Why does most everybody here hate halo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue Warrior said:
Orangelink said:
All Halo is is just another attempt of Bill Gates trying to both brainwash you and suck your money out at the same time. Kind of like Windows... And, like windows, it's working.
...Cory's post was stupid? Frankly, I don't feel brainwashed OR broke for using a Windows XP. Please explain to me what you mean, or else I question your credibility.
No, I did not mean windows brainwashed you, I meant that you paid alot for it, and it is buggy, while you can get much, much better operating systems for free. I was trying to relate to it with Halo in that sense, and after a while didn't notice the brainwashing part of my post after a bit. I'll go edit the post right after this post.
luis90 said:
Orange link, how old are you, 8? Ever heard your friends at the Jr high school talking about it? Hm... Seems like you are being both ignorant, a fool, and you just lowered everyones opinion of yourself. :(
As for the age question, no, and I throw it back at you. I have played that game, searched it for any content in which they say it is so much better than any other FPS, and found none. Give me the reason in which I am being an ignorant fool, and the reason in which this game is so great. Then, I might agree.

@Sumakima Sorry, didn't notice that. I thought I spelled something there wrong... Editing now...

Sumakima said:
He is not. Halo is overrated. Halo is a bandwagon because it's popular, and people just want it for that reason. Because it is popular. Don't assume people are joking when it is the truth.

Still no reason to rationalize an entire portion of the video game industry, and call them nerds without any valid reason or thought. It's like calling every fan of Sonic a nerd. It's not true and you know it.

Plus, it's nerds who make all the cool electronic stuff out there. ex: MP3 players, Game systems, Portable video devices etc.[/b]

Kthx.
To back up Orangelink's statements, I've played Halo at a relative's house, and I thought it was all bark and no bite. Everyone was saying at my school, "OMG, LeIK, iyts teh uLtImAtE. Graphics an bxart are evrythin!!1!!!111111!!!!!!!!111111!!!1 Gameplay controls r teh suxors an r nt neded in gams." Well, not really, but you get the point. I really didn't like the way Halo's control scheme was set, ot an X-Box controller, for that matter. The gameplay... It was bad. Just... no. Remember the Flood level. Turn your light on, your dead. Keep it off, wander aimlessly through a big base or something, and you have a chance of almost reaching the end, dying, and having to start at the begining because you missed a checkpoint.
Theres my 2 cents.

Edit: Ice, here are a few definitions of the word "nerd"

A foolish, inept, or unattractive person.
A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.

a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.
an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.

1. [mainstream slang] Pejorative applied to anyone with an above-average IQ and few gifts at small talk and ordinary social rituals. 2. [jargon] Term of praise applied (in conscious ironic reference to sense 1) to someone who knows what's really important and interesting and doesn't care to be distracted by trivial chatter and silly status games. Compare the two senses of computer geek.

The word itself appears to derive from the lines "And then, just to show them, I'll sail to Ka-Troo / And Bring Back an It-Kutch, a Preep and a Proo, / A Nerkle, a Nerd, and a Seersucker, too!" in the Dr. Seuss book "If I Ran the Zoo" (1950). (The spellings `nurd' and `gnurd' also used to be current at MIT.) How it developed its mainstream meaning is unclear, but sense 1 seems to have entered mass culture in the early 1970s (there are reports that in the mid-1960s it meant roughly "annoying misfit" without the connotation of intelligence).

An IEEE Spectrum article (4/95, page 16) once derived `nerd' in its variant form `knurd' from the word `drunk' backwards, but this bears all the hallmarks of a bogus folk etymology.

Hackers developed sense 2 in self-defense perhaps ten years later, and some actually wear "Nerd Pride" buttons, only half as a joke. At MIT one can find not only buttons but (what else?) pocket protectors bearing the slogan and the MIT seal.

:D

luis90 said:
Orange link, how old are you, 8? Ever heard your friends at the Jr high school talking about it? Hm... Seems like you are being both ignorant, a fool, and you just lowered everyones opinion of yourself.
This coming from someone that has gibberish in their signature.

