• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

KIMOKAWAIII Is My Origin, KIMOKAWAIII Always Waits And Is Intensely Interested

TehRealSalt

(σᴥσ)
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
IT'S RELEASED: https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=45277

We arrive in another dimension, to another time and place...

SRB2 is thriving, and mass amounts of creators are making metric tons of unique maps. However, Lua gets underused in spite of this. A new community project is formed about creating bosses, to revive interest in this dying language...

Enter KIMOIII.

Our first event, SAMURAI, came out AWESOME, and really helped reignite interest in Lua. NASHII, or SAMURAI 2, was even bigger than the first! Now welcome the latest entry, SAMURAI 3.

- WHAT'S KIMOIII? -

SRB2 Affixes Many Utopians to Reequip Amazing Idiolect, or SAMURAI, is a series of community projects with one goal: get people to make custom bosses. KIMOIII is the third iteration. It's pronounced "kim-oi-three". It's also got this silly recursive acronym.

SAMURAI is here for those who may struggle with coding to help push them to learn, and for veterans to brush off the rust and make something cool and new.

This time I have some help running the place, too! They'll be there to splash a bucket of cold water directly into my face muscles if I get overwhelmed with the entries being updated all at once. Running it this time are:

• Lach is a hopeful young scout whose popularity has been rising steadily ever since he released his first script. Has tons of talent, and is incredibly friendly.
  • LJ Sonic is a valiant warrior who has vanquished the evil sorceress, "Netcode", and emprisoned it in a crystal to hold it at bay for the time being. His name also starts with "L", so potentially secret brothers with Lach?
  • AxelMoon is a well-meaning guy who is very active in the Discord community, while also being a pretty swell dude. Hired for holding lots of enthusiasm with SRB2. He's also notable for looking like a nerd.
  • SeventhSentinel is a hidden veteran who's been around for a long time, but hasn't had very much time in the spotlight. Probably the harshest person on the team, but only because of his intense passion for whatever he's working on.
  • Boinciel is a legend who has been around since the beginning of the project, and mostly just writes the all-important SAMURAI lore. Also known for burning retinas with SBAHJ.
  • TehRealSalt is the project lead and resident cat princess. Known for somehow releasing SAMURAI & NASHII despite being pretty lazy otherwise, and writing this post. Writing about yourself always feels pretty weird.

- WHAT ARE THE RULES? -

Make a custom boss battle. Just do it already. Hey, hey! I see you typing there. Don't you type the words "I suck" or "I have no talent" or what have you. Just make the thing!

Need something more specific? Then, try this:

• Bare minimum compatibility is srb2win.exe, software mode, and Single Player mode. (Perferably we'd like Coop too, but it's not a requirement.)
  • Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles should be able to beat it. Don't worry about add-on characters if you don't want to.
  • If you're adding any textures or music or objects or scripts or anything, make sure they don't replace anything. Other bosses are probably using those, y'know.
  • Music needs to be module music. SRB2's MIDI support is bad nowadays, and other formats bloat file size. Don't know where to pick some up? Either go to http://modarchive.org/ and hit "Random Song" a bunch, or go to http://snesmusic.org/ and pick your favorite SNES song (SNESmusic packs its music in .rsn files that contain the whole soundtrack; you can open these the exact same way you would with a .zip file) or http://project2612.org/list.php and pick your favorite Genesis song. You'll find something good, pinky promise. If you don't care, don't have ideas, or your music breaks this rule, then one of us will pick something ourselves.
  • It's implied that you're fine with us touching your boss if you submit it. Being the project lead, I might have to mess with it to get it to work.
  • Only one entry per person. Collabs are OK, but it should count as at least one of the people working on it's entry.
  • Absolutely NO normal maps! However, I would like a boss arena map for your boss, but if you don't include one then I can crap one out for you.
  • No vanilla bosses, or bosses from Releases. This project is about making a new boss, not reusing someone elses!

Ribbons. Awards are neat, right? These get displayed on your boss in the release version. There'll be duplicates, don't you worry, there's not just one winner!

esQqeFp.png
DETON AWARD:
Most well-designed gameplay entry.
Given to the bosses with the most solid design.

lceHR23.png
COMMANDER AWARD:
Most visually impressive entry.
Given to the bosses with the best artwork or visual spectacle.

M38dDWN.png
ROBO-HOOD AWARD:
Strangest or most unique entry.
Given to the bosses that stand out the most.

- WHEN SHOULD I START? -

Starts as soon as you see this post! Look at this, it's the schedule.

