although I did wonder why that gap was there)
kart0054.png

[11:08 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Do you see what I see, here?
[11:08 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: It looks like it's safe to slam into that fence!
kart0190.gif

[11:09 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: It's not, though, that's just a perspective confusion
[11:09 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: (that water bounce was lucky)
[11:09 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: There's no reason to have this fence texture on the wall, when it's not even functioning as a fence, all it does is look like it's safe, from a certain angle
[11:10 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: You're already asking a lot of the player, to handle such a sharp blind turn, while boosting
[11:10 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Now! We're finally out of that section!
kart0191.gif

[11:11 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: :gasp4: Is this more missable item boxes??
[11:11 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: :gasp3: :gasp2: is this an item box vs booster tradeoff?
[11:12 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: That's bad design, we try to avoid it as much as possible. All it means is that 1st place gets, essentially, a sneaker, while lower places have to go for the item boxes, and miss out on the boost. Shortcuts and skill based speed pads should favor the people behind, not the ones in front.
kart0192.gif

[11:13 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: This section is very curious
[11:13 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Mostly because that fountain is... not a bad thing, in and of itself. But it can be smacked right into, way too easily
[11:13 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: A case in point:
kart0193.gif

[11:14 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: This can also happen with the red springs, at a low speed.
kart0055.png

[11:14 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Also, these item boxes are easily missable, again. In fact, there's so few, they WILL be missed, even by players who successfully aim for them, if players are too clustered.
kart0195.gif

[11:15 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: (example of the red spring)
[11:15 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: If there's one thing this section taught us, though, it's that fountains that look like that are something we should drive around, right? :FeelingIt:
kart0056.png

[11:16 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: This is the NEATEST shortcut.
[11:16 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: I really like it, because it's the risk v reward kind.
[11:16 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: You can use it to cut a portion of the track, at your discretion!
[11:16 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: And that's something I don't see very often!
kart0057.png

[11:17 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: It might seem unnecessary, but I would like some more directioning here. Merely because of the light and dark play, it makes it confusing to me, at a glance, what is a wall and what is a pit and what isn't.
[11:18 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Obviously it's a cinch when you grasp it, but it made me double take once or twice when I first played your map. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to go left, or go "betweeen" the things on the right, because the light spot looked passable. This is partly due to using the same texture on floor and walls, here.
[11:19 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: This pillar pissed me off when I first played, but
[11:19 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: it's actually fine, in and of itself.
[11:19 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: It just frustrated me because of how many other things i already had smacked into, at this point
[11:19 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: ALSO I forgot one thing
[11:19 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: from a previous section
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/570527387318747166/611036305882873867/kart0189.gif [I have run out of image uploads for this post :notlikethis:]
[11:20 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Speaking of pillars, in this section, I'm more focused on avoiding the treasure chests, than I am watching out for a red pillar which blends into a red background
[11:20 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: that pillar is also fine, but the color should be changed
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/570527387318747166/611036578307112980/kart0199.gif
[11:21 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: I'm pretty sure you've tweaked this in the newest version, because it's infamous
[11:21 PM] 「Fayt」: FINALLY
[11:21 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: I shouldn't need to mention this, lol
[11:21 PM] 「Fayt」: I've been waiting for this.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/570527387318747166/611036741683380245/kart0201.gif
11:21 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Is this boostless shortcut intentional? There's no reason to ever NOT take it
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/570527387318747166/611036925301751820/kart0200.gif
[11:22 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Now, if there's one thing I've learned!
[11:22 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: It's not to smack into that fountain! :cory:
[11:22 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: :oh:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/570527387318747166/611037054511480833/kart0202.gif
[11:23 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: But you need to go through it, anyways, hehe
[11:23 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: But wait, this isn't a relative teleport?
[11:23 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Isn't this the most trappable spot ever?
[11:23 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: This should DEFINITELLYYYYYYY be a relative teleport, where the section you enter the teleport is also the same section you exit it
[11:23 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: rather than being plopped into the center
[11:24 PM] 「Fayt」: (Flash tic linedef for a second on that one. It's why you're blinking)
[11:24 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: And with that, that concludes my criticisms! It's a very pretty map, and it's certainly good in a lot of ways, in THIS specific iteration, these issues matter of factually make me consider .rtv
[11:25 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: (also, I didn't notice that, I see. I guess that's a hackish way to do that, but that doesn't help for, say, a thrown spikeball, does it?)
[11:26 PM] 「Fayt」: (Not sure, actually.)
[11:26 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: It should still shove a flashing player back, I believe
[11:26 PM] Charyb, with a bug jar: Also, flashingtics doesn't stop you from being launched by a bomb, I believe.

