We're Not Dead Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. A set of more frames would allow you to make more things, visually. However, that hanging frame you so despise does the job just fine for most things, and the more extreme things you've pointed out that it doesn't work for aren't things we're planning on doing anyways. (Personally, I really don't want to see people mounting Knuckles, especially when the entire cast of this game is male)

On the other hand, the shield sprites I keep pointing out have serious, gameplay use and enhance our already existent game. Since our game extensively uses colormaps, having all our shields be recolors of the same sprite causes serious issues, since you can't tell the difference between several shields under even moderate colormap. Hell, I even exploited this quirk back in Mystic Realm, putting a trap shield under the painful water in MFZ1 because people aren't able to see the color on the monitor because of the water colormap. Giving them all separate sprites fixes this long-standing issue in the game.

There are also many more far more serious spriting needs to our game than extra player frames, which I will note are probably the most time-consuming thing to sprite in the game. Currently, Eggscalibur looks like an Egg Mobile, for example. I don't think any of us want that to be the case, but it still is. The priorities are such that the effort spent making new, narrowly-useful player sprites would be far better spent on things that are important across the board, like new boss sprites or fixing serious issues in the shield sprites.

In any case, will 2.1 ever get new textures? It doesn't even matter if it's from the Asset Pack or original, but people without spriting knowledge have no means to make levels that look visually distinctive anymore; and IIRC that's quite a huge chunk of this place.
New textures are generally added to the game as we need them. There are more textures in 2.1, mostly textures made to suit our current needs.

I'd say this in IRC but the lack of adequate moderation in there leads to constant shit-posting, trolling, and complete torture of anyone who has an opposing opinion before they can even get their point across coherently. I bet my post is quickly being linked and mocked right now!
You DO realize that if you're going to play devil's advocate and champion an unpopular opinion, you had better be prepared with an argument strong enough to go against popular opinion. Instead, you tend to just post shit as it comes to your mind, unfiltered and unchecked by the rest of your brain, and then proceed to have the entire channel curbstomp your obvious logical holes into oblivion. This is not shit-posting or trolling; it's just losing an argument, and no amount of moderation would change that.

If you want to be taken seriously with an unpopular opinion, you should think the ramifications of what you're saying through before you post. You should also plan ahead and think about a response to the arguments you're likely to get against you. I don't think I can count the number of times you've posted some unpopular opinion, and then when asked to back it up, you come up blank entirely. Of course the channel is going to eat you alive in that situation.

Thoughts:

Took you guys long enough to implement unique shield designs! Okay, okay, spritework is absolutely one of the more painstaking procedures involved in game development, but that one's been on the list for god knows how long now. It's great to see some progress finally being done on that ticket, even if it is well past due.

I'm genuinely impressed by the buoyancy mechanic you've thrown into THZ...it's a wonderful way of solving a lot of the problems that have plagued the motif since its creation. It's certainly not something I would have ever been able to come up with... Kudos.

The usage of an OLDC map to fluff out the solo offerings is stupid, in my opinion. You guys should move away from adding things solely because they reach a certain quality threshold, and continue focusing on the singleplayer campaign instead. Feature creep is not something you want to encourage (I think I had this same argument when NAGZ was first added during ME dev). I haven't physically played the map in question, however, so perhaps I'm not seeing the whole picture here. Either way, it's a purposeless distraction.

EDIT: Turns out plans for Azure Temple exist in the TUDD, so my argument is (mostly) moot. It really shouldn't be focused on until the primary SP campaign is completed, but whatever.

Congrats on not being dead yet.

Last edited:
Spazzo, ATZ was made to be put in 2.1 from the very beginning; it's a TUDD-specified level. It was put in the OLDC as a preview and for user feedback, not to decide whether or not it would go in.

Just double-checked my local copy of the TUDD, and would you look at that - Azure Temple was indeed planned and documented. It's still technically feature creep in my eyes (why are you guys making bonus levels instead of the actual campaign?), but I suppose since it was planned from the onset, my argument is invalid. Redacted.

Last edited:
why are you guys making bonus levels instead of the actual campaign?
Well, quite simply, because the resources to make it were already there and I suddenly had a bout of inspiration, so I might as well just go for it. No sense in arbitrarily not working on something just because the ideas you've got going aren't for the highest priority goals.

Well, quite simply, because the resources to make it were already there and I suddenly had a bout of inspiration, so I might as well just go for it. No sense in arbitrarily not working on something just because the ideas you've got going aren't for the highest priority goals.

That's a luxury afforded to you by the ecosystem of fangame development, I guess.

..Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not particularly indicative of how the game dev industry really functions. In either case, that isn't the point I'm trying to make here... People have been patiently waiting for a specific subset of content from you guys. Content which is supposed to make up the singleplayer campaign proper, which - to my understanding - remains incomplete as of now.

It just seems a bit off to see a dev team so eager to throw bones to its loyal fanbase in every other direction except that. It's like you come home for Thanksgiving Dinner, eagerly awaiting the turkey...only to keep on getting pumpkin pie, again and again. I'm sure we're all big fans of the pie, but we're here to taste the turkey that you spent all this time preparing!

Last edited:
In either case, that isn't the point I'm trying to make here... People have been patiently waiting for a specific subset of content from you guys.

