Is OpenGL not fully supported?

Saturn Ross

The Local Bird-Brain
So, I've basically awoken from the dead to come back for 2.2, and I love it. I beat the entire game, was feeling really nostalgic, and was caught off guard at everything (In a good way).

But then I noticed something. There's no .bat file for loading into OpenGL, and when I made my own, not only did I learn OpenGL crashes upon loading a map, but it also really weirdly crops the screen in 1080p.

Here are my two screencaps with the exact errors I got.

unknown.png

unknown.png

OpenGL isn't as fully supported as Software is. There are fixes coming soon to fix some of the problems that do exist for OGL though.

Last edited:
I recommend downloading a launcher (You will probably have to look in the outdated releases section for now) and launching in OGL that way. I have been using one intended for version 2.1, but it works perfectly fine for 2.2.

The lack of a .bat for launching OpenGL was not deliberate ...we just forgot to include one apparently. Hopefully we'll remember to include one in a 2.2 patch when it happens.

First time I've heard of the cropping thing for 1080p though, that is weird.

You have heard about it already, MI. I reported that when you or someone else did some GL screen buffer fixes back in 2017 or something. It was put on the backburner because there didn't seem to be a better way to fix whatever it was without causing that.

OpenGL works for me..

I do have a complaint though, the texture filtering is very different from 2.1. I have no idea how texture filtering works, but none of the filters in 2.2 look good at all. I use nearest_mipmap on 2.1 because it only filters distant textures, leaving the closer textures (like your character) as they are. It makes the game look good, without looking blurry like trilinear filtering does.
On 2.2, nearest_mipmap completely blurs the character textures, it looks awful to be honest. Bilinear and trilinear don't look good either.

Edit: image for comparison
0WzHGRN.png

Last edited:
I use the 2.1 Opengl.bat to play in OpenGL, but it's not fully supported; most stages get bugged visuals but they don't bother if you know the stages...
I hope it gets fixed soon.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back