Things in quicksand can get stuck under the sector floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
This is really an irksome glitch. It might be true of other intangible FOFs, but I haven't tried it in anything other than quicksand blocks.

Picture a situation in which gravity affected Things, like springs or spikes, are resting on the floor of a sector. Now let's say that that sector's floor is raised from 0 to 512 fracunits using Linedef Executors. Under normal circumstances the Things will move upwards a corresponding amount, so that they will stay right on the floor of the sector. It makes sense, it avoids bugginess, and it's useful for gimmicks.

But now let's also say that there's a quicksand bock that is also inside that sector, with a floor of 0 and a ceiling of 128. That's enough to completely bury the Things. But that shouldn't matter, should it? In theory, the Things should still move with the floor of the sector when it gets raised by Linedef Executors.

Nope.

When there is a quicksand block on the floor of the sector, and the floor of the sector gets moved, any Things on the floor of the sector stay at their absolute z-height. In this case, that would mean that the Things will now be 512 fracunits below the floor of the sector.

I've tested this extensively. It's the quicksand that's causing the problem.

Fawfulfan, I don't know if you found this "solution", but while this doesn't get fixed, raise the quicksand block's floor at the same rate you do it on the sector's floor, that way any gravity affected Thing will be raised as well.

Fawfulfan, I don't know if you found this "solution", but while this doesn't get fixed, raise the quicksand block's floor at the same rate you do it on the sector's floor, that way any gravity affected Thing will be raised as well.

That's all very fine and dandy...but you seem to have overlooked the fact that the whole POINT of a quicksand block is to pull you down whilst you are inside it. A midair quicksand block might be useful for some gimmicks, but in general it defeats the whole purpose of the thing. I like to have death pits under my quicksand (or in this case, an Intangible, Invisible block with Instand Kill).

I never mentioned a mid-air quicksand block... What I was referring to was the particular case in which a quicksand FOF rests on the floor of a sector and has Things buried in it (your scenario). When the sector's floor would move up, so would the quicksand FOF's floor (not the ceiling).

Having said that, despite the purpose of the quicksand being to pull you down, I believe that a rising floor beneath the sand applies more force to objects than the quicksand does (real life scenario), hence making them rise. This makes more sense, of course, when only certain parts of the floor beneath the sand rise and not the whole floor (in that case it would make sense for the sand to rise as well).

Last edited:
I never mentioned a mid-air quicksand block... What I was referring to was the particular case in which a quicksand FOF rests on the floor of a sector and has Things buried in it (your scenario). When the sector's floor would move up, so would the quicksand FOF's floor (not the ceiling).
That might possibly work in my scenario, but it wouldn't work in the level I'm trying to build, for two reasons. First, the gimmick I'm building already requires the ceiling of the quicksand to move, and the Things are somewhere in the middle of it. Second, in general, the sector floor is going to be moved above the height of the ceiling of the quicksand, which makes the floor move you described impossible.

Having said that, despite the purpose of the quicksand being to pull you down, I believe that a rising floor beneath the sand applies more force to objects than the quicksand does (real life scenario), hence making them rise. This makes more sense, of course, when only certain parts of the floor beneath the sand rise and not the whole floor (in that case it would make sense for the sand to rise as well).

Certainly it does apply more force in real-life physics. But there's no getting around the fact that this is a bug. Things should never be pushed outside the boundaries of a sector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back