• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Suggestions for the Doom Builder Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST218

Okay, so I want to update the thing with some changes, so I don't become like a441 and run around with an outdated tutorial (though in his defense, it's not like WA got new features to write about or anything).

The point is-what should I add? I wrote a tutorial for linedef executors ages ago back when Sepwich still hosted my webspace but never uploaded it-but it's a simple matter to send stuff into Mystic and have him update it. But there's other stuff that could be added too. Before the I wrote the tutorial, SRB2 DB was probably never even thought of (was Ooga even a member then? No idea) and there are a lot of new features with no documentation. To say nothing of 3D mode, the Devmode code, and other useful editing features which lack documentation.

The real point is this-tell me what you guys think I should have. I know a lot of stuff is either wiki'd or set for No Linedef Left Behind-is it worth putting into the tutorial? Should it be a beginner's reference book, or should I leave the more complex stuff to the rest of the Editing Section and the Wiki?

Here proceed some ramblings; feel free to heed/ignore them as desired.

I think it might be useful to have a more in-depth discussion of map structure (e.g. what a sector really is, what sidedefs are, etc.), but also to move some of these advanced things towards the end of each section. Maybe a more detailed description of FOFs would be beneficial, too: a441's guide does this well.

I'd suggest splitting the article up a little bit more, too, and possibly having thumbnails of screenshots in the main text with links to the full images, to avoid breaking the text flow so much.

Also, I'm currently working on rewriting DB, and many things will have changed. However, I imagine SRB2DB will be used for a long time yet, since the rewrite is still some way from being usable, and won't have a 3D mode for even longer. It's maybe something to bear in mind, though.

Oh, and for the record, I've been a member of the boards since Feb 2004, but I've been watching from a distance for much longer than that. :)

Well, I learned how to map through your tutorial, and I was a bit confused about FOFs.

Also, tell 'em about lower unpegged. I really didn't know about that 'till I looked at the official levels.

BlueZero4 said:
Well, I learned how to map through your tutorial, and I was a bit confused about FOFs.

Also, tell 'em about lower unpegged. I really didn't know about that 'till I looked at the official levels.

I remembered something like it existed from when I used Wadauthor, altrough I didn't remembered what it was exactly, so I had to check a441's Wadauthor tutorial.

Oogaland said:
I think it might be useful to have a more in-depth discussion of map structure (e.g. what a sector really is, what sidedefs are, etc.), but also to move some of these advanced things towards the end of each section. Maybe a more detailed description of FOFs would be beneficial, too: a441's guide does this well.

Get the hell out of my mind, Oogaland. This is exactly what one of the guides needs. You need to explain the whole level system before actually making having them make levels.

Also, make them start out by making a Thok Barrier first instead of just jumping into making a little level.

Also teach them how to make F_SKY1 for all sides of the level and how to use it. Please put in there how to make teleporters as well. Maybe scripts as well since I usually have to go to the SRB2 Wiki each time for examples and info about the level header.

I would say make it more, you know, readable, as in space it out. Blocks of text hurt my flat screen monitor.

FOF explanation, okay. Lower/Upper unpegged, okay. Scripting....I know nothing about. As for the map system, when I first made the tutorial, I was trying to emulate a441's somewhat, so anyone new to DB but familiar with that would start off on familiar ground. At this point, with it being years later, that's pointless, since more people use DB now and WA is more or less a relic used by a minority of people. That's something I will fix.

Formatting wise, well, I've never been good at HTML, but thumbnails are definitely a great idea, and I know I can be wordy sometimes. Plus, back then, my computer sucked (I was on my 233 MHz Pentium II) and I had no programs to convert SRB2 screenshots to a usable format. That problem does not exist now, so I'll be adding in ingame screens as well.

You know, you can eliminate 9/10s (random number) of those issues if you port it to the Wiki. Not only that, but it would allow for the mass public to "update" it, add what needs to be added, etc. Not to mention that Wiki markup is easier than HTML, and this will ensure that the page stays clean and updated. Far better option, I think, than a limited-access HTML page.

The problem with that is that the tutorial does not become a static reference if it's on the Wiki...anyone who looks at it could be looking at a new version the next day...which is a bad thing.

Sonicandtails218 said:
The problem with that is that the tutorial does not become a static reference if it's on the Wiki...anyone who looks at it could be looking at a new version the next day...which is a bad thing.

You can always protect it from being edited. Get Spazzo to do that for you.

I can do that too, you know. :\

But aside from that, that's actually the benefit of the Wiki. It's not static, and opens up a whole new world of possibilities. Ah well, if you really want it to remain static, port it to the Wiki, and I'll set a protection up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back