The netcode will probably end up taking the entire year, I think we can wait. :V

Spazzo, we've been straight-up honest about 2.1's development so far. We haven't made any sort of promise for something specific to happen and then said "Whoops it's not, here's some different stuff".
Take a look at this. This is what we've spoiled for 2.1 so far, and it's actually a fairly decent amount of stuff. No, it's not the meat of the single player campaign, but we never promised that for 2.1 either!

2.1 is going to be the release that 2.0 should have been, ultimately. Instead of focusing on lots of new content that will need tons of work and fixing, we're doing serious work on the quality of what's there. That's not to say that new content isn't going to happen, but there's a definite level of "Shit needs to be fixed" that we're focusing on here.

Best way to look at it: THZ and RVZ used to share a very similar gimmick - damaging water. Even with the solid lava, they're still alike. Now imagine what we can do to RVZ2 and make it not feel like THZ with a different skin. No point in holding up a release to build RVZ2 when we have brand new content in THZ to give alongside 2.1.

@Profesor Oak, yes, a CEZ boss has been created. It's undergoing beta testing.
The THZ slime is no different than a regular water FOF.

Last edited:
2.1 is going to be the release that 2.0 should have been, ultimately.
That's enough for me right there. I felt like 2.0 may have been released prematurely, so to speak. I was almost shocked when 2.0 came out the way it did. It didn't feel too different from the beta builds.

There were certain things I thought needed improving. One of them being Techno Hill Zone, as it felt relatively the same as Green Flower Zone. I also can't recall much difference from the 1.x versions. I'm glad to see the level get the facelift it has needed for a while now.

Another one of the issues I always had was with the OpenGL support. The Community Build sates my taste in that regard, so it's not a big deal. I would like to see the campaign worked on more eventually, but I think this release will be a necessary step that's been a long time coming.

People have been patiently waiting for a specific subset of content from you guys. Content which is supposed to make up the singleplayer campaign proper, which - to my understanding - remains incomplete as of now.

It just seems a bit off to see a dev team so eager to throw bones to its loyal fanbase in every other direction except that. It's like you come home for Thanksgiving Dinner, eagerly awaiting the turkey...only to keep on getting pumpkin pie, again and again. I'm sure we're all big fans of the pie, but we're here to taste the turkey that you spent all this time preparing!
I think you're misrepresenting the wishes of the community here. While we certainly would all like to see the missing levels - and I'm sure there are people for whom it would be the first priority - there's no general sentiment that the missing levels should come first and everything else second. If you ask me, the missing levels aren't the turkey. If anything, the whole single player campaign is the turkey, and as of 2.0, it's still pretty uncooked. If we have to wait three years, I'd much rather have a consistently cooked turkey than an even bigger uncooked one.

That's enough for me right there. I felt like 2.0 may have been released prematurely, so to speak. I was almost shocked when 2.0 came out the way it did. It didn't feel too different from the beta builds.

There were certain things I thought needed improving. One of them being Techno Hill Zone, as it felt relatively the same as Green Flower Zone. I also can't recall much difference from the 1.x versions. I'm glad to see the level get the facelift it has needed for a while now.

Another one of the issues I always had was with the OpenGL support. The Community Build sates my taste in that regard, so it's not a big deal. I would like to see the campaign worked on more eventually, but I think this release will be a necessary step that's been a long time coming.
But THZ didn't change from 1.09.4 to 2.0...
This update is really good though, I see a lot more bonus content added in proportion to how much was "added" in the last release

But THZ didn't change from 1.09.4 to 2.0...
This update is really good though, I see a lot more bonus content added in proportion to how much was "added" in the last release
I thought I said I didn't recall any changes? Either way, yes. It's good to see new content for Techno Hill Zone and to the game in general.

Edit: Yes, I'm aware I can scroll up and see it says "I can't recall much difference," thank you. The point remains the same either way.

Last edited:
Actually, I remember reading that CEZ3 was going to be the only new stage in 2.1 and that the boss was already done a while back.

That is what it said in the Wiki, so I am not sure. Diffrent things are said from diffrent people, but the only people who know, are the people who are making the game. We cannot asume anything. We can only hope the netcode is fixed soon, and we have another Srb2 version.

Remember that the 2.1 page on the Wiki is written by people who are reading and sometimes misinterpreting what the developers say. It's not maintained by us. It's right 99/100 times, but every so often there's going to be a line that's wrong.

I mean, technically you're getting at least 8 "new" stages here, the seven special stages, and CEZ3. Whether or not more will show up, well, you'll find out. Just don't make assumptions that the 2.1 Wiki page is exactly what's going to be in 2.1. Things happen, plans change. Content is added, removed, altered, etc all the time.

Last edited:
That is what it said in the Wiki, so I am not sure. Diffrent things are said from diffrent people, but the only people who know, are the people who are making the game. We cannot asume anything.
As far as I can see, everybody is saying the same thing: CEZ3 is the only new regular level in 2.1. Several other stages have been revamped, the special stages have been added, there might be new secret levels etc, but CEZ3 is the only completely new main level.

One question,

Is there going to be an ignore command? For all that's good in the universe tell me it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back