January/February 2012 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Welcome to the January/February 2012 SRB2 Official Level Design Contest voting topic! In this contest we have two single player, four match, and two capture the flag entries.

To vote, play a few games of each stage in a division in the intended gametype for judging, and give each map in the division a vote from 0 to 10, no decimals and with 5 as average. You can not vote on your own map, but if you vote on the rest of the stages in a division the lowest score on your map for that division will be dropped. For votes to count, the voter must vote on every map in a division (excluding their own entry if they have one). Votes where the voter obviously did not play the level in its intended gametype, or where the voter did not play the multiplayer maps with other real players will be discarded. Please be as unbiased as possible for the author or the look of the map. It's all about how good the map plays, nothing else. For reference, the scale is as follows:

10 - Epic
9 - Awesome
8 - Great
7 - Good
6 - Decent
5 - Average
4 - Mediocre
3 - Bad
2 - Awful
1 - Horrendous
0 - Unplayable

Although it's not required for votes to count, it's very helpful to make comments about what you liked and didn't like about the map, so the author can improve his skill for future attempts. If your votes are dramatically different from the rest and you don't describe why, you may be asked to justify your reasoning.

Judging will end March 15, 2012 at 7 PM local time in the eastern time zone of the United States. Like the entry deadline, this counts the United States's daylight savings time between March and November. Votes submitted after this time by the forum timestamp will NOT be counted in the average, so if you want to be counted, don't vote at the last minute. After the deadline, the scores will be then averaged, and the person with the highest score in each division is the winner.

The entries are as follows:

Single Player:
Viridity Woodland Zone, Act 1 by Metal Fighter (Unintentionally included in initial package; not intended to be an entry)
Sapphire Coast Zone, Act 2 by Blade
Eggmansion Zone, Act 2 by KO.T.E

Match:
Pacman by EternallyAries Red X
Oiler Outpost Zone by Katmint
Generic Field Zone by csmgiw
Techno Rush Zone by KO.T.E

Capture the Flag:
Jungle Ruins by Kuba11
Rush Flower CTF by Spherallic & KO.T.E

Attachments

• mf_contest-janfeb12.zip
    482.3 KB · Views: 1,210
  • scr_contest-janfeb12.zip
    22 MB · Views: 1,439
Last edited:
Whoa, low turnout this time. Probably should've finished the Match map I was working on... Oh well. Good luck to everybody!

Reviews coming later...

Single Player

Viridity Woodland by MetalFighter
- Nothing here, please move on.

Sapphire Coast Zone, Act 2 by Blade - 7/10
- Visuals are nice
- I liked the custom enemies, although the Buzzbomber should have been a bit less numerous and/or easier to see in darker areas.
- Kind of short though (Although this is intentional)

Eggmansion Zone, Act 2 by KO.T.E - 8/10
- Visuals and music complement the overall theme of the map.
- Mirror gimmick is pretty cool, although it could have been used more.
- Pinkie is a bit cheap at times, and the ghosts are even moreso.
- The secret's pretty good, but easy to memorize

MATCH

Pacman by EternallyAries Red X - 1/10
pffffffftahahahahahahahahahahaha

will get the others in a while

CTF

Jungle Ruins by Kuba11 - 5/10
- looks really nice but that's all overshadowed with the fact that there's too much goddamn clutter in the map

Rush Flower CTF by Spherallic & KO.T.E - 7/10
- Visuals are a nice contrast from the previous map
- lolredmonitorsinbluebase

Last edited:
Single Player Votes <('-'<)

Here come the single player votes, as usual:

Viridity Woodland Zone, Act 1 by Metal Fighter: 6/10 Removed

The level looks and plays nicely. I like the detail you put into the colormaps and the overall environment. Unfortunately, there really isn't anything else much to say about it. It can easily be thokked through and finished if you don't bother exploring, which I fortunately did.

Sapphire Coast Zone, Act 2 by Blade: 8/10

Yup, another Blade map. As usual, you did a really nice job with this one. The custom badniks were used well, the level was gorgeous, and it all goes by smoothly. Unfortunately, the level suddenly ends. Even after trying all of the split paths, the level felt short to me. It was very fun while it lasted, though, and I just wished it would have lasted longer.

Eggmansion Zone, Act 2 by KO.T.E: 8/10

Okay, so THAT was pretty good...

