When do you think SRB2 will be "complete"?

Abcormal

Hi, I'm new to the forums, so stop me if I'm doing anything wrong.

But I've been looking to download and play this game for quite some time, since it looks promising enough, and others have recommended it.

However, there is one thing that I'm curious about. On the main page of the SRB2 site, it says:

"While SRB2 isn't fully completed, it already features tons of levels, enemies, speed, and quite a lot of the fun that the original Sonic games provided" [emphasis mine].

Considering that this game has been in development for nearly twenty-three years as I'm writing this, when do you think it'll be well and truly "complete"? Which zones, features, characters, etc. do you think the "final" version will have, if indeed it ever comes?

I'm probably still going to play this game regardless - I'm just curious as to what you all think about this.

Last edited:
To be honest i have no idea when this game will be complete, but by it's looks it could be finished in 2 years or something i don't know. I can't say that what we have now is the final result but also can't tell it's not. Some major changes could happen to the game. (by far, the major changes were in 2.2.0 i guess) It is confirmed that new zones (that i think that they were scrapped ideas) will be included at some point in a future update, you can left a suggestion at the Sugestions thread in case you want something to change or add, but, In my opinion, i think this could be far from being complete. (and thats maybe why i like it)

It's hard to say. The 2.2 update brings the feeling as though the end is just around the corner, but it is often the case that new large scale updates expand the horizons of what SRB2 could be when they drop, and the goalpost gets pushed back by it. Even when all the intended content does make it into the game, who's to say for how long the game will still be getting tweaks and side content additions?

It's clear the devs intend to make it the best game it could possibly be, or else the full game would have released decades ago. Ultimately, it will be done when they all decide they are done with it.

My wild guess is that SRB2's "completion" (defined as having the entire main campaign's levels finished and all up to the same standards) will be three major updates from version 2.2—going by the pattern of a major update every five years, that would be 2034.

I think in the long run, 2.2 will be regarded as the first major version of SRB2 to contain slopes and all its other new significant features, which means it'll likely eventually be considered to have early installment weirdness. If it took this long to get from the start of Doom engine SRB2 to the game as it is now, it'll probably take at least half as long for the game to see completion.

It's not really an issue of "completeness". SRB2 could have been completed (as in, all planned zones finished and included) in the early 2000s if the devs wanted to, but they instead decided to endlessly expand upon the game's scope. Castle Eggman Act 1 has famously been remade from scratch, like, 5 times.

From the bits and pieces I've heard about the next major version of the game, it sounds like it's planned to be yet another major overhaul of everything.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if SRB2 ever reached a state where it was considered "done".

This isn't to like, trash the devs or anything, but with how much scope creep has happened (not necessarily unwarranted; no one would care about SRB2 if it was all finished in the final demo era) I doubt that tendency will wane any time soon, especially with the looming physics rework. It helps that, as a nonprofessional, nonprofit project, there aren't really any true deadlines to meet. Development will continue until the dev team is satisfied, whenever that may be.

To put it another way; if SRB2 development ever stopped definitively, the game would likely be
considered "discontinued" rather than being "completed".

My opinion on this discussion

I honestly feel like srb2 will keep on going until I would say version 3.0 in as cookiefonster said the year 2034 but I also feel like it might be around 2045 ish but I'm not sure about it.

personally I think in my opinion srb2 will be completed once you can have everything 3d in-game and only in the vanilla game.

I also feel like we might get at least one more vanilla character before development is done but I don't think we should talk about who I and y'all think the character(s) will be over here.

Now I will say that I think that it's super hard thinking about srb2 ending because it seems like such a great fan made project that's been going for 20+ years (geez this game is old) and version 2.2 has brought in a new light for srb2 revamping a bunch of zones like castle eggman, techno hill, and especially green flower.

welp that's my opinion on this discussion but I want to y'all's opinion on this so make sure to keep the discussion going and thanks for reading.

I honestly feel like srb2 will keep on going until I would say version 3.0 in as cookiefonster said the year 2034 but I also feel like it might be around 2045 ish but I'm not sure about it.

The fact that people can talk about what the state of SRB2 will be in the year 2045 without a hint of irony makes me so gleefully giddy.

SRB2 could go on for decades on end for all we know and I'm not even joking. The development team could change completely in a few years, and different people have different visions, so it could go on forever. I don't know about you guys, but I'm here for the long haul.

When all 7 zones have two acts and a boss. I'm sure it will be updated after that and some levels may even be redone, but that would be more like post-release tweaking.

I'd say I agree with the above, but it would be nice to see more unique enemies, some of the enemies we see are just red versions of an existing enemy which does make sense, but I think it could be cool to have more, SRB2's enemy design isn't that special but neither are any of the enemies in the classic games to be fair. Doesn't need to be special BUT, could be cooler i guess.