Sumakima said:
Kthx.
To back up Orangelink's statements, I've played Halo at a relative's house, and I thought it was all bark and no bite. Everyone was saying at my school, "OMG, LeIK, iyts teh uLtImAtE. Graphics an bxart are evrythin!!1!!!111111!!!!!!!!111111!!!1 Gameplay controls r teh suxors an r nt neded in gams." Well, not really, but you get the point. I really didn't like the way Halo's control scheme was set, ot an X-Box controller, for that matter. The gameplay... It was bad. Just... no. Remember the Flood level. Turn your light on, your dead. Keep it off, wander aimlessly through a big base or something, and you have a chance of almost reaching the end, dying, and having to start at the begining because you missed a checkpoint.
Theres my 2 cents.

Edit: Ice, here are a few definitions of the word "nerd"

A foolish, inept, or unattractive person.
A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.

a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.
an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.

1. [mainstream slang] Pejorative applied to anyone with an above-average IQ and few gifts at small talk and ordinary social rituals. 2. [jargon] Term of praise applied (in conscious ironic reference to sense 1) to someone who knows what's really important and interesting and doesn't care to be distracted by trivial chatter and silly status games. Compare the two senses of computer geek.

The word itself appears to derive from the lines "And then, just to show them, I'll sail to Ka-Troo / And Bring Back an It-Kutch, a Preep and a Proo, / A Nerkle, a Nerd, and a Seersucker, too!" in the Dr. Seuss book "If I Ran the Zoo" (1950). (The spellings `nurd' and `gnurd' also used to be current at MIT.) How it developed its mainstream meaning is unclear, but sense 1 seems to have entered mass culture in the early 1970s (there are reports that in the mid-1960s it meant roughly "annoying misfit" without the connotation of intelligence).

An IEEE Spectrum article (4/95, page 16) once derived `nerd' in its variant form `knurd' from the word `drunk' backwards, but this bears all the hallmarks of a bogus folk etymology.

Hackers developed sense 2 in self-defense perhaps ten years later, and some actually wear "Nerd Pride" buttons, only half as a joke. At MIT one can find not only buttons but (what else?) pocket protectors bearing the slogan and the MIT seal.

:D

Take a trip to dictionary.com I see... Lol

Have you beat the game through? Or did you just play one level? I remember that I hated Halo the first or second time I played it...
(an intelligent but single-minded person, perfect definition of Albert Einstien)

No, I didn't beat the game, I played through the "toughest level on legendary" and didn't die. I didn't beat the game because it was like almost every other FPS except it had "future-istic" weapons. I'm into finger-blistering action, not "throw a grenade to clear the area" action. It was boring, and the music made my ears bleed. I'm not into Opera or badly made rock songs, or a mix between the two. Most of the people that I know play Halo do have friends. Friends, that play Halo. I don't want to be a Halo nerd, or to have a Halo nerd as a friend. Get my point? This is why I hate Halo.
Theres my 2 Euros.

Sumakima said:
No, I didn't beat the game, I played through the "toughest level on legendary" and didn't die. I didn't beat the game because it was like almost every other FPS except it had "future-istic" weapons. I'm into finger-blistering action, not "throw a grenade to clear the area" action. It was boring, and the music made my ears bleed. I'm not into Opera or badly made rock songs, or a mix between the two. Most of the people that I know play Halo do have friends. Friends, that play Halo. I don't want to be a Halo nerd, or to have a Halo nerd as a friend. Get my point? This is why I hate Halo.
Theres my 2 Euros.

I have many friends who hate halo. I'm wondering which level you played, because there's many levels of flood (headcrabs). Most who OWN halo like it, because they played it all the way through. Most others have played it once, think that is how every level(or game) is, and hate it right off the back because it's overrated, wasn't how they expected, or didn't like the level. And they don't buy it for those reasons. Plus I like it because it's practically the only game in English up here...
There's MY dos pesos.

lolinternet.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back