Phase 1 (May 27 - June 24): Time to make your boss. Do whatever, just have an inital version submitted by June 24 @ 11:59 EDT.
Phase 2 (June 25 - July 3): This time is dedicated to feedback. Play other bosses, give thoughts, polish your own entry. There'll be a preview to make playing everything easy. If you want to polish, get your final in by July 3 @ 11:59 EDT.
Pinch Phase (July 4 - ???): Hey, it's America day. Also, congrats, you made a cool boss. Now we play the waiting game, and eventually, KIMOIII will be released with all of the entries put together with a bunch of extras on top.

- HOW DO I SUBMIT? -

Lots of ways! Make a post here or privately message any of the co-hosts, and use this submission form. This form gives us all of the relevant information we need.

Download: The link to your boss battle. Put down that it's attached if you are using the Message Board's attachment system.
Title: This is where the name of your boss goes. Helps me keep entries organized.
Submitters: Who gets listed in the subtitle of your boss map. Avoid listing everyone who hasn't played a significant role.
Credits: Put the source of all your custom resources here, or people who helped you out. Give links where applicable, please.
Maintainer Notes: Put miscellaneous information that I should know here. Optional.

If you're looking to contact any of the hosts, the #sugoi IRC channel on EsperNet is an easy place where all of us will be hanging out. Individually, you can also try Discord DMs or Message Board PMs.

Hey so the first SUGOI was pretty cool. SUBARASHII, or SUGOI 2, was HUGE. Now we're arriving at SUGOI 3.

- WHAT'S KAWAIII? -

Shut Up and Get On It is a series of community projects with one goal: get people to make stuff through the motivator of telling them to shut up and get on it. KAWAIII is the third iteration. It's pronounced "kah-why-three". It's also got this silly recursive acronym.

SUGOI is here for people to try their hand at starting something new, to grind out the ol' "get better by doing it", as well as an oppritunity for those who want to mod but have felt too shy to do anything. Doesn't matter if you're a newbie or an oldbie, I can guarantee there's something you haven't tried yet. So why not go for it?

This time I have some help running the place, too! They'll be there to fan a big, giant, cartoony feather over my head if I get sweaty looking at all of the entries submitted. Running it this time are:

• AxelMoon is a well-meaning guy who is very active in the Discord community, while also being a pretty swell dude. Hired for holding lots of enthusiasm with SRB2. He's also notable for looking like a nerd.
  • SeventhSentinel is a hidden veteran who's been around for a long time, but hasn't had very much time in the spotlight. Probably the harshest person on the team, but only because of his intense passion for whatever he's working on.
  • Boinciel is a legend who has been around since the beginning of the project, and mostly just writes the all-important SUGOI lore. Also known for burning retinas with SBAHJ and Kodachrome Void.
  • TehRealSalt is the project lead and resident dog princess. Known for somehow releasing SUGOI & SUBARASHII despite being pretty lazy otherwise, and writing this post. Writing about yourself always feels pretty weird.

- WHAT ARE THE RULES? -

Simple! Make a map, post it here, and eventually we'll release everyone's entries together as a level set. Did you say "I don't have any ideas and/or talent"? Nope, don't give me that, you're full o' baloney. Just make something.

But hey, if you need any more specific rules, they are as follows:

• Bare minimum compatibility is srb2win.exe, software mode, and Single Player mode. (Perferably we'd like Coop too, but it's not a requirement.)
  • Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles should be able to beat it. Don't worry about add-on characters if you don't want to.
  • If you're adding any textures or music or objects or scripts or anything, make sure they don't replace anything. Other maps are probably using those, y'know.
  • Music needs to be module music. SRB2's MIDI support is bad nowadays, and other formats bloat file size. Don't know where to pick some up? Either go to http://modarchive.org/ and hit "Random Song" a bunch, or go to http://snesmusic.org/ and pick your favorite SNES song (SNESmusic packs its music in .rsn files that contain the whole soundtrack; you can open these the exact same way you would with a .zip file) or http://project2612.org/list.php and pick your favorite Genesis song. You'll find something good, pinky promise. If you don't care, don't have ideas, or your music breaks this rule, then one of us will pick something ourselves.
  • It's implied that you're fine with us touching your map if you submit it. Being the project lead, I might have to mess with it to get it to work.
  • Only one entry per person. Collabs are OK, but it should count as at least one of the people working on it's entry. (((Your KAWAIII entry doesn't count toward this!)))
  • Absolutely NO bosses at this time. Minibosses are okay at the end of your level, as long as the level is your focus.

