SRB2 Doom Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there again, Oogaland. (I'm starting to sound spammy here :))

I would like to know your progress on the next build of SRB2Builder. It has been about 2 months?? or so since your last one. Could you give us a list on what is now fixed for the upcoming build or how far you are on the rewrite of SRB2Builder? That support ticket page isn't good when it comes to summary's on what is currently fixed for the next build.

Sonict

I think it should release a little while after v1.1 of SRB2 comes out. That way Oogaland won't have to release two in a short time. Or he can release at the same time as 1.1 if SSN or someone gives him a list of what it needs (Sector effects, linedef executors, objects, etc.). They might be rearranged in 1.1 for all we know. What would happen to Prismatic Angel if the FOF (25) was changed to something else (?) and death pits were changed to exit sectors?

Sonict said:
Hello there again, Oogaland. (I'm starting to sound spammy here :))

I would like to know your progress on the next build of SRB2Builder. It has been about 2 months?? or so since your last one. Could you give us a list on what is now fixed for the upcoming build or how far you are on the rewrite of SRB2Builder? That support ticket page isn't good when it comes to summary's on what is currently fixed for the next build.

Sonict
Yes, sorry for the lack of updates of late. This is due to the combination of classes limiting my free time, and the fact that I'm spending what programming time I do get working on the rewrite. To see what I've been up to, you can look at the tracker's timeline. Here're a couple of queries that might be of interest:For the latter, there's also the changelog that I include with the builds, of which I try to remember to keep an up-to-date copy in the repository, although occasionally it lags behind actual progress. It might be a little easier to read than the changesets.

Apologies for the double-post, first of all.

New build, at long last: http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0569864/builder_srb2-setup-r25.exe. New this time:

Code:
+ Increased range of vertical rotation of camera in 3D mode.
+ Altered sector effect selection method.
+ Un-hardcoded zoom tube thing number.
+ DCK-style box-drawing.
! Fixed some default settings.
! Some Things weren't displayed in 3D mode.
! Autocompletion-while-typing of textures had problems if the user typed too
  quickly.
+ LoadMapConfiguration reports line numbers on error.
! Vertices could snap to grid incorrectly when cancelling a drawn line.
+ Search on sidedef number.
+ Option to snap to (rather than merely stitch to) vertices when drawing.
! Check-state for snap and stitch menu items was sometimes wrong.
+ Automatically select the first map in the Select Map dialogue when a wad has
  multiple maps.
Some of these require further explanation:
  • Altered sector effect selection method.
    Before, to get the list of sector effects, you had to click a button which opened a subsidiary dialogue; now, they're just listed in a combo box.
  • DCK-style box-drawing.
    Alt+right-click. No prizes for guessing who suggested this one. ;)
  • Fixed some default settings.
    Having the texture previews on the left by default was an accident... If you're updating an existing installation, these defaults won't be applied.
  • Vertices could snap to grid incorrectly when cancelling a drawn line.
    This happened if you used shift to temporarily disable snapping, and then used backspace to remove a line.
  • Option to snap to (rather than merely stitch to) vertices when drawing.
    This is on by default. If you're drawing a line and you hover near a vertex, the new vertex will now snap towards it.
It'll probably be a similar length of time until the next build; I'm focussing my energies on the rewrite at the moment. And it appears I've been ignoring my no-new-features rule. Oh well.

While I'm here, would anyone object if I renamed the thread to "SRB2 Doom Builder"? The current title made more sense a year ago, but it's not terribly helpful now.
EDIT: No-one objected, so: done.

Do it now. (the rename.)
So nothing is broken this time?

Notice: Why was there a blank page 32 in this topic?

I have encounter something look:

One of your FOF's with a tag of 7 is higher than the bottem.

I think thats how it goes, I dunno i'm at school.And I checked any tag of 7 and fixed it but still same thing in my level wad.

Note:I only have it set for up to ZONE 5-1 after ZONE 5-1, a strange music plays and then the error pops up. However, when it was only ZONE 4-1 the error didn't even pop up.

AND I CHECKED TOO.

I dunno if this was the correct place for this post...

That message means pretty much what it says: the control sector for the FOF with the special linedef with tag 7 has a floor height greater than that of its ceiling. It'd be worthwhile looking again at the relevant control sector. Also, if you've accidentally created two FOF linedefs with tag 7, the error could be due to either one, so look for all linedefs with tag 7 (Edit/Find in (SRB2)DB).

SonicX8000 said:
I dunno if this was the correct place for this post...
It isn't, really. This thread is for discussion related to SRB2DB, rather than map editing. Your problem is with your map, not with the editor itself (unless something truly odd is afoot). If you're still having problems, you might be better to create a topic in the Editing Help forum.

It means that there's some unknown error somewhere, probably in your map. Do an error check (Tools/Error Check).