Honestly, all the main campaign levels having two acts and a boss doesn't feel like an end point to me, in terms of game completeness. It wouldn't necessarily imply that emblem locations and obtainment methods would be finalized, nor does it imply all of the character movesets being finalized or the special stages reaching their final state. We could see more levels added to the bonus levels section with unlockables tied to them in some capacity, new game modes implemented (especially in multiplayer), multiplayer could get large scale changes in general (balance, mechanics, etc.), etc.

If anything, the main campaign reaching a state of near completion like that would just present the feeling of the end being right around the corner, much like where we are at now.

I'd say I agree with the above, but it would be nice to see more unique enemies, some of the enemies we see are just red versions of an existing enemy which does make sense, but I think it could be cool to have more, SRB2's enemy design isn't that special but neither are any of the enemies in the classic games to be fair. Doesn't need to be special BUT, could be cooler i guess.
I disagree with what you said about SRB2's enemies. I think the game's enemies are wonderfully varied—the only enemies that have red variations are crawlas and buzzes.

Also, who's to say SRB2 necessarily needs a bunch of new enemies, rather than improving its existing ones? 2.2 added quite a few new enemies, sure, but it also changed the behavior of a lot of existing ones. Castle Eggman's enemies are a good example—all three were overhauled to make the zone's enemy placement much more engaging than before. In 2.1, Egg Guards were near impossible to kill, Robo-Hoods' arrows came seemingly at random, and CastleBot FaceStabbers were little more than decoration. Now in 2.2, Egg Guards are much easier to kill but also have much more reason to be dealt with due to their movement patterns, Robo-Hoods properly telegraph their attacks, and Lance-a-Bots are finally as tough as they look (and have a sick new name as well).

There are plenty of enemies or enemy sets that still have room for improvement; for instance, Greenflower's enemy set is pitifully basic, Deep Sea's Skims are hardly noticeable and have terrible sprites, and Red Volcano's Dragonbombers barely get to do anything. Still, enemy design is no doubt one of SRB2's biggest strong suits.

Once we have the latter two acts of Red Volcano and the revamp of Egg Rock, we'll be pretty close. It mostly just depends on whether Dark City and Doomship are still happening and how much it'll take to develop those.

Well, that, and the whole game might depend on however many changes to the core physics and movement are made in 2.3.

Even if all 7 zones and everything else is complete and the game is in a "finished" state, I don't know if SRB2 will ever truly be "done". I feel like, especially in its modern incarnation, it's the kind of project that'll always be iterated upon.

Also, I think that "truly complete" line might be a holdover from Final Demo 1.09.4 but I'm not sure.

Never! One of the reasons SRB2 has stayed alive for over 2 decades is because it keeps being passed down to new hands who put their own touches on the game and take it in different directions than those before them. I don't think that process is going to stop unless the community as a whole dies out.

srb2 cant be completed because the game kept changing its maps and added more and more exemple
2.0 first finished srb2 version
2.1 maps have been edited and 1 new level

2.2 new map,new ost,secret maps
2.2.4 or 2.2.5 not sure: mystic realm ost added and custom colors

2.2.7(i think) shaders
2.2.8 some bug fixes

when they give sonic and metal new abilities that dont suck a-

I can wait forever for whatever the hell STJr has up their sleeves for the next major game update, they won't stop as long as people keep interest in the game!

when they give sonic and metal new abilities that dont suck a-

I can see what you were going to talk about so I'm going to talk about it too.

Sonic's thok ability is a little too OP but not too much.
personally I think srb2 should try to do it how overwatch did it in the beginning when it comes to abilities where everyone is over powered so the limit of what's possible is based off of the players skill but that's where I get into metal Sonic.
METAL SONIC NEEDS TO BE BUFFED
no seriously like his boost mode is kinda fun but
hovering...literally just HOVERING
Hovering is super lame when you are the one using it and the worst part is-
METAL SONIC DOESN'T GAIN ANYTHING FROM GOING SUPER
I swear it keeps boggling my mind that Metal Sonic doesn't even gain flight and auto destroying breakable stuff is a natural thing that comes with going super in general so I think that's concludes my pos-
BUT WAIT
THERE'S MORE

I also feel like Knuckles needs to be buffed but not as much because I think that Knuckles's gliding needs to be made faster when under water so he feels better to play as.

And that's all I have to say because I've said my opinion and I've already said everything that isn't what everyone else is saying so...
Thanks for reading geez this is a long post

Welp the game is 20 plus years old and WHEN ARE THERE GONNA BE the loops from the classic games

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back