Team Kinetic (Dirk, Whirl, & Vesola)

Team Kinetic (Dirk, Whirl, & Vesola) v2.2.0

Wouldn't it just be easier for people to check if Dirk's skin is valid and player.mo.dirk_frozen == true, and then set their state to their freeze animation?

Last edited:
This ability is inconsistent with his ice platforms, which lower his friction when standing atop them. Pick one or the other.
In the attached GIF right below where it says "Slippery Floor Resistance (Passive Ability)", it's shown that Dirk is slipperier on ice than he is on normal ground, just not as slippery as other characters. It's more so 50%* slippery floor resistance than 100%.

So it's possible that the ice platforms lower his friction by intention, but just less so than it would for other characters.

* I don't know exactly how much, but more than 0% yet less than 100%.

Of course playing as Dirk is still just as fun as always.

I'm not sure how you've done it, but you have made cute snow doggy even more adorable than ever before.

I just had to say this, because I didn't think he could get any cuter, but he is now.

Dirk has always been my favorite character to play as because he's just really fun to play as and also adorable. <:3c

Dirk's ice surfing causes desynch due to the Dirk Train mechanic not accounting for Dirk's ice physics moving him along, meaning that if you don't hold a direction at all times the other players could end up being further behind than the game expects sometimes.

Dirk's ice surfing causes desynch due to the Dirk Train mechanic not accounting for Dirk's ice physics moving him along, meaning that if you don't hold a direction at all times the other players could end up being further behind than the game expects sometimes.

That will hopefully be fixed in the next patch or update.

And for those for who curious on the name thread, Yes, a v2.1 update was going to happen today. Unfortunately, that may not happen due to the attachment myself not working for some reason.

Got the thread back and running so its time for me to put the details that I wanted to put up from yesterday. The Version 2.1 update of Dirk has been released with new stuff added in. Mostly adding support to CobaltBW's battle mod and some other bug fixes and changes. Check the Match Weapons section for information about Dirk's battle mod ability.

For any other stuff, I've included a piece of code for frozen sprites so that you can put in the frozen sprites in your own addons.

Anyways, here's the changelog for the Version 2.1 update.

Version 2.1 changelog:
• NEW! Added support for CBW's Battle Mod. Read the weapons section for the details. Thank CobaltBW for helping me code this.
• Frozen sprites for custom characters are moved from SPR2s to sprites. This means they will load properly whenever you add in Dirk first or after the supported characters are added. Thanks Tatsuru!
• Added frozen sprite support for Eggman (Egg Pack), Egg Robo, and HMS123311 (SteelT ver.)
• Removed friction for ice platforms, ice surf, and frost walker
• Tweaked Ice Surf object colors
• Added color changing variants for ringslinger weapons. Making it easier to tell team attacks or defense.
• Snow Storm Mine got an upgrade! It now uses 16 sprite angles instead of 8
• Dirk's shield scale is now 1.05
• Tweaked ride and signpost sprites
• Ice Surf objects no longer crush players
• Ice surf recovery has been removed

Last edited:
Forgot to update the start up message bit number from 2.0.1 to 2.1.0. Please redownload if you got the older v2.1 pk3.

This this and this

2nd gif explanation - i can't spin off of the ice platform sometimes
1st gif explanation - i can ice platform 6 times with the elemental shield

and why did you remove the friction noooooooo plssss ;-; rip

Attachments

• srb20136.gif
    5 MB · Views: 224
  • srb20142.gif
    4.3 MB · Views: 224
Also if dirk freezes someone while dying or something this happens?
Every skin loses it's frames?

Attachments

• srb20143.gif
    4.3 MB · Views: 307
Also Dirk's surf move now seems to be impossible to control in simple mode with keyboard... idk if it was always this hard. Also I kinda miss the traction as it made it more fluid.

SRB2 Rant
For beginners is a horrible mindset, Sonic has never been for beginners, the tutorial is useless, just because it's doom it's suddenly super hard to get used to a normal 3d control scheme? No sonic game has a tutorial.

Well think about it this way: SRB2 has developed for a long time, changing physics and game rules up until today. Sure, no Sonic game had a tutorial but even with the old Genesis Sonic games you have the manual. SRB2 doesn't seem to have that, despite it being clearly possible on account of SRB2Kart having it's manual ready by the press of F1.

I guess it's more about "making it more accessible" than "keeping old tropes" now. Plus I don't even think the Rant was supposed to be in here of all places.

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter on what gameplay style you use. Using Ice Surf is move that takes a bit of time to get the hang of, just like SRB2 in general. As for the ice friction removal, for this reason:

This ability is inconsistent with his ice platforms, which lower his friction when standing atop them.

It's true that having the friction for his main abilities breaks consistency with his passive. Not to mention, Dirk's is the boy who is capable of using ice abilities so therefore he shouldn't have friction with his Ice platforms and Ice surf. Having friction on ice platforms makes it harder for players to stand on anyways. So yeah, there's your reason on why I removed it in the v2.1 update.

Dirk's surf move in the latest update now feels horrid to control, with keyboard controls at least. I prefer the old surf move, I could actually move around in it. If you could please have some sort of toggle if you REALLY believe the new one is better, despite it being damn uncontrollable at least in my experience.

Version 2.1.1 patch has been released!

This patch mostly buffs Dirk's battle mod stuff to make him more useful. The sad news is that frozen sprites have been removed. Every character that uses SPR2_FROZ except Dirk now uses SPR2_DEAD instead. Before I have many comments on why I remove them, here's an explanation on why.

The reason is between the SPR2_FROZ freeslot and models. Frozen sprites uses custom face expressions for a huge list of characters. It would be a pain for modelers to add in expressions for existing models (It would take up poly count for models as well.). Some bits like Uglyknux not changing skincolor and Egg-Robo getting his jets put out are kept in though.

You can still add in frozen sprites to your character. Just apply this to any SOC lump:
Freeslot
SPR2_FROZ

Sprite2 SPR2_FROZ
Default = SPR2_DEAD

Speaking of models, here's a sneak peak on what's coming for you OpenGL users. When its done of course.
srb20059.png

Huge thanks to Tiniest Turtles for modeling the boy.

Anyways, here's the changelog for v2.1.1:

• Ice platform ability no longer resets when landing on a platform while using elemental stomp
• Dirk can no longer use his abilities after using a shield ability
• Removed unnecessary freeslot in the SOC files
• Added Silver telekinesis properties to Ice Shard.
• Fixed an issue where Dirk's frost breath deals damage
• Removed frozen sprites. Dirk's still has his and some support for other characters are kept in.
• Several buffs to Dirk in Battle mod:
- Reduced Ring amount to 16 rings
- Increased Frost Stun radius from 256 to 320
- Reduced Charge time from 3 to 1.5 seconds
- Reduced Cooldown time from 10 to 7 seconds
- Frozen players fly lower after being frozen. Making it easier to deal combos
- Scoring points for freezing players has been reduced from 50 to 25 points.

Last edited:
Version 2.1.2 has been released. That's it.

• Disabled Abilities and weapons when playing on Tron gametype
• Added 2 secrets involving character interactions

What? We're you expecting another patch that has some more bugfixes?
TOO BAD! WALUIGI TIME!!!

Happy April Fools!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back