In all seriousness though, I really liked this one. The level has a lot of really cool ideas put into it, and getting past each puzzle was loads of fun. The ghosts were just a tad annoying, though, and I could barely even hear the music. The portraits were a very nice touch, and added some variety into the level's visuals, though in some parts the textures felt too basic. It was fun playing this, and I think you did a pretty awesome job. You really improved since your previous maps.

The quality of the Single Player maps really makes up for the amount of levels we had this contest. It was fun playing each map. Good job everyone.

Last edited:
SINGLE PLAYER

Sapphire Coast Zone - 8/10
Custom enemies, varied gimmicks and looks great to boot. Knuckles has a hard time using the mushrooms without assistance, though. It's also somewhat unmemorable, the only image that really springs to mind after playing it twice is the lighthouse.

Egg Mansion Zone - 9/10
well that was certainly a thing
You nailed just about every aspect of the level. I have no real criticisms for this level, other than the music was a too quiet and I wish there was less emphasis on ponies. It's a little off putting to be going through this creepy mansion and then suddenly look a pony.

MATCH
Pacman - 3/10
Chaotic gameplay mixed with terrible visuals and awkward design.

Oiler Outpost Zone - 1/10
Visuals are uninteresting as shit, oil is actually death water and cramped hallways plus terrible item placement.

Generic Field Zone - 2/10
Huge, open, and flat with terrible ring placement and awkward vertical movement make this map hard to play.

Techno Rush Zone - 5/10
While it plays decently well, it status as a rush job is clearly evident considering the bland visuals and uninteresting set pieces. Too bad this was only a rush job, I could see it doing well if it had more time spent on it.

Last edited:
Contest already? That was quick. Does not seem like many entries this time. Hopefully there is a better turnout next time.

Single Player

Viridity Woodland Zone Act 1 by Metal Fighter N/A

It is not a bad level, but there is too much flat areas throughout the level. Cutting down the long, flat hallways that are in some areas could help, or even changing them a bit into something a bit more than what they are now could help as well. The huge open areas could use some work. Try to add different things, possibly different paths and even a bit more scenery. Overall it is a solid level, but it need some more work.

Oops... Still consider the critique for next time nevertheless.

Sapphire Coast Zone, Act 2 by Blade 9/10

There not really much else to say except this is very well built. I really like how there are more areas that take place inside caves more than the first act, it looks really nice. I replayed the 1st act of Sapphire Coast and noticed how much of an improvement this was from it and it was definitely a good improvement. The placement of all of the shields and 1-ups were actually pretty creative, it was surprising to see some areas that were possible to reach. The custom badniks still add to the level a great deal.

The mushrooms, however could use some work. It became annoying when you keep on bouncing off the sides of the mushrooms. Even though the level was an improvement from the previous act it felt like it could have had a bit more areas to further itself even more from Sapphire Coast Act 1, I remember the first act had breakable walls and they seem like they would fit well in this act since it dealt more with being in cave areas than the previous act.

Eggmansion Zone, Act 2 by KO.T.E 7/10

The atmosphere and aesthetics in this level are absolutely impressive. You really got the spooky, supernatural theme down in this level, but the gameplay is felt like more could have been done with it.

The invisible floors and platforms, the fake walls, and mirrored rooms or objects were creative. The Sandopolis ghost were a nice touch, I really like how they reappear as well since that added to the feel of the level. There were areas that they were annoying, one of the most notable examples was the room you had swing on the CEZ chain.

I really did enjoy this level, but it felt like a bit more could have been done in certain parts. Some ideas like that one button that makes the invisible platform appear in the top path in the beginning of the level could have been expanded upon to make a real interesting section of its own. The secret boss would of been okay if it was not for the Rebound Rings, they take away from the fight. A grenade type projectile or an original projectile would have fit better.

Last edited:
Lol Pacman zone. I know its a fail map. =P

Anyway I did have a single player map that did look awesome in my pic I shown back in a feel days ago. But did not finish it

So I made this map as a place holder for me. After all its better having 4 then 3. ^_~

After all its better having 4 then 3. ^_~

Just so no one else meaner than I chews you out on this one:

It's not actually a good thing to have 4 crap maps instead of 3 crap maps. But we'll forgive you this time because pac-man somehow managed to be entertaining. ;)

Single Player

Viridity Woodland Zone 1 by Metal Fighter - 7/10

Time: 1:05:85

The level's not bad, but it's flat and the long hallways are in need of help. You can change them into something useful and the open areas could use some work. If you add more paths, then it'll be interesting. Good level, but it needs a slight fix-up.

