Sonic Fan Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobinator

My thoughts on your posting
So hey, remember that one video a while back that had a Mushroom Hill remake and how amazing it looked? Remember how dissapointed you were when you found out it wasn't actually a game?

Be disappointed no more!

images

A demo for this came out yesterday, and you get 3 acts of Emerald Hill to play through. To be honest, sometimes all the detail makes it a little hard to see things, but I still think it's better than Sonic 4. I really like the whole thing they've got where Robotnik has already pretty much established himself all over Emerald Hill. It's like SatAM, only without all the terrible original characters! Or Jim Cummings. :(

LINK IS HERE! (Now Rapidshare-free!)

[01:30] <@Inuyasha> It gets the physics better than Sonic 4.
[01:30] <@Inuyasha> That's about it.
[01:30] <@Inuyasha> The game is ugly as sin.
[01:31] <@Inuyasha> There is a such thing as too much detail
[01:31] <@Inuyasha> That thing crosses that line, goes back over it, and crosses it again
[01:32] <@Inuyasha> And if you ask me, I'd rather play a game that has slightly odd physics but fine detail than one with good physics that you can't SEE anything in

[17:30] <@Inuyasha> this is basically Sonic 2 with imperfect (but better than S4) physics, and so much detail your eyes will bleed
[17:30] <@Inuyasha> Basically, why not just play Sonic 2
[17:30] <@Inuyasha> Not only that, if you play Sonic 2, you don't have to wait to play the entire game!
[17:30] <@Inuyasha> Because it's been out for 18 years now!
[17:31] <@Inuyasha> And you won't go blind trying to play it!

The badniks need to stand out a bit more, yeah. I do like how pretty it is though... and at night, the badniks get headlights. :o

But Matt, they covered all of the rocks with a bunch of vines! Doesn't Emerald hill look so much better covered in vines and huge mossy things and overall looking more like your generic videogame jungle level than an actual Sonic game?

I think they missed the point. Sonic games are not all about super great detail and graphics, they are about game play. I tried the demo yesterday and found that it was laggy for my laptop to play. Maybe I should get a new graphics card or maybe they should decrease the detail so I can play the demo without having my laptop lag.

I think it's great. Yes, the detail is poor, but it's a great example on the kind of direction Sega needs to head. Other than a couple physics hiccups, the control is almost perfect.

Although I've gotta ask... if you've got talent like this, why in the hell are you making FAN games?

Last edited:
Oh no, you didn't, Matt!

犬夜叉;692413 said:
[01:30] <@Inuyasha> It gets the physics better than Sonic 4.
[01:30] <@Inuyasha> That's about it.

What about the smooth animations and classic gameplay?

犬夜叉;692413 said:
[01:30] <@Inuyasha> The game is ugly as sin.
[01:31] <@Inuyasha> There is a such thing as too much detail

You seem to have problems with the Emerald Hill details, however, they don't bug me

犬夜叉;692413 said:
[01:31] <@Inuyasha> That thing crosses that line, goes back over it, and crosses it again

Sorry, I don't understand this one, which thing is it?

犬夜叉;692413 said:
[01:32] <@Inuyasha> And if you ask me, I'd rather play a game that has slightly odd physics but fine detail than one with good physics that you can't SEE anything in

"can't SEE anything"? I guess the vines and some other stuff on Emerald Hill kinda bug you or you didn't adjust your monitor contrast

I can clearly see things on the screen

犬夜叉;692413 said:
[17:30] <@Inuyasha> this is basically Sonic 2 with imperfect (but better than S4) physics, and so much detail your eyes will bleed

Your eyes bleeded? Are you okay? :<

犬夜叉;692413 said:
[17:30] <@Inuyasha> Basically, why not just play Sonic 2
[17:30] <@Inuyasha> Not only that, if you play Sonic 2, you don't have to wait to play the entire game!
[17:30] <@Inuyasha> Because it's been out for 18 years now!

This is the kind of thing that some person would say about something like Sonic 2 HD...

However, this is not Sonic 2, this is a game titled "Sonic Fan Remix", and besides, just a demo has been released, no one knows what else will be in the game

You say this is basicly Sonic 2 because of Emerald Hill being in the game, as I see

犬夜叉;692413 said:
[17:31] <@Inuyasha> And you won't go blind trying to play it!

You really went blind while playing it? :o

Once again, you just try to point out the things you don't like in something with something pointless that kinda sounds like a nerd-ish rant, it seems you don't even enjoyed this demo or you just like to disagree with most of people, I don't see exactly why. You should be a little more positive, because you talk like the game is terrible (not that I'm saying you said that, of course)

if you've got talent like this, why in the hell are you making FAN games?

I guess it's because the guy wanted to see how a Classic styled Sonic game would look if it used 3D graphics but still using 2D gameplay, perhaps the creator wasn't happy with the way Sonic 4 turned out

I think it's great. Yes, the detail is poor, but it's a great example on the kind of direction Sega needs to head. Other than a couple physics hiccups, the control is almost perfect.