Despite everything, it's a REALLY neat map, and it doesn't deserve to be dragged down by these sorts of things! :daw:
You did a lot of good work, and you excel visually. ^^

We've got an update, boys and girls! All your frustrations have been answered!

v.1.3:
Stardust Drive Zone
-Has been given a terribly ugly Encore palette for clarity's sake. I will give Stardust a full makeover in the future~
Monster Monarch Zone
-Increased the width of certain roads to feel less claustrophobic
-Increased visibility for all hairpins
-Fixed checkpoints to function properly
-Eliminated sudden walls that would frustrate beginners
-Included WAY more options to traverse!
-Removed certain deathpits
-Includes a new Record Attack ghost to show you the ropes on how to succeed
-Included more Kart Community portraits! (Feel free to message me if you'd like something added!)
-No, really. I fixed that pit everyone kept falling into.
-Has been given a terribly ugly Encore palette for clarity's sake. Monarch will get a proper Encore palette in the future~

v.1.4:
Stardust Drive
-Small quality of life fixes!
-Made a certain area around the spiked mace no longer bonkable
-Attempted to fix the janky spawn bug that occurs during the rolling start. Will be monitoring spawn locations closely.
-Added a few guide arrows for newcomers
-Removed physics from certain slopes so you won't die to SPB
-Removed problematic exploding toads (Sorry, Waifu.)
-Lower the ramps in the beginning of the map. (Go crazy, I guess.)
Monster Monarch
-You guys asked and I delivered.
-Nerfed the difficulty of the spiral spring and balloon cut.
-Sweetened the deal of the normal route since the balloon cut is now far easier.
-removed certain slope physics to better the flow
-Added Super's vertex fix to smooth out the spiral turn

[Monarch/Stardust will no longer be updated unless there are severe game-breaking issues. I wanna work on my new map.]
v.1.5:
Monster Monarch
-Reverted the balloon cut difficulty nerf
-HOWEVER, failing the cut is now significantly less punishing
-Adjusted the difficulty of the spiral cut
-Fixed waypoints
-Added a sound effect. :D

v.1.6:
Stardust Drive
-Changed the map ID to fix conflicts with BarkPark
-Fixed red spring+wall collision as best as I could.
-Also, spinning out before hitting the springs before the first quarterpipe no longer traps you in a corner
Monster Monarch
-Opened the spiral cut to everyone to see how broken it is. (Good luck!)
-Returned the red spring jump in the first outside area to original Monarch. (Not as strong, though.)

v.2.1:
Stardust Drive
-Shrink+Easy+1/1statblock is A-Okay! (But why, though?)
-Fixed the rolling start's jank (I hope)
-Removed invisible walls inside the moon room, but added more checkpoints to compensate
-Redid the entire set of death planes to prevent anyone from repeating a lap, ever again
-Reduced spinning mace frustration
-Reduced a couple of excessive item boxes in the beginning
-Tidied up textures and put in some much needed signage and guidance arrows
-Cleaned up the balloon hop and added a nice hill to jump off of in the second quarterpipe
-Removed certain... Favorite skips

Cosmic Eclipse
-Has received many quality of life adjustments!
-Minimap added
-MusicID updated (and loops)
-Everyone gets a fair start in the space minigame!
-Redid the checkpoint system
-Reduced the depth of all deathpits
-Removed a certain replay that was causing sigsevs for players
-Tamed a lot of pesky ice that added nothing but frustration
-Added safety rails and safer traverse options to a few turns where I demand that you prove your ability to sliptide
-Added several new cuts including one that sends you to space for failure
-Overall increased the speed of the level

Last edited:
v.2.3:
Stardust Drive Zone
Proper musical loop!
-Minor signage add-ons and fixes for beginners

Monster Monarch Zone
Proper musical loop!
-The friction-less tiles have been turned into weak-offroad and all cuts have been adjusted to reflect this.

Cosmic Eclipse Zone
-Minimap update!
-Reduced particle effects and half-light/lighting effects to improve performance!
-Faster Space section!
-Gravity has been split to remove off-course frustration!
-90% of short gaps have been removed with ice clean-up!
-New Spiral section
-Metal Sonic is a good boi again

Have fun again, nerds.

Last edited:
v.2.4:
Stardust Drive Zone
-Removed Balloon Cut to let Monster Monarch retain it's exclusive gimmick
-Removed pesky midair invisible walls on the quarteripe that were long forgotten

Monster Monarch Zone
-Further optimization of framerate
-Detailed the bottom floor with fog, a new portrait (Sorry, Tag.) and a few other things to make it spookier (They won't hurt you.)
-The friction-less tiles have come back (and I'm not sorry about it.)
-The bouncing spikes have been replaced with easier to dodge maces

Cosmic Eclipse Zone
Another newer layout change to make the course accessible to newcomers
Proper starting level redesign
Removed a lot of sneaker panels
New cuts added for catch up
SPB/Mine/Eggbox are all now consistent across the entire level (Mine/eggbox will still knock you up for longer)
Certain areas have now been adjusted to let you spend less time respawning
I'm TERRIBLY sorry for all the trouble I've put you all through with these redesigns.

[This update is NOT required to enjoy the levels to the fullest if you have the previous 2.4 update. This just fixes two jarring issues that were somehow present for the longest time.]

v.2.4.1:
-Fixed an exploitable bug in Stardust Drive where players would refuse to die when falling into part of a certain pit
-Mitigated an issue with an rare bug in Cosmic Eclipse where your momentum refused to carry after the space minigame (An actual fix will happen in the future)

attachment.php

New level - Super Rainbow Road
New level - Cosmic Eclipse Classic

Cosmic Eclipse Zone
-Removed the left path after the ice sheet to stop Regal Wall (And because it was FREEEEE)
-Changed textures for clarity
-Thinned rainbow strips
-Adjusted several powerful cuts
-Removed the initial item-set to tame RNG

Stardust Drive Zone
-Seaside-Proof patch-fix
-Straightaway aerial deathlane fix for those unlucky bouncers
-Eased the difficulty of the final turn by... Adding an arrow

Monster Monarch Zone
-Checkered off-road now changed to normal floor
-Minor Checkpoint change for SPB's sake
-Attempted to fix that one sloped section that growth users get caught in

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back