We're also going to be handing out ribbons to showcase some of the highlights, and encourage more creative work from the community! These ribbons will be displayed on your entry in the release version. If there's enough entries, we may hand out duplicates, too.

RdpntxD.png
SNEAKER AWARD:
Most well-designed gameplay entry.
Given to the entries with the most solid design.

bQtaJeY.png
SPARKLE AWARD:
Most visually impressive entry.
Given to the entries with the best art direction or detail.

wFlY0q0.png
EMERALD AWARD:
Strangest or most unique entry.
Given to the entries that stand out the most.

- WHEN SHOULD I START? -

Here's the schedule.

Phase 1 (April 17 - May 15): Make your map! You have exactly 4 weeks to do it. Do whatever you want, just try to get it submitted by May 15 @ 11:59pm EDT.
Phase 2 (May 16 - May 26): Now, try to play other peoples maps and give feedback. A few days in, a preview WAD that has all of the maps in a row will be provided to encourage more people to give feedback. Whoever entered is encouraged to update their entries by May 26 @ 11:59pm EDT.
Pinch Phase (May 27 - ???): Relax. You made a map! Give yourself a pat on the back. Eventually, the project will release for real with all of the bells-and-whistles it usually has.

- HOW DO I SUBMIT? -

Either make a post in this thread, or contact any of the hosts. Use this form to tell us "Yes, this is a completed entry that I want in the project." If you don't use it, we'll assume it's a WIP version you're just posting for feedback.

Download: The link to your map. Put down that it's attached if you are using the Message Board's attachment system.
Title: This is where the name of your level goes. Helps me keep entries organized.
Submitters: Who gets listed in the map's subtitle. Avoid listing everyone who hasn't played a significant role.
Credits: Put the source of all your custom resources here, or people who helped you out. Give links where applicable, please.
Maintainer Notes: Put miscellaneous information that I should know here. Optional.

If you're looking to contact any of the hosts, the #sugoi IRC channel on EsperNet is an easy place where all of us will be hanging out. Individually, you can also try Discord DMs or Message Board PMs.

and uh, happy birthday to me

Last edited:
Happy Birthday Salt, wish I could contribute this time around :/ Oh well at least will get to try what others will share with us, Good luck everyone willing to participate :)

Are Special Stages still okay this time around?Pretty eager to make one :P

OMG YES

For some reason these contests more than anything make me wanna get off my ass and make something! Although, the university semester is coming to a close...

Y u pick finals week??!

I’ll do my best to enter anyway :D

Didnt think this day will come so soon. I will try my best to get a map done for this! also happy bday too!

Are Special Stages still okay this time around?Pretty eager to make one :P

I'm no longer doing the Emerald Stage format, but I still highly encourage making ridiculous Lua stages anyway! They just won't give emeralds.

Sometime later though, I will reveal this edition's twist; stay tuned~

I hate to complain, but three weeks(?) doesn't sound like enough time to make a decent map, that's my opinion tho.

Last edited:
Due to the timing of this (school's just restarted and work is literally stackin' up) and the short amount of time we get to get maps ready, I can't participate in this SUGOI 3 this time. Plus, last time my map was included despite it not being finished. Good luck to anyone involved!

Looks like I'll be coming out of hiding for a while for this.
So, quick question: would it be unacceptable to have a map that reloads itself as part of a gimmick? I want to be sure I won't be ruining the party with my silly ideas.

I hate to complain, but three weeks(?) doesn't sound like enough time to make a decent map, that's my opinion tho. Anyways, I plan to submit again this year.

Well, technically I added even *more* time to both phases than the previous two SUGOI's :V

EDIT: Yes @Badnik

Last edited:
I would prefer entries to be made specifically for KAWAIII, or at least not have been released before the event (finishing something you started beforehand but never finished is fine); sorry!

Good luck to anyone who plans on making a map for this! I won't be involved in this because I have maps in progress, and if I join this it will never be done.

Last edited:
And so the legend treads on

I always get hyped for community collabs like this, it's so exciting to see a huge variety of maps in one unique compilation. Good luck to anyone participating!

EDIT: Also how does one pick up songs from SNESMusic? I'm kinda confused.

also happy cake day salt~

Last edited:
Aw yes! I already have a couple of maps in wip.

An i have plans for a twist on one of them.

For SNESmusic.org: Once you find the song from the game you want, download the game's .rsn file, then extract it like a normal .zip file with something like WinRAR or 7zip. The tracks files are numbered, so be sure to keep the site open so that you know which songs are which.

Well, I guess this would be a good time to try to make a map, huh? I guess I'll try to actually make something... and actually finish it. (Also, Happy B-day, Salt)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back