SRB2 Version 2.2 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoganA

Administrator
Administrator
Sonic Team Junior
Posted by Rob Tisdell on 12-07-2019 05:43 PM.

SRB2 Version 2.2 Released!

Hey all. 5 years. It’s been a wild ride for us, but we’re finally done. 2.2 is available on the Downloads page (currently torrent-only). If you aren’t familiar with torrents, there are instructions there for you.

I’m not going to bore you with an incredibly long post, so I’ll keep it super brief. I want to give a heartfelt thank you to all of you who stuck with us over the past 5 years, and to all of you who helped contribute along the way. This release is a major milestone for all of us. We’ve been hyping up that 2.2 is a massive upgrade in virtually all respects, and I hope that you won’t be disappointed. On behalf of the development team, enjoy!

General

• Slopes have been implemented into almost the entire campaign, including support for launching off of quarterpipes. No, before you ask, loops still aren’t possible.
  • An enormous number of graphics and textures have been updated or redone. Highlights include the title screen, Sonic and Tails, with separate sprites of Tails’s tails for optimum mofumofu.
  • Practically the entire soundtrack has been redone.
  • Character sprites now face the direction the player’s control inputs point instead of in the direction the camera is facing.
  • Automatic braking, a new assist feature, has been added. While enabled, releasing the controls will cause the player’s character to attempt to stop instead of coasting forward.
  • Tails’s AI has been significantly improved in Sonic & Tails mode, including allowing him to be commanded to fly you without using player 2’s controls.
  • The attraction, elemental, and force shields now have a jump-spin ability like whirlwind and armageddon already did.
  • Continuing the game after getting a game over now starts the player with more lives for each continue used.
  • The intro cutscene has been revamped with brand-new art, and the game now has a short ending sequence.
Levels

• Arid Canyon Zone Acts 2 and 3 now exist.
  • Almost the entire rest of the campaign has been remade from scratch or significantly updated.
  • Several bosses have had their arena and behavior updated.
  • The final battles have been adjusted to make losing not kick the player all the way back to the beginning of Eggrock.
  • A short, optional tutorial stage has been added.
  • Two stages previously from the OLDC have been included as unlockables.
  • Cooperative mode now uses the old 2.0 special stages, which have been slightly updated to be more multiplayer-friendly.
Interface

• The menus have been massively revamped to both look better and be easier to understand.
  • Controls, menus, and various other things have been renamed to make them easier to understand.
  • Record attack now has HUD elements to display the buttons being pressed both during gameplay and while watching replays.
  • Multiple accessibility features have been added, including closed-captioning and the ability to adjust the palette at runtime to add contrast to aid colorblind players.
Engine/Editing

• The palette has changed again to provide slightly more diverse color options
  • Music no longer restarts from the beginning after an interruption, such as getting an extra life.
  • Plugging in a controller during gameplay will allow that controller to be used instead of requiring the game to be restarted to recognize it.
  • Added support for paper sprites, which allow the sprite to be rendered as if it’s on an upright piece of paper, becoming thinner when viewed at an angle and disappearing entirely when viewed from the side. Think Paper Mario.
  • Textures can now be used as flats (but not vice-versa).
  • Skybox rendering has been significantly optimized.
  • PNG images can now be used as graphics, at any resolution (but not too high or you’ll run out of memory).
  • Sprite rotation is now supported.
  • libopenmpt support
  • Added support for the MD3 model format.
  • So many Lua changes we couldn’t possibly hope to list them all here.
Finally, as a reminder, the wiki is going to be out of date for a while until people have time to update it, so be aware that editing documentation is going to be sketchy until those updates are made. We recommend playing vanilla while you wait!

View on SRB2.org

Last edited by a moderator:
D_TsEeBXoAAAY-s

I know that it's only just been released, but should we expect to see a release on GitHub (therefore probably being "infinitely"-downloadable) or such sometime soon, or is it really going to stay torrent-only for a full day-ish?

Edit: My prayers have been answered: https://github.com/STJr/SRB2/releases

Last edited:
I am so impressed with the quality that 2.2 now has. It now feels more like a classic Sonic game, and I'm hoping it continues down this path. New levels are always good and the one thing we keep asking for, but it's the features that bring out the best of a game, and 2.2 is chock full of them. I love the new soundtrack, new enemy bots and redesigned bosses, the menu, and oh God that title screen. Too many features to count. But the one thing that brings out the best of the game is the art, which is why I'd like to thank MotorRoach for stepping up with remaking more than half of the sprites in the game. Doing them purely because he knows it can be improved shows how dedicated he is with this game.

So thanks to everyone from the development team for the continued devotion to the game. And thank you MotorRoach for improving the art of the game, and therefore bringing the quality to a whole new level.

5 years from the last major release, and hopefully the game will live on to see 2.3. It's been far too long since I first discovered the game with Demo 3, but I will never be too old to enjoy the Final Version.

So far, I'm really enjoying 2.2 compared to the previous versions of SRB2. It is exciting to see that this major update has really improved SRB2.

Here we are in the future, and it's bright!

I can't believe we've come so far...

Firstly, congrats on the release and keeping this game alive for so long, Secondly, is there a way to disable the thok/glide always going where the camera is facing? I've played on controller for years, and this little change alone makes me hate playing as Sonic or Knux without a M&KB.

Is there any way to restore the old style controls? This new one isn't meshing well with me.

I managed to beat it as Sonic & Tails in one go. And already this is a HUGE step up from 2.1

There's so much content and surprises here, that I can't spoil the surprise for those going in. I will give a more complete review of each level once I finish the game at least 5 times.

Oh, and major issue
OPTIMIZE CEZ2 DAMMIT!

Is it my browser or does the download link for the windows 32x version on the site do nothing after clicking it but change the url

Last edited:
Oh boy looks like Discord decided to break in half on today of all days. #srb2fun still exists at least. =V

At least this way everyone gets their first playthrough to be unspoiled and unbiased. :P It's not much of an upside, but always look on the bright side of life...

By the way, including a tutorial was a fantastic idea. Just that small addition increases the game's accessibility by 1000%.

Two mirrors

Two mirrors for you; both 100 Mbit/s, unlimited traffic. I'll keep both online until they are obsoleted by the next release, or for at least one year. Choose one:

• (offline)
  • (offline)

To verify the integrity of the file, you can use the checksum that will hopefully soon be available on the official download page.

Have fun playing and best regards

Last edited:
This game is incredible. I can't believe SRB2 and Black Mesa both hit their 5 years in-waiting updates within 8 hours of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back