Sapphire Coast Zone 2 by Blade - 9/10

Time: 1:28.00

This... I... loved it. The visuals are good and the texture is beautiful. When I use Knuckles, he'll have a hard time with the mushrooms. I'll finish this review later.

Eggmansion Zone 2 by KO.T.E - 10/10
I'll get around to reviewing this soon.

Match

Pacman by EternallyAries Red X - 5/10

EternallyAries, I have to say, you did a pretty good job on making the level exactly like the arcade game some people love, but the main complaint is that the area's too wide. Players with rail rings are going to have fun here because straight hallways calls for easy pickings. Also, the texture you used kinda makes the level confusing.

Oiler Outpost by Katmint - 2/10

I was expecting this level to be an outpost, but I see nothing but cramped walls and oil pits at every end with no way to get out. This level does make good use for Bounce Rings. However, about the oil pits, once you jump in, there's no way out. The oil is supposed to act like quicksand.

Generic Field Zone by csmigw - 3/10

When I start the level, one of the players get crushed and must therefore have to respawn. For the level, it is too wide open with nothing but rings, springs, and waterfalls. Next time, please be sure to add scenery to your levels.
You can't have a video game without scenery.

Techno Rush by KO.T.E. - 8/10

This is a good level even though it was made in 2 hours. Bounce Rings would make a good use here, but since there wasn't a panel for it, I couldn't use it.

CTF

Jungle Ruins Zone by Kuba11 - 5/10

It's good, but the level's cluttered. Also, all of the monitors in this level are just rings. (No shields or anything else. :P) Also, is there any particular reason why you used rain in this level? Lava and water don't mix.

Rush Flower CTF by Spherallic & KO.T.E. - 7/10

The visuals in this map are very good, but one complaint is that you put the bases too high up. Players with rail rings are able to wait at the base and strike the player with the flag.

Well, here I go.

Single-Player
Map: Viridity Woodland Zone, Act 1
Author: Metal Fighter
Score: 5/10
Comment: This felt like a fairly decent level, but it felt short in my opinion.

-----
Map: Sapphire Coast Zone, Act 2
Author: Blade
Score: 8/10
Comment: Well what do you know... a Blade map, and those usually come out good. I liked the custom badniks here and there, but you might want to make the Buzz Bombers a bit less annoying especially when you're trying to bounce on the mushrooms.

Speaking of which... the mushrooms are buggy as for no reason, sometimes you stop bouncing on them, which happens near the tips of them.
-----
Map: Eggmansion Zone, Act 2
Author: KO.T.E
Score: 10/10
Comment: Now here's a map that pretty much nailed it, although the music is slightly quiet and such, which isn't that much of a big deal to me, really there are some parts that I enjoyed here and there.

Before I get to that... can I ask why there's a checkpoint about 5 seconds into the level at the start? Now with that out of the way...

The mirror gimmick could of been used more but if there's one thing that I have to say... that this map did actually scare me at one point only because I wasn't expecting it to happen. There's also that one place, which... is the white room? It goes dark as you get far through the room and I didn't want to find out what happens there because after all... "I see you..." just before you enter it.

When I went to the room which I think is behind the bookshelf, I didn't want to take the stairs that go into the basement at first, but it had to be done, so... yea.

Zombie Pie... as if the insane part of her wasn't enough. "I see you..." then about 10 seconds later... well, you'll see... and no, this isn't the reason I am giving it a 10, it was going to be a 9 but because I enjoyed this level and replayed it just to see what else it holds, I bumped it up to a 10.
====================
Single-Player was good this time, I might do multiplayer, but with my parents torrneting... yea, lag.

Last edited:
Well I was certainly surprised when I found my unfinished SP level in the contest. It was definitely a mistake and I probably should have advised earlier to remove it since it was terribly unfinished(still is too). Well I'll just have to sit here and watch how this older copy does, but from looks of things I guess I already know what the outcome will be.

EDIT: Just remembered that I am required to vote. Guess I'll be doing that later on.

Viridity Woodland Zone Act 1 by Me:
I really have nothing to say other than the level itself is unfinished.

