• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Week of SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like I won't be able to enter this time, 1 week is a bit too short for me to make an sp level. I'll enter next time if this keeps going.

Ice said:
It seems like I won't be able to enter this time, 1 week is a bit too short for me to make an sp level.

I fully agree. 1 week is barely enough for a fair match level. I don't know many people who are going to make good maps in just a week.

Dark Warrior said:
Ice said:
It seems like I won't be able to enter this time, 1 week is a bit too short for me to make an sp level.

I fully agree. 1 week is barely enough for a fair match level. I don't know many people who are going to make good maps in just a week.

Have you tried? You're still thinking in terms of having two months. Don't try and compress a two month level into a week. Make a week level. Look at the official SRB2 maps. No one would doubt that Meadow Match, Airborne Temple, and Sapphire Falls are fun levels. They also all could have been made in a week no problem.

Actually...
<09> <Mystic> I don't have a clue on Airborne Temple, Sapphire Falls was built in the school library in about an hour and a half, and Meadow Match supposedly took AJ around 3 hours to make

Whether or not someone has the time and drive to put together a Single Player level in a week is not an issue. If someone wants to try, they're fully welcome to, and they should be aware that it's much harder.

A Match level doesn't take much time at all to make. If a good simple Match level can be done in 3 hours, well, there's 165 more hours in a week to make a level better.

My biggest problem is that I can't get a level done in one weekend. I swear, I'd rather do something else than SRB2 mapping in my after-school free time.

ST218, your No Linedef Executors rule REALLY hurts. They don't take a lot of time to set up at all. The fake horizontally opening door takes only about 1 hour to make.

To add to what ST218 said, levels of certain gametypes take less time to make than others. A single player takes unquestionably the longest time to make because of all the gimmicks, multiple paths, and balancing of difficulty necessary to make a good SP level. Match, on the other hand, is easily the quickest to make, since there are fewer rules to it than any other map. As a matter of fact, my first level, Generic Hill Zone (a match map), was created in less than a week. Granted, it was very simplistic and only used water and special rings as gimmicks, but it turned out nicely, especially for a first map.

Another example of a level that took less than a week to make was Mercury Sea Zone, a CTF level in the OLDC. The first day, I devoted five full hours to building the architecture of the level... the second day, I devoted five full hours to perfecting all of the details about the map.... And then I finished it. Two days? 6.5/10? Not bad, if you ask me.

Sonicandtails218 said:
Dark Warrior said:
Ice said:

Have you tried? You're still thinking in terms of having two months. Don't try and compress a two month level into a week. Make a week level. Look at the official SRB2 maps. No one would doubt that Meadow Match, Airborne Temple, and Sapphire Falls are fun levels. They also all could have been made in a week no problem.

I never use the full two-months. Usually the last two weeks. To be fair, I didn't know about the submission time until Sunday, but regardless. A week is still rather small.

I do have an entry, but it'd be a miracle if I could get it in tomorrow night.

Alright, I think now's as good a time as any.

Same rules as before, with the following change:

You have two weeks for entry, instead of one.

There were complaints about having only one week. Personally, I think one week is fine, but now with testing we may see. If you like having two weeks for this, give me a two week worthy level.

Theme:
Dark Warrior said:
Space theme.

Simple enough. Involve space in some way, people.

Limitation:
MattW_CFI said:
Anyways... For the limitation. Use the Space Countdown sector type at least once.
(Space theme, space limitation. Naturally. :P)
Now, Warpshade interjected that this feels less like a limitation and more like an objective. So, I will exercise an edit:
The Space Countdown sector type must be used meaningfully. What's "meaningfully"? I'll leave that to the voters.

Two weeks means October 7th, everyone. Once the clock strikes midnight, Octorber 8th, Eastern, those submissions had better be in to nickgamer2001@yahoo.com

Sorry to bump this, but I haven't heard anything about this contest since the post above me was posted. Did you all decide to forget the contest or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back