[Open Assets] Auto-Brake when not moving (autobrake.lua)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FuriousFox

AKA FuriousFox
This script will make your character automatically try to stop when you aren't pressing any of the movement keys. The idea is that this could help people who find SRB2's controls too slippery.

It basically works by acting like you are pressing the keys to move in the opposite direction that you are currently moving. This script doesn't (or at least shouldn't) do anything that a skilled player can't already do on their own.

The script also automatically disables while springing or spinning, so that diagonal springs can still send you to the correct destination, and so that spindashes don't immediately begin slowing down after doing them.

You can use the AUTOBRAKE console variable to adjust the brake's sensitivity. By default, it is set to the maximum (100). Setting it to 0 completely disables it.

Special thanks to RedEnchilada for helping me understand SRB2's movement code.

Attachments

• srb20006.gif
    srb20006.gif
    788.1 KB · Views: 1,088
  • autobrake.lua
    1.2 KB · Views: 973
Last edited:
I suppose it could make it easier to come to a stop while dealing with control lag, since you could just let go of the controls instead of trying to figure out how long you have to hold the opposite direction to stop.

I Just tried this and I have to say It really makes the controls so much less slippery, It was easy to get used to and it didn't affect the gameplay very much, even on the maps that use slopes, Really great, I'm glad this is going to be in 2.2.

With more tests I found a possible issue, the players also come to a full stop when they release movement keys on slippery sectors, somehow the script also affects player movement on slippery sectors, easy to notice on maps like Icicle Falls.

You can already come to a full stop on slippery sectors, it's just incredibly difficult to get the timing right. (It's sorted for internal with the scaling factor on acceleration, though.)

I... I don't know what to think of this idea in general, making the ability to stop by letting go of the controls has made more people hiss at newbies for not understanding SRB2's controls the second they chose Sonic The Hedgehog in the character select for Single Player. But, despite all of that... this is probably the best thing SRB2 has needed when it comes to stiff platforming and movement. As a really active and semi-skilled co-op player, this is absolutely amazing to use personally, it's made platforming a hell of a lot easier in general because of how your momentum can get in the way when you don't want it to, or holding the opposite direction for too long can make you fall off too quickly without intending to fall off, it's made a lot of things tolerable overall... I can't wait to see it's integration in 2.2 make Single Player a much more enjoyable experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back