Sapphire Coast Zone Act 2 by Blade:
Act 2? I think I forgot to play Act 1. Either the way, the map was awesome in terms of visuals. I really liked the vines and the custom flowers, although there were several times when I thought a yellow flower was a spring. Guess I need glasses. The custom enemies were pretty good too. I really loved how that enemy with the spring on its back could be used to access new paths. That bee was pretty bothersome at times and I'd find myself falling or getting hit by their lasers. In terms of level design I think the level was pretty great. I do think it could have been slightly bigger though. I kind of thought it was just a bit too small. Overall I enjoyed going through your level and in my eyes it was certainly above average.
Rating: 8/10

Eggmansion Zone Act 2 by KO.T.E:
What is this terrifying piece of art, and I mean that in a good way of course. Your map will forever haunt me..especially that one pony that I'd find in random spots in the mansion. Creepy indeed. I loved the design in your map. This would definitely be something that I'd see in a haunted mansion. The secret passages, the paintings(loved that Eggman one), and those flying ghosts...oh yea those ghosts. I found them to be quite annoying. I'd be walking around and then suddenly have one smack me right in the face. I do love the nostalgia I got from seeing them since they reminded me of the ghosts from Sandopolis Zone. The music was a tad bit too soft, but it did contribute to the feeling I got as I was playing the map. Everything in the map seemed to be executed correctly. Map size was just right in my eyes and the map itself played handsomely. Your map was a pure masterpiece and it really gave me a sense of fear, nostalgia, and just plain old fun. Just please do something about those annoying ghosts. Those things are pretty evil. Also, you should have waited to enter this map around Halloween, it would have had a greater effect in terms of fear. I know it would have on me.
Rating: 9/10

Last edited:
Single Player

Not voting. I can't decide on a score to give EMZ2 and I've been too busy to write reviews.

Match

Pacman by EternallyAries Red X - 1/10

This is way too flat, it's ugly, it's impossible to tell where you are, and random monitors do not belong in match. The constant teleporter monitors going off was very annoying.

Oiler Outpost Zone by Katmint N/A

Mine. Hope you like suffocating in oil.

Generic Field Zone by csmgiw - 2/10

People keep dying on spawn here, not sure what's causing that as it's yet to happen to me. You might want to check over the player starts. :P

Anyway, the map itself seems to be mostly copypasted circles with different heights. The level is just too empty and bumpy, it's hard to get around due to the excessive bumpiness and the highest ledge with the rail ring is a bit too easy to defend.

Techno Rush Zone by KO.T.E - 5/10

Pending

CTF

Jungle Ruins by Kuba11 - 2/10

This level is way too complex for its own good. The excessive visuals cause a noticeable frame lag and the colormap needs to go because it makes it harder to tell which team someone is on. The layout is also somewhat cramped, which isn't helped by the scenery abuse. Oh, and the bases are extremely awkward. They are super cramped, and it's really hard to hit anyone in the bases with anything other than a bomb ring.

Rush Flower CTF by Spherallic & KO.T.E - 4/10

The square-ness of this map gives it a unique charm which I rather liked. The layout is slightly confusing at first but it's fairly easy to learn. I think the main problem causing the confusion is that it's really hard to tell which side of the map you are on without using the team-colored rings.

Unfortunately, there is a major flaw in this map: there are red team monitors in the blue team base, which means that the blue team almost always loses due to it being much harder for them to drive out campers. It really disrupts the team balance, which is a very bad thing in CTF.

Last edited:
Well, if you want I can remove it, but it appears to be doing okay. There was a slight mistake because I don't exactly read anything beyond the first post. For future reference for everyone, if for some reason you want to cancel an entry, please change your OP to reflect this and remove the attachment so it's clear.

I would be very thankful if you did actually. I'll make sure to pay closer attention so things like this won't happen again in the future.

---------------------
SINGLE PLAYER:
---------------------

Sapphire Coast Zone, Act 2, by Blade - 9/10
This level contains all the things we've come to expect from Blade...nice path structure, plenty of secrets, unique enemies, and absolutely stunning visuals. I loved all the creative twists in this level, like the lighthouse. The only thing I can possibly complain about is one section near the beginning where the way forward leads to a dead end, and the real path branches off a ledge to the side; that was confusing. But I can absolutely forgive that in light of everything else this level has to offer. I'm looking forward to whatever you come up with next!

Eggmansion Zone, Act 2, by KO.T.E
- 10/10
Sorry, Blade...as much as I loved your level, it's your brother's time to shine. This level is absolutely amazing. Great visuals and gimmicks, traps that surprise you without being cheap, and a very polished, professional atmosphere. There are only two possible faults I can find with it. First, you made a goof that, if not a "rookie" mistake, is certainly an intermediate-level one: making sure the paths are equally balanced for each character. The spike crushers are very, very hard to get past as Knuckles. Second, I found a trail of rings on one staircase that don't float. But the rest of the stage is so epic that I'm still prepared to award it full points. I don't do this too commonly, so be proud. You earned it.