Although I've gotta ask... if you've got talent like this, why in the hell are you making FAN games?
The detail isn't poor. It's just so good, that it sucks...

The graphics are just kind of too much detailed, a few people don't like it that way, I don't understand exactly why

Besides, I can't imagine how else the graphics could be like

犬夜叉;692413 said:
[01:30]slightly odd physics

I wish I could post this in every thread ever.

Anyway, this little remix thing is pretty damn nifty. It's not eye-rape unless it runs below 60 (even 30 is alright, I'd assume) FPS and you have a shitty display. tl;dr: If you have a PC that can handle this, it's beautiful. The music isn't that bad either. If they get their physics in check, they're set.

A number of those oddities are extremely rare and require you doing something counterproductive to what you're supposed to be doing ANYWAY.

And then there's the stopping in midair which I already said I hated.

So, your point?

(Also, pardon me while I stand straight up on a slope. get stuck in a wall and suddenly go faster than the camera could ever hope to keep up with, go too far left and skip to the end of an entire stage in record time, get hit and lose all of my rings while super... The classic games have a metric ton of errors in them too. You might want to bring them up as well.)

Last edited:
犬夜叉;692466 said:
get hit and lose all of my rings while super

This was likely intentional, first because it was the final boss, and second because the unreleased sonic 3 complete-on-one-cartridge that was never released had knuckles knock you out of super in the exact same way when you fought him.

...and obviously it isn't the final boss when you fight it as knuckles, since you'll bring that up if I don't.

Well I decided to give it a shot and this is really what I think about it.

Personally, I didn't think it was for what I hoped for. Sure, it may look like a replica of a Sonic Classic with HD, but it suffers some problems.

The frame rate is choppy as hell. It was that choppy, it felt slow doing a spin dash and running at max speed and usually my laptop can run stuff like this quite well, but not this time, stupid lag.

The detail of the "remake" was done to a point where it ended up being a bit of a mess and covering a majority of the screen not giving you a chance of where you are going and what's up ahead. I had this several times when the detail took me away from gameplay and running into hazards, which did kind of frustrate me a lot.

The Physics felt slightly odd, though tolerable.

I suppose there are a few decent things in it were the sound quality, the whale was pretty damn cool and I liked how there were things like butterflies flying around the level and street lamps at night, and whilst on that note, the time of day in the levels was cool.

From what I'm seeing, it's basically a remake of Sonic 2, but the zone acts are extended to 3 and is HD. I probably won't touch this until at least 6 or 7 zones are made & released (that's if they do get far with this project) I think I'll go boot Sonic Mega Collection and get Sonic 2 up so I can play the full zones.

Current Rating: 5/10

Last edited:
I'm very much looking forward to the final edition.
Personally, I loved the graphics. The extra detail didn't bother me in the least. Sonic's model looks great, although I think there must be a way to improve the jump/spindash animation from its current state. It looks very beautiful overall.

The animation is very smooth and the game runs at a very good frame rate (assuming your pc has high enough specs. Mine does not T-T)
There were a couple physics problems, but hopefully those will be fixed. Can't wait to see more...

To all who are actually having complaints with the game.

How are people here so much more negative about this game than Sonic 4? I seriously, honestly wonder about you people sometimes. This delivered on all fronts (despite bugs that Mercury and Pelikan promised to iron out) and you people are complaining about the graphics not looking Sonic enough?

I-I am seriously at a lack of words. I honestly am. Not only because the game looks gorgeously Sonic but because Inyuasha would prefer Sonic 4 to this because of the lesser detail. I haven't been more infuriated about this fanbase's actions than right now I believe.

I think I will be heading off back over to Retro now.

Funny enough, I've seen a few people (only from the SRB2 MB people) complaining about the graphics, one said that reality and Sonic don't mix, and Inuyasha says he can't see anything, I just don't understand why

Everyone else says that the graphics are delicious and that the game is smooth

What the hell, I'm complaining about complainers

and you people are complaining about the graphics not looking Sonic enough?

I-I am seriously at a lack of words. I honestly am. Not only because the game looks gorgeously Sonic but because Inyuasha would prefer Sonic 4 to this because of the lesser detail. I haven't been more infuriated about this fanbase's actions than right now I believe.

Try to understand where they're coming from. They do have valid arguments, even if you disagree with them. First off, let me state this:

------
It really seems like there are two main groups regarding the detail in Sonic Fan Remix:
- All the details make it look wonderful
- All the details make it hard to see

I personally fall in the first category, but I can understand the other side. It's quite a big change from any Sonic game we've seen so far.
-------
The graphics actually do look quite a bit different from the 'classic' sonic. The environment looks somewhat 'jungle-y' do to the grass looking like tropical/rainforest tree leaves. Also, the totem poles with their exaggerated features differ quite a bit from those in GHZ. Sonic 4 physics aside, I think both Sega's and pelikan's creations are valid attempts at a 'new' direction for 2D Sonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back