[Open Assets] Modern Sonic Abilities 4.0 BIG UPDATE

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Boosting while spindashing can become extremely ridiculously fast. It's not your mod, it's the game's code that allows the spindash to get so out-of-hand. But if there's a way you can cap it, you should totally do it. Gif demonstration below.
v2.1%20broken%20speed%20limit.gif
Hope this helps!

this is because the script takes the players current speed and adds to it. therefore, while spindashing, there is less friction so you speed up. i might go back to the older boost. i liked it better.

Boosting while spindashing can become extremely ridiculously fast. It's not your mod, it's the game's code that allows the spindash to get so out-of-hand. But if there's a way you can cap it, you should totally do it. Gif demonstration below.
This actually seems to be like Sonic Lost World Spindash.

Functionally, this is somewhat passable, aside from a few problems. The double jump shouldn't need to be held like the jump button when trying to go higher and the lightdash has this strange bug that causes it to not grab rings, in addition to making normal rings uncollectable, requiring ring boxes just to get any.

Other than that, this really would only be enjoyable if there were levels made for boost2win gameplay, rather than using SRB2's normal ones because of the blatantly obvious "smashing your face against the walls in everything that isn't Greenflower Zone". You should probably add ring attraction to the boost and replace its afterimage effect with something like the thok.

Just some suggestions...

EDIT: In addition to the height problem being already fixed, there's also this odd bug where boosting into a wall (or just not moving directly forward while boosting) causes you to just stay in a run frame. Boosting also clips through pushables.

EDIT2: There's also a random crash that occurs when boosting into a Jet Jaw in 2D mode.

EDIT3: I find problems as I go along in a level. You can still boost after completing a level, lightspeed dash flings you at the end which makes vertically curved rings a pain, double jumping onto a platform that's just high enough keeps you in spin frames, holding the stomp button allows you to stay at the bottom of Techno Hill Zone slime (might wanna make that a "one use at a time" ability), and the abilities themselves not being properly balanced for 2D mode (boost kills enemies that are too far away, lightspeed dash requires you to be right next to rings, each ability is way too fast).

That's all I can find for now.

Last edited:
Think I found a sprite bug. Tell me if you, or someone else, found this.
When you have no rings, press and hold Custom 1, and stand still, he is stuck in a running sprite. This also happens if you do all of this again, but start to gain speed from standing.

And I found another issue. However you coded this, it makes you completely immune to bottomless pits while holding custom 1. It's not even specifically boosting, just holding custom 1 will keep you from dying.

And I found another issue. However you coded this, it makes you completely immune to bottomless pits while holding custom 1. It's not even specifically boosting, just holding custom 1 will keep you from dying.

Boost is made to make you gain speed and give you complete invincibility, so yeah. Maybe unfixable.

BUT, in this bug you just need to let go custom 1 and die so, whenever you go into a bottomless pit do that and there will be no bug fixes. Simple. Just Simple.

Think I found a sprite bug. Tell me if you, or someone else, found this.
When you have no rings, press and hold Custom 1, and stand still, he is stuck in a running sprite. This also happens if you do all of this again, but start to gain speed from standing.

Yeah that happens and he might fix that with the other 'goodies'.

Boost is made to make you gain speed and give you complete invincibility, so yeah. Maybe unfixable.
That is certainly more than just fixable, it's very easy. Saying to just deal with a bug that allows you to break the game is no way to handle it at all.

as of now, i am working on a new boost script. so you aren't completely invincible. the boost behavior will also be changed yet again.

well, im going to do a mix of the old boost and the new boost. im also going to just give the player an invincibility instead of "immune to everything" and also slow the boost down some considering its very hard to control. Im also going to drain the rings faster because right now its just literally boost to win with nothing really stopping you.

I want to do a boost bar but im not sure how so im using the ring drain as a starter until i learn how to make a boost bar work.

I take it you still haven't figured it out then. Fair enough.

Even though I'm glad that the boost isn't going to last as long as it does right now, there is plenty stopping you. Walls, falling into pits, having to actually begin platforming, the aforementioned later parts of the game without any open sections for boosting, lack of rings... You get the idea.

Why doesn't this all work on a meter? I mean, it manages the "boost to win" concept even better. Hell, why not design the boost meter like Sonic Unleashed for the Wii, where by the pressing one button (or one shake of the wiimote) and you get a super speed boost for a few seconds.

Personally I have no problem with the boost mechanic, but on another note the player shouldn't be allowed to "double jump" more than once. Test this out in deep water or over a large pit by holding the double jump button. A less annoying problem is that the boost or light dash goes out of whack from time to time, forcing the ability to cease functioning altogether, and causing me to reset the game to light dash or boost again. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this wad and use it in almost every session, but crashes and infinite jumps are tiring.

Last edited:
Well, this is embarrassing. My previous posts have been rather wrong. I used this script in another 2D level and the coding worked fine, so I guess the script has some issues with SRB1 remake levels. And the double jump is still based on how long you press it. It's also... too useful. Not that it's bad for a double jump, it just doesn't feel like the Colors double jump. It sends you higher than your normal jumping too. Also of note is that if you try to double jump after hitting a spring or walking off a ledge, in addition to that actually working, it allows you homing attack.

EDIT: Boosting underwater while the drowning timer is going down keeps you from drowning. The "unable to die" part has already been stated, but this is another example. Interestingly, the music for the level doesn't ever come back on and the game actually still counts down until you're going to drown again when you let go of the button.

Last edited:
Well, There is finally a brand new update. this one was very much needed as the code is a complete rewrite of the older one. This also adds some new abilities and reduces the number of keys needed to preform the said abilities. read the OP for the news and updates. Have Fun :D

Something must have broke durring the change between boost codes. In the previous version I could somehow control the boost in analog mode, now I can't. It's not a major thing but I found it interesting.

EDIT: I just found out that I can not strafe while boosting either.

Last edited:
this is normal behavior as when boosting at full speed uses P_InstaThrust which i use to make the player move at a fixed speed at the angle they are facing. thus allowing little to no strafe.

Some recent-ish SRB2 patch made thrusting prevent you from changing direction in analogue mode.

Note the direction change during the dash at the beginning of this gif. I couldn't have done that in the current SRB2 version, I'd have been forced to keep going directly forward. (Ignore that it's topdown, the analogue change applies to it too.)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back