----------
MATCH:
----------

Pacman Zone Zone, by EternallyAries Red X - 1/10
You must have been doped up on power pellets while designing this one. This might be a rush job and a straight port, but neither of those let you off the hook for bad design. Even a rush job should be well-constructed...KO.T.E released two rush jobs in this contest alone, and both of them are decent. And, as the SRB2 Wiki makes very clear, when it comes to direct ports from other games, the first thing you should do is make absolutely sure that it translates cleanly into SRB2. Pacman does not. The level cannot possibly function well if you don't have an overhead view. This level came out as nothing more than a symmetrical labyrinth of straight tunnels with no discernible landmarks.

Even leaving all of that aside, you made some truly atrocious design choices. At this point, it should be very clear to all level designers that Random Monitors should never be used except in Circuit (which means they no longer have any business appearing in the OLDC). To make matters worse, every single weapon panel has two corresponding weapon pickups right next to it. Why the hell would you do that? Weapon pickups should typically be far away from the panel, so that people don't get overloaded with ammo. And what was with all the scatter rings? Scatter is a very powerful weapon on this map, and it should be hard to find. You put it everywhere. And nice job with the level header too--"Pacman Zone Zone"? I think you need to check out Level Design 101 on the wiki.

Oiler Outpost Zone, by Katmint - 3/10
The name is pretty cool, but the level failed to live up to my associated expectations. It's just a bland, nonsensical mesh of ERZ and ACZ, with a few uninteresting oil spills used for inconsistent purposes. And dear lord, why did you repeat that one ERZ texture over and over and over again? It's meant to be used for small steps or grooves along the floor and ceiling; it's certainly not supposed to be plastered on every wall.

Generic Field Zone, by csmgiw
- 5/10
Well, it's ugly as sin...but the layout isn't terrible. It's nice and open, which encourages lots of conflict, and there are plenty of rings to support really big netgames. All in all, a very average piece of work.

Techno Rush Zone, by KO.T.E
- 6/10
This, kiddies, is how to do a proper rush job. Bland visuals are okay, but even a rush job shouldn't compromise on competent layout. This level certainly didn't. As I've made clear in previous reviews, I don't at all care for square structure when we're dealing with grass and rocks, and in my own personal level design I can drag things around to randomize the angles in a couple minutes, so it should have been possible to fix that even in a rush job. But this is just my personal opinion, and in any case it doesn't really change how well the level plays. All in all, this is a solid piece of work.

--------------------------
CAPTURE THE FLAG:
--------------------------

Jungle Ruins Zone, by Kuba11 - 7/10
Like the typical Kuba11 creation, it's chock-full of sector detail, and in this case it's done tastefully. My only real complaint is that if the flag carrier fails to make that jump into the base, it's really annoying to scramble around for the nearest spring that takes you back up.

Rush Flower CTF, by Spherallic & KO.T.E - 7/10
Another solid rush map. But I must say that the bases are a little hard to find.

Last edited:
...And the reviews!

Single Player:

Viridity Woodland Act 1, by Metal Fighter - 6/10

Meh. Visuals were very nice but the gameplay was boring. The level itself is very bland and it is a bit short IMO.

Eggmansion Zone Act 2, by KO.T.E - OVER 9000!!!! 10/10

I so wanted to give this an Over 9000 rating, but I couldn't. This is the definition of a perfect map - the gimmicks were well executed, the visuals were epic, the music was good... The only thing that bothered me any at all about this map was the zombified Pinkie Pie you managed to shoehorn into this map.

Sapphire Coast Act 2, by Blade - 8/10

Typical Blade map in typical Blade fashion - awesome visuals, good music choice, plenty of unique enemies to go around... Awesome level overall! However, that part where the path ahead dead ends and the main path goes off to the left kinda stumped me for a bit.

Last edited:
I would be very thankful if you did actually. I'll make sure to pay closer attention so things like this won't happen again in the future.
Done. If everyone could go along with that, that would be appreciated. Pretend you didn't even see it.

Last edited:
Looks like a really really tiny OLDC!

I'll give the maps a whirl, and return with my scores and comments. By looking at the names of the entrants, something tells me it's gonna be a fun one!

EDIT: Holy crud, the Coop division is rocked this month.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back