"Error 7 in CopyLumpsByType(): Out of Memory"

Uh, what happens when SRB2 Doom Builder runs out of memory? It should be noted that I was listening to an online constant audio feed while trying to test my map. T_T

Edit:Upon hitting "Ok" a box comes up that says:

BuilderSRB2.exe - Application Error said:
The intruction at "0x7c93426d" referenced memory at "0x0000005c". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

And scary thing is, it comes in front of all the windows I currently have open.

I have a problem. While trying to clean up my computer I used a program called Cleanup to...well clean up my temporary files. I then went onto Doombuilder. When I tried loading it, it tried to install Microsoft Publisher! I ingnored it and closed it. Later on while I was making maps I tried putting in Things but Nothing was there it just had thing 11 and everything else was just gone! :eek: If you know a solution to this please tell me! :( Everything else is fine but that.
Edit: The Publisher Installation happens when it loads up the interface.

BlueZero4 said:
Uh, what happens when SRB2 Doom Builder runs out of memory? It should be noted that I was listening to an online constant audio feed while trying to test my map. T_T
Chances are that wasn't due to running out of memory for any legitimate reason -- more likely a bug caused it to request an obscene amount of memory. What were you doing at the time? And are you able to reproduce it?

mariosonic said:
I have a problem. While trying to clean up my computer I used a program called Cleanup to...well clean up my temporary files. I then went onto Doombuilder. When I tried loading it, it tried to install Microsoft Publisher! I ingnored it and closed it. Later on while I was making maps I tried putting in Things but Nothing was there it just had thing 11 and everything else was just gone! :eek: If you know a solution to this please tell me! :( Everything else is fine but that.
Edit: The Publisher Installation happens when it loads up the interface.
Try reinstalling SRB2DB if you haven't already. That Cleanup thingumy may have been a little cavalier with component registration in the registry. You might as well try reinstalling Publisher, too.

Oogaland, it only happens on one map, which runs fine on normal Doom Builder. As much as I did originally encounter this while listening to radio online, it happens without the radio open as well.
Edit: Just turned the testing off race mode and it runs fine. Weird.

You need to make it so that F_SKY1 is displayed on the texture browser. It got a bit of a pain when I had to type it in about 50 times ever since I dropped the GFX.wad file.

Double post ftw.

Anyways, maybe you could have a key that you could hold down to display the lengths of all the visible linedefs for as long as it's held down. Similar to the display of length when drawing a line.

Hey Oogaland, I know what happened:
I tagged water to the inside of an FOF.

For some reason, it still does the "Error 7 in CopyLumpsByType(): Out of Memory" thing. And again, it works fine testing in normal DB. Race mode had nothing to do with it.

Err, wait, never mind, I have no idea what's causing it, I might as well pm you the file.

I found this bug with the FOF's.

If you select a FOF as a diffent custom,*say like making that FOF look like glass*. It says that the FOF is having invaild texures,signle sided with a backside.*when I remove the back side of the FOF of this,*which you can't due that it's needed* it crashs and closes, and there goes my hard work.

And if you make another FOF while having this error, it never loads any nodes due to an overflow error,*which is hardly overflowed...*

Another bug with the FOF's

When you make the first FOF in a map, when you try to chnage the HT, the FOF doesn't move but, when you exit and reenter 3D MODE, it's HT was changed.

^This the wrong place to put this isn't it?

BlueZero4 said:
Hey Oogaland, I know what happened:
I tagged water to the inside of an FOF.

For some reason, it still does the "Error 7 in CopyLumpsByType(): Out of Memory" thing. And again, it works fine testing in normal DB. Race mode had nothing to do with it.

Err, wait, never mind, I have no idea what's causing it, I might as well pm you the file.
Hmm, sounds odd. Could you please PM that file? It'd probably help.

SonicX8000 said:
I found this bug with the FOF's.

If you select a FOF as a diffent custom,*say like making that FOF look like glass*. It says that the FOF is having invaild texures,signle sided with a backside.*when I remove the back side of the FOF of this,*which you can't due that it's needed* it crashs and closes, and there goes my hard work.
That sounds like your map had errors before you created the FOF. Maybe not, though. Can you reproduce this? If so, it'd be helpful if you could list some precise steps for doing so.

SonicX8000 said:
And if you make another FOF while having this error, it never loads any nodes due to an overflow error,*which is hardly overflowed...*
Once one thing goes wrong, normal behaviour goes out the window. Overflow, incidentally, is what happens when numbers get too big.

SonicX8000 said:
Another bug with the FOF's

When you make the first FOF in a map, when you try to chnage the HT, the FOF doesn't move but, when you exit and reenter 3D MODE, it's HT was changed.
Are you creating the FOF in 2D or 3D mode? (And I take it HT = height?) Also, how are you changing the height: using the dialogue box or the mouse wheel?

SonicX8000 said:
^This the wrong place to put this isn't it?
No, this is the right place.

Thanks for the reports, both of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back