To all those going 'OMG I CANT CONECT 2TEH MASTASERVA!'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take as long as you like going this master server update thing because if you break it and/or you cant get the features to work then alot of people will go chaotic

At $100-200 a month, I'd host more than the MS on there, probably 2 or 3 SRB2 dedicated servers and the new site on there...

I know someone who owns a hosting company, I'm the head of their game server department now, maybe I can get something out of him if I rake in customers and such.

Guys, get buying servers, UT2004, Gmod, TF2, HL2DM, just BUY them. Hell, I may even work out a deal with him to 'sell' SRB2 servers privately, but not really sell since that would get SEGA on my back, more like, you know, I give you stuff and you are grateful so you 'donate' to me :)

ERROR: 10060 - A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

What The Hell again?

Cue said:
Mike_The_Hedgehog said:
You aren't getting what I was saying. I'm not phased much by that I'm ticked enough by his annoying "TEH NEW MB" Idea this evens itself out anyway.

The new MB is needed because the old one sucks and has horrible administration, you have no idea what the backend of this thing is like.
PhpBB2 is well known as the best open source forum software availible. Just because you dislike open source dosen't mean you should slam it.

By the way, you may remember me. I am the one of who exposed habbzo. You know what I'm talking about.

Amen. You should really check out MyBB, Miles. It blows away so many freeware MB software out there, it just rocks.

Doesn't MyBB have huge security holes in its software?

Besides, MyBB has a lot of features, yeah, but it's mostly just a filler composed of a gazillion useless features you wouldn't ever really use. That's what mods are for. You start with the basic forum software, and you build up to what you need, as opposed to starting out with a ton of crap and disabling what you don't need/want (and still not having what's necessary, unless there are mods for MyBB (which I think there might be), and if there are, it's just ANOTHER EXTRA STEP (plus security holes =D)).

Yay, MyBB?
More like: DO NOT WANT

Ash, Security holes are in every piece of forum software. That argument can be used against any software nowadays. Yes, this software has a ton of features that may not be used, but it is also fast on the servers as well. I understand what you mean, but what features does MyBB have that is overkill? Quick reply? In-line moderation tools? Template editing in the ACP? Thread rating? Hmmm? Yes, there are plenty of Mods for MyBB. Plus, if you install any mods, the mod could have a bug and your forum loses support too since you modified it. While phpBB2 is very basic, it just doesn't have the features that all modern message board software has.

A lot of the good features you mentioned are in phpBB3. I was not talking about phpBB2, just so you know; phpbb in general. As for security holes, yes, forum software has it (somewhere) -- most do. The beauty of phpBB is that the holes are known, and until the holes are fixed (it's on the server side (you must delete/remove install, contrib, and (optional) docs folder to remove the only known ones in the software), and the forum disables itself when the folders still exist in the forum directory). MyBB on the other hand has been prone to hacks in a matter of seconds, as with invision; they're very easily hacked, and it happens more often than most.

Mods? Simple: You make a backup. You should do that with whatever mod you install with whatever software you use. The bugs are usually stated within the download page, if not, you should see how well it installs on the current version of your MyBB is using (the one modded). In case it turns out completely useless, or very broken, you just reload the backup, and you're back at square one.

Also: phpBB2 is not modern forum software.

Honestly, I feel phpBB(3) > MyBB in so many aspects, it's not even funny. This is one of the many areas where simplicity is bliss...

The master server is not down. Cue never updated the first post.

Edit:
Ash, I am sure there are still big security holes in phpBB webware. Its just that no one has found them yet. Hacker normally keep there findings to them selfs. So security holes can be out for months or even years before they are fixed.

RE: Dedicated Server

Logan's gonna buy us a Dual Opteron 1.8ghz with 1.5tb of bandwidth per month and a 160gb HDD guys, feel free to donate to him at any time, he damn well deserves it!
Oh, by the way, Alam and I will be the server's admins.

So, uh, yeah, we're gonna have our own server and I'll be putting WINE on there, so say hello to a 24/7 dedicated server guys, with added extras thanks to my knowledge of the source code >;).

Cue said:
RE: Dedicated Server

Logan's gonna buy us a Dual Opteron 1.8ghz with 1.5tb of bandwidth per month and a 160gb HDD guys, feel free to donate to him at any time, he damn well deserves it!
Oh, by the way, Alam and I will be the server's admins.

So, uh, yeah, we're gonna have our own server and I'll be putting WINE on there, so say hello to a 24/7 dedicated server guys, with added extras thanks to my knowledge of the source code >;).

Hey Cue, did I mention I love you? =)

How can we donate if we have no information exactly how to do it?
All of these features are nice, but I'd like a bit of logic too; we need some of that (because of the severe logic deficiency we have now).

I thought adding some logic would be a waste of time, I assumed you guys had become to accustom to the lack of logic around the place that you wouldn't notice if I were to miss it out...

Logan, give them a paypal donate link :<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back